MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mroztronium Grackler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mroztronium Grackler
Repeater

Hi folks. I'm announcing the first production instrument from my new company Mroztronium. It's called The Grackler.

The Grackler is a standalone chaotic voltage controlled instrument consisting of a Grackler Core and a pair of VC Band Pass Filters. It can produce an endless variety of sounds that resemble aleatoric music boxes, bubbles, bird songs, digestive noises and primitive vocalizations in stereo. It is also fit for using its particular brand of entropic spice to control modular synthesizers or other voltage controlled instruments.

The Grackler Core is a circuit with four unusual VCOs cross modulating one another in a ring specifically designed to create a sort of polyphonic entropic voltage source. The VCOs go from so high that they are well above human hearing to so low that below a certain threshold they freeze and store an unpredictable LOW or HIGH state until they receive enough juice to kick them back into seesaw action. Each VCO has three distinct ranges selectable via toggle switches.

The VC Band Pass Filters are OTA-based state-variable filters with very interesting and adjustable overload characteristics. You can process signals from the Grackler Core or external signals through the filters via the green banana jacks. I would recommend first trying the XOR outputs. With frequencies low and input levels set low, Serge-esque filter pings are produced. Overloading the input stages, plugging in audio rate FM signals and cranking the resonance (or any combination of these) produces chaotic behavior and unpredictable timbres.

The 12 outputs available from the Grackler Core include sawtooth waves, rectangle waves, XOR compared squares, and stepped waveforms derived from two differently weighted sums of the four VCOs. These outputs can also be stacked via banana cables to create even more complicated waveforms. When used in the high frequency ranges, the Grackler Core also works as a flexible voltage controlled noise source. Lastly, the complexity of the Grackler Core can be further enhanced by plugging in an external signal in place of the internal reference voltage assigned to the MACRO knob. Even simple CV sources like LFOs, gates and step sequencers can dramatically ramp up the insanity.

There is more information here: http://mroztronium.blogspot.com/p/grackler.html

I'm not on Muffwiggler much these days, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. Feel free to email me as well: mroztronium@gmail.com
Paranormal Patroler
Looks the bomb. Too bad it can't process external audio sources. Looking forward to your designs!
Repeater
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Looks the bomb. Too bad it can't process external audio sources. Looking forward to your designs!

Thanks. I'm glad that you brought this up. The Grackler PCB is itself modular and can be customized in a variety of ways. It can be built in the following manner to suit external audio processing through the filters:

(1) Internal wiring between the XOR outs and the filters is disabled
(2) Two of the sawtooth outs are omitted from the panel and replaced with audio inputs to the filters

With this mod, one can replicate the stock behavior with a couple extra banana cables. This mod is available at no extra charge. I am happy to discuss this and other mods via email.
wednesdayayay
yes this looks awesome
what kind of voltage ranges are on the outputs and what is expected on the inputs?
if it goes above below does it just get clipped off?
I have been wanting something for stereo (ciat-lonbarde land) filtering for so long and I have been considering this heavily
are the 4 blue filter FM inputer for both freq and resonance for the Left and Right filters?
I'm be thinking about some more questions thank you so much this looks and sounds great
Paranormal Patroler
Repeater wrote:

Thanks. I'm glad that you brought this up. The Grackler PCB is itself modular and can be customized in a variety of ways. It can be built in the following manner to suit external audio processing through the filters.

Would love to hear a demo. No rush, if it comes up at any time please make one!
Repeater
wednesdayayay wrote:
yes this looks awesome
what kind of voltage ranges are on the outputs and what is expected on the inputs?

if it goes above below does it just get clipped off?

Outputs are in the range of 0-9V. The 1/4" filter outs are closer to line level. Outputs are short-circuit protected and can be stacked without mixers.

CV inputs can take +/-10V from Serge or Eurorack just fine. There is protection from voltages outside of the Grackler's supply voltage.

Negative CVs won't necessarily get lopped off and ignored. They will interact with the CV summing stages within the Filters and Grackler Core.

wednesdayayay wrote:

I have been wanting something for stereo (ciat-lonbarde land) filtering for so long and I have been considering this heavily
are the 4 blue filter FM inputer for both freq and resonance for the Left and Right filters?

The blue bananas are differential CV inputs for filter frequency. Resonance is a manual potentiometer control, highly interactive with input levels and filter frequency.

