MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Screw Jomox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Screw Jomox
Hi5
Without going into extended details, the backlight on the display of my Xbase 999 went out after buying it new just 2 years ago. Contacted them directly to get a repair sorted and I don't think I've had such a lazy, unhelpful customer service experience in my life.

Long story short, they told me to find a local tech which I luckily did but the real trouble came when my tech asked for the display specs to see if he had a suitable one on hand or if we'd have to order one before sending the 999 in. It took about 3 months to get a simple answer from Jomox. Most of this time was just no response to my emails. Today I finally got the info I needed but in a very condescending email. Sorry to have inconvenienced the mfg of a product that you can't even support a shitty display choice with a simple email of specs.

I've always spoke well of Jomox products publicly and to friends defending their "quirky" OS because the products always sounded incredible. After this recent interaction I have to say I will not support them monetarily or in any other way. All I needed was the specs of a simple display that I'm fixing myself which never should have been such an ordeal. Customer Service 101 failure.
xonetacular
sorry to hear

should post screens of the email chain
ignatius
actually, should post the screen specs in case someone else has same problem. save them the hassle.
rowsbywoof
ignatius wrote:
actually, should post the screen specs in case someone else has same problem. save them the hassle.

Yeah, I agree that it's frustrating, but better to leave this as Jomox's support is desperately lacking (not a huge surprise to me, I've heard similar stories in the past), and post that spec here for the screen so in the future people have an easier time of doing a repair than dealing with Jomox.

Their overall build quality, and spotty support, is the main reason I have stayed away from their products over the long haul. Had a MBase09 I simply needed PSU info for, as I bought one second hand, and never heard back from Jomox at all via email. I later found the specs online and got a replacement, but yeah, zero help from the Jomox folks at all.
CF3
Hi5 wrote:
Contacted them directly to get a repair sorted and I don't think I've had such a lazy, unhelpful customer service experience in my life.

Ditto this.

Sadly, I've had the same experience over the years. So much so I've decided to never buy Jomox again. Which makes me a very sad panda. I understand there's a certain limit to tech support, but goddamn, just getting a response to an email is next to impossible.

I sincerely hope this changes, cause sonically I really like how they sound. waah
cupperwear
I'm in support of posting the screen specs for future help.

However, with regards to posting an email chain, does publicly shaming a small synthesizer company in matters of customer service work? I have no idea of Jomox's operations, so I can't speak of their resources, but I would be equally pissed off in this situation.
Prints
Oh no, you're making me reconsider the Jomox Alpha Base I have on preorder.
cupperwear
I don't typically consider customer service when I'm gassing over something, but after the excellent service experiences I've received from some companies (Jason Fry at FSFX, Samuel at AudioThingies, Roger Arrick at synthesizers.com), it's something I'll keep in mind, esp. after reading posts here, which incidentally makes me rethink my last post. smile
astrodislocate
cupperwear wrote:
does publicly shaming a small synthesizer company in matters of customer service work?

I don't know if "shaming" them will change their attitude towards customer service, but at the same time a lot of their products are extremely expensive, and I think people should know what it is they're getting for their money. OP did a good thing as far as I'm concerned
cupperwear
I agree. I think the OP's description suffices without the need for overt documentation of an email chain.

This type of "my experience with ___ company" thread can be helpful. I was considering buying a product from a small 5U manufacturer, but after reading one horror story after another, it was clear that I should stay away and I'm glad I did.
Prints
I think to see the email chain would be nice. I spent a lot of $ on the Alpha Base, and I'd like to get as clear a picture as possible regarding what type of treatment I should expect if I were to need some type of service/repair.
Hi5
Here is the spec I got on the display for those that may need it

EW24210YLY from EDT

2x24 char alphanumeric display with 16 pin connector lefthand

It's actually a very standard display so the time it took to get an answer is even more nonsensical.

I'm not one to post an email chain but I will say that the last email I received from them after telling them they didn't need to be condescending started with them saying they like to be grumpy and condescending. Love the sound but hard pass on Jomox from here on out for me.
oldgearguy
Similar frustrating experience back when I bought a Neuronium Resonator. That one experience completely turned me off from ever buying anything they make ever again.
Prints
ugh.. I think I'm going to cancel my preorder.
julian
Couldn't the tech have googled the display part number and pulled the specs that way?

I might be missing something, but the simplicity of the answer may, conversely, have delayed the response.

I mean its not exactly an excuse, but its (a bit) like someone mailing asking what screwdriver to use?
Hainbach
Jürgen is not the most customer friendly guy, especially from an American standpoint on customer service which is radically different from the German one (which is kafkaesk), but I had nothing but good experiences with him, even out of warranty.
PISS.EXE
julian wrote:
Couldn't the tech have googled the display part number and pulled the specs that way?

I might be missing something, but the simplicity of the answer may, conversely, have delayed the response.

I mean its not exactly an excuse, but its (a bit) like someone mailing asking what screwdriver to use?

This is how I feel. When my airbase 99's screen didn't die but i wanted to change it for a new OLED one I opened it myself and looked and saw it was a HD44780. Those are so fuckin easy to find replacements for it's ridiculous.

Shit! I didn't even open mine up. I just looked at google images of opened Airbase 99's to learn this.
Hi5
My tech was asking ahead of time for the display type to see if he had one already so when I bring it in we wouldn't have to be waiting for one if it needed to be ordered. The 999 is still completely functional and I use it almost everyday so I'd like to minimize the time I don't have it. I did ask for the display type in the very first contact so this could have been resolved with one email.

Regardless of how easy it may have been to identify once the box was opened up it's still no reason to take months to get a simple answer. It took weeks to get an answer on whether or not they would do the repair.

Cultural differences aside, this was shitty service regardless where you're from.
Hi5
Hainbach wrote:
Jürgen is not the most customer friendly guy, especially from an American standpoint on customer service which is radically different from the German one (which is kafkaesk), but I had nothing but good experiences with him, even out of warranty.

Maybe you have to be a local to get any help. My unit was only 2 years old and I got none.
Paranormal Patroler
Hi5 wrote:

Cultural differences aside, this was shitty service regardless where you're from.

I have to agree with this. No excuse in not replying to emails after months.
sinfunc
similar experience years ago with an xbase 09. granted, i was able to conjure up a response from jurgen, but he was not helpful and kind of rude in addressing what was seemingly an appropriate and relevant concern/question. despite this, the xbase was/is a great sounding box.
sansnom
Hainbach wrote:

I too can attest that American customer service expectations are completely out of sync with that of the Germans most of the time.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but this could be cultural difference at play here.

Just something to consider.
buzzlegs
Unfortunately i've had similar experience with Jomox too, bypass switch on my T-Res broke, never got a reply from Jomox at all about what replacement part i needed, ended up just selling the machine, real shame as i really like there products!
acidbob
My experience with Jomox was good, but I have to say that at first I thought it was a bit rude, now that I come to think of it he just gave me the details needed, nothing more nothing less. Short and precise.
Zenn
sansnom wrote:
Hainbach wrote:

Just something to consider.

I've had excellent, within-the-hour responses of Doepfer (Dieter himself) and Vermona, both offering to repair a broken unit at no cost. So this has nothing to do with Germans I'd say.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3