MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCV: Open-source virtual Eurorack DAW
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Author VCV: Open-source virtual Eurorack DAW
WIZARDISHUNGRY
alexander92 wrote:
Also, id like to know if its possible to obtain and use the plugins without Internet? I build a hackintosh, but currently it has no internet...

The plugin page has direct download links and I believe the FAQ has information on which directory to put extracted zips into.
chamomileshark
hi, can someone help me get to record the audio in Cubase 9.5?

Although I've had cubase for decades I'm still very vague on the audio routing stuff.

So, this is what I've done and found so far.

Installed VCV Bridge 64bit.

Added an Audio module to Rack from the Core plugin, and selected "Bridge" from the driver dropdown list. Opened the device menu to select the Bridge port as 1.

Added the "VCV Bridge" effect plugin to an audio track. Opened the plugin parameters and set the Bridge port setting to 1.

I got audio but hitting record results in a silent recording.

So I assumed I should be adding the VCV Bridge plugin to the "Stereo in" channel. Tried that. No audio.

Help?
Monotremata
chamomileshark wrote:
hi, can someone help me get to record the audio in Cubase 9.5?

Although I've had cubase for decades I'm still very vague on the audio routing stuff.

So, this is what I've done and found so far.

Installed VCV Bridge 64bit.

Added an Audio module to Rack from the Core plugin, and selected "Bridge" from the driver dropdown list. Opened the device menu to select the Bridge port as 1.

Added the "VCV Bridge" effect plugin to an audio track. Opened the plugin parameters and set the Bridge port setting to 1.

I got audio but hitting record results in a silent recording.

So I assumed I should be adding the VCV Bridge plugin to the "Stereo in" channel. Tried that. No audio.

Help?

Read my post on the page right before this.. Rack does the same thing in Logic, I left notes on how I got it to work for me.
chamomileshark
ok, I will try that tomorow - I did think of that but then got a bit stuck - heading off now to see a film
Vortico
For those who aren't following the Twitter/Facebook, I'd added a new Bridge page in the VCV Rack manual. https://vcvrack.com/manual/Bridge.html The manual is also now user-editable through GitHub if you'd like to add instructions for using Bridge with your favorite DAW.
chamomileshark
ok, I think I have it working in Cubase 9.5 so thanks Monotramata.

I'll do a bit more testing in the next few days and if I can figure out how to do the Github thing I will add it. If I can't I'll set it out here.

Looking forward to playing with this - I was never entirely happy with reaktor blocks and my hardware modulars aren't Eurorack.
chamomileshark
ok, I'm not sure how to add this to Github - it looks as if it's beyond me but here are the instructions for both recording into Cubase and sending MIDI from it to VCV Rack.

VCV Rack & Cubase 9.5

1. Recording audio from VCV Rack into Cubase 9.5.

Launch VCV Rack.

Add an Audio module from the Core modules.

Set the Audio module to "Bridge" and "Port 1"

Within Cubase create audio track. Call it for example "VCV Audio in".

Add "VCV Rack Bridge" as an insert. This plugin comes as an optional install within the current VCV rack download – I chose to install the 64bit version. (If "VCV Bridge" does not appear in the default list of insert plugins you will need to install it seperately.)

Set Port within VCV Rack Bridge plugin to "Port 1"

As you cannot record directly onto this "VCV Audio in" track you need to add a buss to send the audio to a seperate audio track and record on that.

To do this;

Add a Group track, call it for example "Buss VCV".

In the Cubase Mixer routing change the "VCV Audio in" routing out to "Buss VCV".

Create another audio track and call it, for example, "VCV Record".

In the Cubase Mixer change the input routing for "VCV Record" to "Buss VCV".

VCV Record track will now record the audio output from the VCV Rack.

2. Sending MIDI into VCV Rack from a Cubase MIDI track (or controller).

Example is for Windows using LoopMIDI (a donatioware application available from https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html )

Lauch LoopMIDI

Within VCV Rack patch add a MIDI 1 module from the Core modules.

Set the MIDI 1 module to "Windows MIDI", "LoopMIDI Port 1", "Channel 1"

From the MIDI 1 module send the CV out to an Oscillator "V/Oct" (for pitch), send the "Gate" to an ADSR module "Gate".

