MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Qu-Bit Nebulae v2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next [all]
Author Qu-Bit Nebulae v2
migrations
muffmuffmuff wrote:
migrations wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
+1
you´re not the only one wink

OK, glad im not crazy. I thought for sure that I must be missing something because TBH I think that in every other way this module is brilliantly designed. I just assumed I was missing some important step in the process. Even trying it recording in circular recording mode still doesnt really achieve what I expected, though it does seem to come closer. Also, when sending triggers to the record input, to try to get a semblance of live input processing, I notice that it tends to make it glitch out. It will just start dropping audio until I turn it off, or switch the source to read from disk...

This little change in the code worked for me:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3001250#3001250

thumbs up

gave this a shot - didnt seem to work. I changed the code as the poster stated to, however the lines that they said the code appeared on were totally different. maybe due to a firmware revision since then? Either way when recording, it wouldnt capture anything in the buffer unless the blend was in the center. Oh well, no big deal. In addition to this, when recording I often get a really nasty chopping almost like a square wave tremolo sound on the recording. just cutting in and out in a really unpleasant way, which then gets recorded into the buffer. anyone else hear this?

happy to use this module as a sampler as thats where it really seems to shine. all the rest is just a cool add on but as a sample mangler it really is incredible so I dont really care if it cant do anything else
ddoyen
is a little bit of lag when shifting pitch using the 1 volt per octave normal?

For example if I make a really tiny sample size so it sounds like an oscillator tone, and send a sequencer to the 1 volt per octave, if i run the nebulae through a vca, when the envelope opens the vca, i can hear a tiny bit of the previous note of the sequence.
ddoyen
Any help? seriously, i just don't get it
danishchairs
ddoyen wrote:

For example if I make a really tiny sample size so it sounds like an oscillator tone, and send a sequencer to the 1 volt per octave, if i run the nebulae through a vca, when the envelope opens the vca, i can hear a tiny bit of the previous note of the sequence.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about latency and processing time. Perhaps that will help.
muffmuffmuff
ddoyen wrote:

I tried your patch and I have the same behaviour.
hemeroscopium
I'm just gonna ask here because its hard to see any video of that kind of use:

I wanna do "Steve Reich's phasing" with 2 nebs, will that work ?

1. Use manual latch to start recording on both Nebs simultaneously
2. Record same audio to both Nebs
3. Just slightly move the speed knob down on one Neb
4. Achieve phasing?

Or is there any simpler way to do it Q.Q
Gyroscope
hemeroscopium wrote:

4. Achieve phasing?

I ignore if there's a simpler way to do this but what you describe will let you get the result you want.
JES
hemeroscopium wrote:

4. Achieve phasing?

Yes, though there’s been some talk about real-time recording behaviour on this thread to check out.

But, and I say this as a happy Nebulae v2 owner, if you haven’t bought your two Nebs yet, this is one of the things an Octatrack (ok, not Euro) does well, and a mk1 is considerably cheaper than two Nebulae v2.
hemeroscopium
Thanks for the tip, i dont have any eurorack yet (im in 4u world), Octatrack seems like an option; i just wish it wasn't so overwhelming T_T.
JES
The trick with the OT is to actually try to do something, rather than to learn everything about the OT--which is strictly impossible (the same could be said of modular). For your case (and again, I stress I'm happy with the Nebulae), you'd set up a buffer to record, have it output to two tracks, put trigs on the first step of the two tracks, make sure they're both set to time stretch, and then slow down the pace. You don't need the crossfader, sequencer, or a dozen other awesome features that it has.

The OT is the best machine in the world for 1960s-70s tape music covers. Not a big niche, but a unique one.

You'd also need a way to get levels right between your 4U setup and the OT, since it's line level.

The Mk1 is a huge bargain right now, though the Mk2 is slightly nicer and I sometimes think of upgrading just for the better interface.

Apologies for the derail.
hemeroscopium
Thank you again, great info, ill now go lurk on Octatrack vids smile
muffmuffmuff
hemeroscopium wrote:

4. Achieve phasing?

You can do it with only one Nebulae.

- Let the phrase play via your oscillator of your choice
- Record the phrase to the Nebulae (BLEND at 12 o'clock)
- After recording set BLEND fully CCW and check that your recording loops nicely (adjust START and SIZE if neccessary)
- Leave your oscillator running
- Set BLEND to about 9 o'clock
- Enjoy phase (adjust START/SIZE for phasing speed, or alternatively change the tempo of the phrase playing through your oscillator)
Nielsen
Is anyone using the Nebulae as a looper and have any tips for me? I want to play a sequence, sample it (clocked or quantized) via the Nebulae and blend it with the original signal. Maybe some sound on sound looping. I’m using my Octatrack for this at the moment, but I want to ditch it for some reasons.
danishchairs
Nielsen wrote:
Is anyone using the Nebulae as a looper and have any tips for me? I want to play a sequence, sample it (clocked or quantized) via the Nebulae and blend it with the original signal.

