MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to connect tini jax (or 3.5 mm) to banana jack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author How to connect tini jax (or 3.5 mm) to banana jack
tommyecho
Hi everybody,

I know there are a couple of threads that discuss making a cable for this sort of thing, but I'm actually just trying to connect a tini jax socket to 3.5mm socket. These will be mounted in my 208 toolbox, which I just finished building It's peanut butter jelly time! . This is only my second electronics project, so I'm a bit new and just want to make sure I do it right. There are three pins on the tinijax and one on the bananajack. I know there's some grounding issue when going from eurorack to buchla (which is my intention). . . hmmm.....

Any ideas?

In case you're interested in the toolbox, here's the site for them:

http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html#doc
papz
If the tini jax has 3 pins, it's a normalized one, you don' need this feature, ignore the central pin.

To connect to a 3.5mm jack socket, solder the tip to the tip and the ring to the ring.
And the ring to ground.

To connect to a banana socket, solder the tip to the banana.
Ground connection between the synths must be done separately as there's only 1 contact on the banana.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60233&highlight=
tommyecho
Thanks for the reply!

It looks like the central pin is connected to the tip.

I read that other thread before, but it didn't address my question (or I am just really confused).

Right now, I have the center, large pin on the tinijax connected to the banana jack. In this photo, the pin on the left, which I am assuming is ground, is connected to 0 volts ground on the 208 toolbox. I am thinking that this makes the ground good between eurorack and the buchla, and if i connect a 3.5 mm cable from eurorack into the tinijax and then run a banana patch cord from the banana socket to the envelope sync jack on the toolbox, I should be sync'd. I just tried this and got no result.

Any clear, thorough directions would be greatly appreciated! I'm a neophyte at this[/img]

papz
This is not a normalized tinijax, it has 2 pins only, not 3 : one is signal (connected to the bent metal piece), the other is ground (connected to ring).

Do a continuity test to check you didn't swap connections.
tommyecho
Maybe the angle in the photo makes it unclear, but I think this has 3 pins and is normalized. From my understanding of other jacks, it seems that the bent metal piece is connected to the to the tip and is signal. Of the two other pins, one is the ring and functions as a tip switch, and the other is the sleeve (ground). In the photo, the one next to my thumb looks to be the sleeve/ground pin. I have connected the sleeve/ground pin to 0 volts on the toolbox, and I have connected the large, bent signal pin to the banana jack. I am thinking that the 0 volts on the toolbox is equivalent to the universal ground on the side of the music easel, so that leads me to believe that this should complete the job, and I should now be able to run eurorack triggers or a sequencer to trigger an envelope on the easel. Unfortunately, I'm getting no signal, so something is amiss Dead Banana
dkcg
tommyecho wrote:
Maybe the angle in the photo makes it unclear, but I think this has 3 pins and is normalized. From my understanding of other jacks, it seems that the bent metal piece is connected to the to the tip and is signal. Of the two other pins, one is the ring and functions as a tip switch, and the other is the sleeve (ground). In the photo, the one next to my thumb looks to be the sleeve/ground pin. I have connected the sleeve/ground pin to 0 volts on the toolbox, and I have connected the large, bent signal pin to the banana jack. I am thinking that the 0 volts on the toolbox is equivalent to the universal ground on the side of the music easel, so that leads me to believe that this should complete the job, and I should now be able to run eurorack triggers or a sequencer to trigger an envelope on the easel. Unfortunately, I'm getting no signal, so something is amiss Dead Banana

are you sure your signals are hot enough to trigger the Buchla? I don't know about the easel, but I believe the 281e won't open til you hit 10v.
And to doublecheck, the ground cable is connected to the easel ground?

Just try making a simple converter box. LoGain makes some pedal enclosure converters. I got one and it works perfectly. The circuit is simple enough that I made a bigger version with more converters on a faceplate.

Lyonel posted a picture of a simple cable with mono 1/8" one end, CV and ground on the other. I couldn't find it here, maybe another member can?
Graham Hinton
tommyecho wrote:
Maybe the angle in the photo makes it unclear, but I think this has 3 pins and is normalized.

No, your picture is perfectly clear. It is a type 41 Tini-Jax jack.

Quote:
From my understanding of other jacks, it seems that the bent metal piece is connected to the to the tip and is signal. Of the two other pins, one is the ring and functions as a tip switch, and the other is the sleeve (ground).

There are not two "other" pins. There are two solder tags. One for signal, one for screen. Follow the metal layers between the insulating discs, the tip contact spring goes around to one of the tags. There is no "ring".
The switched jack is a type 42A and has three solder tags with the break contact in the middle.

Quote:
I know there are a couple of threads that discuss making a cable for this sort of thing, but I'm actually just trying to connect a tini jax socket to 3.5mm socket.

Just use a 3.5mm cable, they will fit these jack types (with a very slight lean). They may not activate a break switch though and a Tini-Jax plug will have problems with many 3.5mm jacks, but you are not trying to do either.
tommyecho
Thanks dkcg and Graham! This is really quite helpful

Those LoGain boxes look pretty perfect for my needs. I wasn't aware of those

Graham, thanks for the clarification about the tini-jax jack. If I have the screen solder tag connected to ground and the signal solder tag connected to the banana jax, then am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is connect a 3.5mm patch cord from a eurorack module to the tinijax and it will be routed out through the banana jack for use on the easel?

Thanks again, guys.

Tom
Graham Hinton
tommyecho wrote:
If I have the screen solder tag connected to ground and the signal solder tag connected to the banana jax, then am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is connect a 3.5mm patch cord from a eurorack module to the tinijax and it will be routed out through the banana jack for use on the easel?

No. It depends where the Tini-Jax jack is. The Eurorack and banana systems need a common 0V and there is usually a banana jack on a panel or on the PSU for this purpose, but not on Eurorack.

If you are making a panel or box adapter connect the Tini-Jax screen to another banana jack and patch that to the PSU/panel 0V jack.
tommyecho
Cool, thanks again for the help: )

In this case, the tini-jax screen is connected to the 0v of the buchla while the signal is connected to the bananjack for output. In this case, the 3.5mm cable from eurorack will make the connection for common ground while also transmitting CV. Is that correct, or do I still need to send another cable to the 0v jack on the side? The toolbox has 0volts on it, making it convenient to connect the screen of the tini-jax
fluxmonkey
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsad.html
Graham Hinton
tommyecho wrote:
In this case, the 3.5mm cable from eurorack will make the connection for common ground while also transmitting CV. Is that correct, or do I still need to send another cable to the 0v jack on the side?

It will make a connection, but should not be the connection. The difference is in the resistance of the two paths.

Cable screens should not be carrying signal return currents. This is a basic rule of electronics that is frequently ignored. To reduce the screen currents an alternative path has to be provided of a much lower resistance. Conventionally banana leads are used between systems, but they are only a similar resistance so they don't achieve very much, just better than nothing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1