MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Zoom Livetrack L-12
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Zoom Livetrack L-12
geremyf
Hi,

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/production-recording/live-sound-recor ding/zoom-livetrak-l-12

If I didn't already have a k-mix I might have gotten one of these instead. Looks super nice and portable.
geremyf
damn double post.

Anyway:

Mixer
Multi-Track Recorder
Built-in effects
USB Audio
Jason Brock
Impressive features in a small package - 8 mic pres, scene recall. Nice.
thevegasnerve
yeah, I am excited about this one, possible upgrade from my Zoom R8. Only thing missing are a couple of aux sends, but its digital so I get that.
mckenic
Umm - thats interesting!
Sound quality, price and size will decide it ultimately for me. But Im very interested, thanks for posting it!
mckenic
mckenic wrote:
Umm - thats interesting!
Sound quality, price and size will decide it ultimately for me. But Im very interested, thanks for posting it!

EDIT - seems it will sit in a rack so check, €600 ish not terrible for all the features it offers, so sound quality would be the key for me.

(I had been thinking of the XR-18/iPad solutions for awhile)
GovernorSilver
Too bad there's only one aux send - otherwise I might consider it over the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK as my next mixer - that other mixer has 3 aux sends.
geremyf
The zoom has 5 independent headphone out mixes, which could be used a lot like aux sends.
Klangzaun
Missing more aux sends... May they come up with a L16 or L20 version...
windspirit
Yeah the price isn't great but this seems like the perfect size for my setup right now. I live in a studio where the music setup is constantly getting shifted around so setting up the computer to multitrack is a pain. Having something like this with 12 channels of recording right away will make me record a lot more music.
Trigga
looks interesting! but what about MIDI? that's also what the older units were lacking.
StepLogik
Trigga wrote:
looks interesting! but what about MIDI? that's also what the older units were lacking.

But the older, older units had MIDI lol

It is a shame that Zoom has steadily reduced the MIDI support in their digital multitracks. If you go back to the HD16, it had a built-in MIDI sequencer that sync'd to the audio tracks. Then they went to USB MIDI for sync, and now nothing. Too bad.
AdamJay
Good to see a Zoom with more than 8 channels.

Was really wanting something like this, with standalone record capabilities, last summer when I went with the Qu-Pac.
No complaints on the Qu, the input count is great, but I would have liked something in the $500-$700 range like this + a patchbay.
Zoom's overdub feature is a plus.
Klangzaun
Some month ago I sold a Yamaha AW1600. It would fit perfectly to my demands nowadays. very frustrating

Now I'm interested in the Zoom...
radiokoala
Very exciting announce, and very probable I'll have one in the future. I just plain love zoom, and the quality of their effects and everything. The only thing I wish my R8 had is less menu-based interface, as effect algorithms themselves are top-notch, but accessing the parameters is a matter of going through a couple of pages, and—as a result,—I rarely if ever change any settings. To see the dedicated controls for channel strip / fx parameters was quite the news and very welcome. The only caveat emptor I came across reading through the manual is dsp effects & EQ are disabled when recording in 96 kHz, which is somewhat limiting its use as a mixer. BugBrand!
Knights Who Say Neve
I still have an Akai DPS24 which is a great unit, but too damn big and heavy for casual use. I'll probably grab this. It looks about perfect for late night jam sessions, which are the only kind I've been having lately (why do people want to wait until 1am to start playing? <sigh>). No more need to dick around with a hastily set up mixer, headphone distributor and audio interface combo (which is not something i like to do at any time, let alone at 1am).

Also:
- Built-in input compression (after the A/D conversion, but still useful)
- 5 separate headphone mixes
- Projects can be copied to USB on the unit, so no need to get out the laptop and card reader and/or burn a disc so everyone can go home with a copy
- Small enough for carry-on luggage
- Rackmountable
- Marker drop and footswitch punch-in on unit.

They're not saying if the shell is metal or plastic (and it's "lightweight"), which makes me think it's plastic. Not a deal breaker, but for me that makes a case mandatory - no wrapping it in a towel and tucking it into the cable & adaptors bag.
calaveras
Am I reading this right or does it only record at 96 khz internally. When connected to a DAW it hops back down to 48k?
Ranxerox
geremyf wrote:
The zoom has 5 independent headphone out mixes, which could be used a lot like aux sends.

Yes, that seems to be the case. Pressing the 'Fader select' button, use the faders to set the output level for each channel feeding the corresponding monitor output i.e. just like an auxiliary buss.

As there are not dedicated channel controls for each monitor buss, and the faders are not 'moving faders', the downside is you lose the physical fader positions when switching between busses.
geremyf
Yeah but you have to sacrifice something to get to that size. I bet the lights indicate fader positions when switching between mixes.
GovernorSilver
calaveras wrote:
Am I reading this right or does it only record at 96 khz internally. When connected to a DAW it hops back down to 48k?

Manual says you can select between 3 sample rates, 96 khz being the highest.

This piece of the manual might be more worrisome to some people - I never record at 96khz so I don't care, personally:

Quote:
When 96 kHz is selected, some unit operations are limited. The limited functions are as follows.
- Recordable tracks: tracks 1–12 only
- SEND EFX: disabled
- EQ: disabled
- OVER DUB: disabled
- Audio interface: disabled
- MONITOR OUT: output signal same as MASTER only
calaveras
yeah, this is 2017. There is no reason for things to not be able to work at 96k.
USB 3.0 is fast as shit. 24/96 converters are cheap and common. I can buy them on DigiKey, or Mouser. And there is no end of cheap microprocessors.
This kind of half assed support for 96k is just margin shaving bullshit.
GovernorSilver
Ranxerox wrote:
geremyf wrote:

Yes, that seems to be the case. Pressing the 'Fader select' button, use the faders to set the output level for each channel feeding the corresponding monitor output i.e. just like an auxiliary buss.

As there are not dedicated channel controls for each monitor buss, and the faders are not 'moving faders', the downside is you lose the physical fader positions when switching between busses.

Good observations. I can live with using the 5 headphone mix outs as aux sends.

My current USB audio interface has a top sample rate of 48khz, so I don't care about the 96khz thing. The closest competition I'm looking at, the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK, has a max sampling rate of 48khz.

I don't think there is any other mixer that can double as a USB audio interface/recorder and sample up to 96 khz that will cost me less than $600 new - just don't care enough to spend more.
Paranormal Patroler
Got an R8 and a Kmix, why am I even considering this??
AdamJay
Because, as a species, we have evolved to seek dopamine, and ignore contentment.

The "next thing" intrigues us and the anticipation of obtaining it primes the reward center.

We imagine it as one of many keys to happiness. But happiness is fleeting, and so once the thing is obtained, our desire for happiness (which disregards contentment) seeks the next thing to be fascinated by to re-up on dopamine.

Oh wait, was that a rhetorical question?
Paranormal Patroler
It was. I was just following the thread and expressing an interest in a new zoom device. The R8 lacks a few things but it's more than enough for my needs. Staving off the gas has been a thing for me for quite a while.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2