The Grackler plays nicely with the recent banana-bearing Ciat Lonbarde stuff as well as Lorre Mill's Double Knot.
Repeater

Would love to hear a demo. No rush, if it comes up at any time please make one!

Hi. I've received some orders for Gracklers with the audio in mod. Demos forthcoming.
wednesdayayay
my research is down to 3 devices I'll probably be in touch soon!

I'm excited for the demos
horaflora
Ordered!
Repeater

It seems that everyone wants the audio input mod so it is now standard issue. The green jacks feed into the filter audio inputs and replace the hardwiring that was present before. The bottom row of knobs now acts as input level controls for each input to both filters.

I've uploaded several examples of the Grackler filters processing popular song here:
https://www.instagram.com/mroztronium/

Also, jack color coding has been formalized:
Green = Audio input
Blue = CV input
Grey = Oscillator output (Sawtooth)
Orange = CV output (Stepped CVs)
Red = Gate/Logic output (Rectangles)
Black = Ground, never used for anything else
wednesdayayay
I like the looks and sound of that applause

how does the external CV input do with audio rate modulations (or just actual audio) is that better suited for the 4 FM inputs?

so with the new green inputs if you don't have anything patched you won't hear the grackler core is the correct?

you just patch together whatever you want to hear into the filter inputs?
chrisdermo
Such a fantastic sounding instrument. One day I will get one to join my other banana buddies headbang
Repeater
wednesdayayay wrote:

how does the external CV input do with audio rate modulations (or just actual audio) is that better suited for the 4 FM inputs?

It works well. Contact mics are fun there too. If you're using line level audio, you may have to amplify it externally to get good results.

wednesdayayay wrote:

so with the new green inputs if you don't have anything patched you won't hear the grackler core is the correct?

you just patch together whatever you want to hear into the filter inputs?

Yep. The exception is that high resonance may result in self-oscillation without an input. You can use the filters independently of the Grackler Core if you want.

On the original Grackler, the XOR outputs (upper two red jacks) were hard-wired to the filter inputs. Now you can patch in whatever you want.
glia
This brings me such joy! Beautiful design and potential in this device. Can't wait to try bridging between my other instruments and fx
windspirit
Really dig the sounds and the big silly knob in the middle that controls everything. I am guessing this plays nicely with ciat lonbarde?
Repeater
windspirit wrote:
I am guessing this plays nicely with ciat lonbarde?

Yep, see my response to wednesdayayay above.
BugBrand
I very much liked the sounds when I listened last week -- love these sort of chaotic systems.
Repeater
BugBrand wrote:
I very much liked the sounds when I listened last week -- love these sort of chaotic systems.

I'm glad you enjoy it. I loved playing with my friend's Board Weevil in 2009. It was the first electronic instrument I played that felt right and a large part of what motivated me to start to learn about electronics back then. thumbs up
BugBrand
Big smiles!
Repeater
Updated the first post to reflect the addition of external signal processing.
chrisdermo
Very much looking forward to hearing lots more recordings of this beaut! Glia have you ordered one? Would love to hear it working with some Ciat gear too.
PLNB
I just received mine last weekend. Lots to explore here!!! Still need to dive into the audio in mangling, but patching, stacking and slowly shifting the big dial brings out all kinds of varying tones.
horaflora
I accidentally posted in the Soft Pop thread the other day, and hadn't fixed my errrorr yet - but I tacked a few tracks onto this pre-existing album, 2 of solo grackler going through a few iterations of a semi-generative patch, then the last track is grackler integrated with ciat and double knot,though the grackler is obvious if you know what to listen for, it is not the focus of the track, I was just playing and recorded a bit of it...

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=772992547 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
Repeater
horaflora wrote:
I accidentally posted in the Soft Pop thread the other day, and hadn't fixed my errrorr yet - but I tacked a few tracks onto this pre-existing album, 2 of solo grackler going through a few iterations of a semi-generative patch, then the last track is grackler integrated with ciat and double knot,though the grackler is obvious if you know what to listen for, it is not the focus of the track, I was just playing and recorded a bit of it...

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=772992547 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

That last track is awesome. applause
chrisdermo
Repeater wrote:
horaflora wrote:

That last track is awesome. applause

Superb! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Also I ordered your new tape out on Phinery thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2