Within Cubase add a MIDI track and set the output routing to LoopMIDI, channel 1.
Vortico
I've finally created a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/vcvrack/. I'll make Rack and plugin annoucements there as well as the Twitter account at https://twitter.com/vcvrack.
tarmoog
Nice, Thank you for update.

Still it is quite a CPU hog when running as VST instrument with Reason.

In standalone mode I can get a loads of more modules before running into performance issues.

Kinda curious how it utilizes cpu(multiple cores?) when running with VST bridge.

If more cores would help maybe there would be some interesting options in the future from AMD and also Intel smile
tarmoog
Workaround solution I found is to use 2 audio interfaces and sending midi through vst bridge and have DAW and VCV run audio through different audio interfaces.

Having MIDI bridge still keeps them nicely in sync and I can get more performance out of vcv rack.
Luap
A while back I mentioned that VCVRack 0.6.0 wouldn't quit using the Menu bar quit option (It won't quit from the dock icon either)
This is still the same in 0.6.1 but now its worse because the previously available option to quit from the VCVRack window itself (which did work) has now gone. Am I missing a preferred way to simply shut down the software?
(OS X 10.12.6)
Gharwen
A week ago I stumbled over VCV-Rack and get speechless...

Thank you Vortico for this awesome thing.
I guess I won't figure out all possibilities until I'm laying six feet under... hihi

For fun, does anyone calculate the cost in case of buying all modules in hardware (if they are available in hardware)...?

For those who are beginners in modular synthesizers I found the Youtube channel of Modular Curiosity who did a bunch of very good tutorials and explanations.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnZEv3hADF9ELOIwUNu6RVg/videos
Luap
Luap wrote:
Just some feedback on the .6 update if I may..

I can't Quit the software by going to 'Rack' in the menu bar > Quit Rack. Nothing happens. Its fine if I go to quit via the file menu however.
(Mac/10.12.6)
I also get rather a lot of 'Could not load plugin' type errors on boot, even after updating the modules. I notice some have shifted to 'paid' tho, so half expected I guess.

Otherwise running well so far here cool

Luap wrote:
A while back I mentioned that VCVRack 0.6.0 wouldn't quit using the Menu bar quit option (It won't quit from the dock icon either)
This is still the same in 0.6.1 but now its worse because the previously available option to quit from the VCVRack window itself (which did work) has now gone. Am I missing a preferred way to simply shut down the software?
(OS X 10.12.6)

Bueller....?
doepferiano
A review of NYSTHI modules (with a buchla/serge twist ) from

http://soundbytesmag.net/review-nysthi-modules-for-vcv-rack/
TXBDan
Man, this on an ipad would rock my world.
electricanada
TXBDan wrote:

Agreed. I like the idea of VCVRack, but dislike using it with a mouse. It would be a lot more fun on a touchscreen. How does it work on MS Surface?
Monotremata
Luap wrote:
(OS X 10.12.6)

Its been awhile since I read up on the details but what is Rack based on lib wise?? I know Java and QT both have some issues with the menu bar here and there and some of those commands don't work up there. Maybe VCVRack is the same?? I have a couple cross platform front ends for the MAME emulator, one is in Java, the other is QT based. The QT one cant quit from the menu bar or the dock, it has to be closed by clicking the main windows red X button. The Java one, CMD-H or the menu bar won't hide the application. When you use either one, it sends whatever command he has mapped to the About command on the menu.. When I pointed this out to the dev in the last version he knew right away and said 'Yeah sorry, its a Java bug, theyre all gonna do that on MacOS, until they fix it thats how it is.'
Holiday
I tried with the VST plugin in Ableton. The CPU in Ableton is jumping all over the place from 30% to over 140%, essentially making the VCV rack unusable without crackling distortion. Everything is set up correct. Just wondering if VCV Rack is just way to CPU intensive for my Macbook Core i5.
secretkillerofnames
I've found it quite stable in Bitwig but i'm not asking it to do too much at the moment. Certainly no big CPU jumps which I have definitely noticed in Live 9 and Reason.