The steps outlined in the post just before/above your post should get you started.

Nielsen wrote:
Maybe some sound on sound looping...

Hit record again. (Check out the manual for more detailed information.)

You may be interested in the discussion of latency, beginning on pg. 39 of this thread.
digidandy
I don't know if the "reset" input is working like I expect.

I am sending it a trigger signal from Wogglebug (gate out), but the sound doesn't play back from the beginning - it just seems to "play through". Even though there is no modulation of the start point on the Nebulae, for example.

Is it (in grains mode) possible to retrigger the sound from the start, every time a trigger is sent into "reset"?
danishchairs
digidandy wrote:
Is it (in grains mode) possible to retrigger the sound from the start, every time a trigger is sent into "reset"?

I’m away from the module right now, but, yes. Assuming you are using the default instrument, the Neb2 reset button and CV “resets the playback position to the currently selected loop start point.“ (Quote is from the manual.)

A few things to try/test:
    a) Does tapping the reset button return playback to the loop start point?

b) Send a trigger into the reset input jack, first with the blend knob fully CCW, and then fully CW. Is the reset behavior the same in both conditions?

c) Try using different modules to send your reset trigger. Do any of them behave differently than the Wogglebug?
Funky40
Nielsen wrote:
Is anyone using the Nebulae as a looper and have any tips for me?

the question is what you mean with: "looper" .....??

"recording" a loop, and starting it by trigger/retrigger is working good imo.
But thats not "exactly" a looper then wink

i like it to use it as a "looper" more in the sense of narrowing down the start and end points to a small or smaller segment, and then let that play in loop and "jam" with that loop further ( i.e. wiggling with speed, pitch, plus start and end point adjustments).
( i think some people refer to it as tape loop music....? (without the wiggling))
just send a retrigger in every now and then.

The Range of uses of the Neb2 in "this area" is quite big !
We still don´t have many tools in euro that i would consider usefull for that type of work ( never had the asimil8or, .....which has reasons / never had the morphagene cause i think its not for me).
The NEB definitly has its own sound ! and also its own quirks on the sound which absolutely can turn into an advantage also ! ( smearing transients for example.......while this effect can lead to super nice plopps on the other side with very sharp sounds and some CVing ( not wiggling ........for this type of effect)

I find the NEB2 VERY useful !
and i think all this upfront questions with certain types of uses in mind are just not doing justice to eurorack in general but also to "sampler work" in general.

the most sinfull upfront question would be:
"What are the quirks and drawbacks of the NEB2 in regards to working with ?".
The main one for most might be:
_the latency
_the way "live-loop" recording is arranged ( recording the wet signal vs. grabbing the input signal only)

this are both restrictions that limit the use to some extent
davidh
actualy I love the "live-loop", it records what you hear, like phonogene
Mr. Aloud
Folks,

tried to read all 45 pages, my head is spinning. Can someone please summarize the current state?

I´m torn between Nebulae v2 and Supercell, would love to get a module that can be used as either an effect processor or an instrument (triggering granular sounds from memory and CV the hell out of them).

One more thing: Regarding the different firmwares, instruments etc that seem to work or not.... to be quite honest this feels like the good old days of Win95, interrupt jumpers, port addresses and trying to get it up and running for music making. Please tell me I´m wrong and things are easier and stable unless you WANT to experiment.
Prunesquallor
Mr. Aloud wrote:
Folks,

tried to read all 45 pages, my head is spinning. Can someone please summarize the current state?

I´m torn between Nebulae v2 and Supercell, would love to get a module that can be used as either an effect processor or an instrument (triggering granular sounds from memory and CV the hell out of them).

One more thing: Regarding the different firmwares, instruments etc that seem to work or not.... to be quite honest this feels like the good old days of Win95, interrupt jumpers, port addresses and trying to get it up and running for music making. Please tell me I´m wrong and things are easier and stable unless you WANT to experiment.

Tell me about it! I wish the alt firmware stuff would be moved to a separate thread... Anyway, bear in mind the Instruo granular processor and looper will be released soon, along with the Mordax module. Emilie is also working on Clouds 2. Personally, I'm going to wait for the fight off. Fencing
Gyroscope
Mr. Aloud wrote:
Folks,

The module is great as is. No need to mess with the alternative instruments if you don't want to. Very pleased with mine.
Zymos
At this point, there is no " Clouds 2" upcoming and may never be. Check out the MI forum, there was a post just a few days ago.

But back on topic, Neb works great for its main function right out of the box
Prunesquallor
Zymos wrote:
At this point, there is no " Clouds 2" upcoming and may never be. Check out the MI forum, there was a post just a few days ago.

I didn't know. Thanks for sharing that.
Funky40
OT:

Zymos wrote:

post #170
edit: and read post 177 !!!!

edit2+3: the link has been posted also in the "No news on mutable Instruments" Thread !
see there please: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182756&start=300
Zymos
Considering that people are complaining about the size of this thread already, we should probably try to keep the focus on Nebulae.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next [all]
Page 45 of 46