And FWIW I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 i7 server model.
Agawell
I haven't used Rack for a bit

but it was pretty stable standalone (0.5.0) on my 2016 MacbookPro 13" (i5 escape key)

but it would have serious issues if anything else was running (mainly lumen, praxisLive and Processing3) at which point it slows down considerably and stutters and glitches all over the place, which in some ways worked and others didn't) tried again with 0.6.0 - same result - but dekstops' audio recorders have disappeared and I can't be arsed to debug the code to get it to work - hopefully some one else will

I'll keep an eye out and try again when it's more stable or I've managed to get myself a more powerful computer - or try running it on my 2012 macbookpro retina - once it's repaired
SynthBaron
It's probably because it takes up a lot of GPU resources, and you will run into issues if you're using the built in one of your CPU (as is the case with most laptops). I had to buy a newer graphics card to use with it, and even then it takes up about 15% of the resources of this desktop GTX 1050 to just run the GUI of Rack.
SynthBaron
SynthBaron wrote:
Vortico wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
setting/CV ranges have obviously changed.

On what modules? It's not too late for a fix!

I'm not sure if I could actually tell you which. I think you mentioned in a post somewhere that it would be changing a bit. If you load the patch file here (https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2773885#2773885), it sounds different on .51 vs .6.

Not a big deal, not even a complaint really. I am too beyond impressed with the software to even care, lol...

I figured out what it was: if you change the sample rate of the audio engine, it changes the way modules respond. If you change it a few times, it also seems to corrupt a patch so much that it crashes the program and your patch will refuse to load when you re-launch the app. Thus necessitating clicking "yes" to that dialog box that pops up asking if you want to clear the current patch and start over to fix it.
Luap
Monotremata wrote:

Its been awhile since I read up on the details but what is Rack based on lib wise?? I know Java and QT both have some issues with the menu bar here and there and some of those commands don't work up there. Maybe VCVRack is the same?? I have a couple cross platform front ends for the MAME emulator, one is in Java, the other is QT based. The QT one cant quit from the menu bar or the dock, it has to be closed by clicking the main windows red X button. The Java one, CMD-H or the menu bar won't hide the application. When you use either one, it sends whatever command he has mapped to the About command on the menu.. When I pointed this out to the dev in the last version he knew right away and said 'Yeah sorry, its a Java bug, theyre all gonna do that on MacOS, until they fix it thats how it is.'

Thanks for your insight thumbs up Unfortunately im not really down with all the technicated code type hoopla. But yes! Simply clicking the red traffic light button does indeed do the job. Im not sure why I didn't try that before. Although its one of those inconsistent Mac oddities, in that the red button behaves differently in different software. Hence I don't generally use it to quit software.

The issue it still in the latest 0.6.2b incidentally. And Vortico has seemingly chosen not to respond here on the matter? confused I would guess because hes already aware. But some confirmation would have been appreciated so that I don't feel like im wasting my time reporting this stuff.
I'll give the betas a miss from here.. But i'll certainly be back to give V1 a go, whenever that is cool
Vortico
I cannot reproduce your "quit" issue on MacOS. I can successfully quit Rack as expected with Cmd+Q, clicking on the Red quit icon in the window, using Rack > Quit from the menu, and quiting from the Dock.
Ears
electricanada wrote:
TXBDan wrote:

Agreed. I like the idea of VCVRack, but dislike using it with a mouse. It would be a lot more fun on a touchscreen. How does it work on MS Surface?

VCV performs well enough in terms of CPU on my Surface Pro (tho it does get warm and eats battery), but touch and pen don't work well since knobs require a mouse to turn. Using a pen or mouse only sets them to noon or hard clockwise unless there is some trick I'm missing. It did take time to figure out how to draw patch connections but once I got the hang it's rather nice. Dev said there's no plans to build better support for touch.

If you're dead set on modular on your Surface, when on the train and in live performance I've found the NI Reaktor/Reaktor Blocks has decent touch and pen capability - tho no multitouch if you want to turn two knobs at the same time. For those cases, I map a midi controller. But NI is obviously a great deal more expensive and is much rougher on CPU.

iPad on the other hand is a modular touch screen playground. I bought an iPad pro just for all the cool music and modular apps that really make amazing use of touch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Page 21 of 24