MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Haible Krautrock Phaser OR Oakley Deep Equinoxe
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Haible Krautrock Phaser OR Oakley Deep Equinoxe
johny_gtr
Hello!

I'm interested in adding phaser module to my system and want to choose one of these two. Maybe some of us has both module and can compare it. It will be also interested if anyone has FSFX Haible Krautrock Phaser and can create some demos. Official demos are not representative at all.
drob842
Any reason that you're only considering these two? I've never used the krautrock phaser, but I owned a Deep Equinoxe for about a year a thought it was a nice module. I also had the Moogerfooger 12-step phaser for awhile and it was equally nice. I ended up selling the Moog and Deep Equinoxe and recently acquired the FSFX Tau Pipe phaser. I immediately emailed Jason because I literally said "wow" the first time I patched up the pipe. I think it sounds incredible. I don't think I'll ever buy another phaser. I'd strongly recommend considering that module as well.

Sorry, I know that isn't an incredibly helpful reply. Whoops.
johny_gtr
drob842 wrote:
Any reason that you're only considering these two? I've never used the krautrock phaser, but I owned a Deep Equinoxe for about a year a thought it was a nice module. I also had the Moogerfooger 12-step phaser for awhile and it was equally nice. I ended up selling the Moog and Deep Equinoxe and recently acquired the FSFX Tau Pipe phaser. I immediately emailed Jason because I literally said "wow" the first time I patched up the pipe. I think it sounds incredible. I don't think I'll ever buy another phaser. I'd strongly recommend considering that module as well.

Sorry, I know that isn't an incredibly helpful reply. Whoops.

Thank you for your reply.
I've only found these two phaser in MU format and it was a reason why I'm deciding between these two.

It will be great some demos of Tau phaser from you.
I have heard some demos of Tau and it sounds closer to my flanger effect that for phasers. Maybe it's multi purpose module.
Klangzaun
I see that MU format is a must... Nevertheless I want to recommend the Source Audio Lunar Phaser.

I tried
EHX Small Stone
EHX Bad Stone
EHX stereo PolyPhase
Moog MoogerFooger 12 stage Phaser

The best one out of these was the stereo polyphaser. For the others it was hard to adjust the start and end points. It means the phaser killed too much bass or too much hights.

However I am happy with the Lunar Phaser to archive a nice vintage phaser sound. As far as you can use presets from their chorus (Gemini) and flanger (Mercury) pedals as well, you get 3 pedals in 1. There is a desktop editor and a iOS App to dial in every little aspect of the effect. Whatever, I have done this in one session to have 3 nice presets available in the pedal and I am done. Now I use it as "regular" pedal with just tweaking 4 main parameters directly on the pedal.

Maybe it is worth a try.

If the choice is limited to 5U format, may the club of the knobs phaser is worth a look.
Synthbuilder
I love phasers. I got a whole bunch of them and I'd be miffed if I had to just have one. My favourite is still the Smallstone which is where the inspiration for the Equinoxe came from. If you like the Smallstone you should like the Equinoxe.

The Krautrock Phaser, which is a clone of the Schulte Compact Phasing A, is also excellent. I'm not sure I'd want this as my only phaser - mostly because on really deep sweeps it has this very obvious sweep pattern which is the classic early Tangerine Dream phaser sound. That said I've not come across any other phaser that sounds like it. I stupidly sold mine when I downsized my studio. But I'll be building another one at some point.

The Tau Pipe is another awesome phaser. It can produce huge sweeps and sounds similar in many ways to the phaser on the ARP Quadra. As with all phasers with a large number of all-pass elements it can sound very dramatic.

If you like phasers you'll probably want more than one phaser. Like filters they all have their different characteristics.

I hope to do another couple of phasers for the Oakley 5U stable at some point once I get the SRE330 and Mysterious Audio Plaything products finished.

Tony
johny_gtr
Thanks Klangzaun and Tony for your answers.
Just FYI - both of you have great music in signatures.

About Source Audio Lunar Phaser - if I understand right, it is digital device. I have Axe-Fx II that greatly covered all digital emulations.It sounds good with guitars and some modern synths but I hear that my modular sounds better without Axe in the chain. Now I am looking and buying some analog effects. Simple but great.

If I remember right I liked Small stone before. Maybe it's right way to go. SRE330 sounds great for me. Tell me please what is "Mysterious Audio Plaything"?
Klangzaun
I used the Axe-FX Ultra and I wasn't happy to use it with my analog synths as well.

You are right, the Lunar phaser is digital, but comparing with the others I have mentioned, it delivers the sound I was aiming for. Therefore I thought you may should give it a try. Otherwise I was never satisfied with the small stone as many others are.

However, I will watch this thread to see where you will go.

So far I found the Son of Storm Tide module the most versatile one out of the named ones. Still I would miss the option to set the range of the phase dialing in the start and end point for the frequencies.
josaka
I am a phaser and flanger whore too.. !
the haible ones all have a quite extreme sound (which I like smile)
the son of storm tide does both phase and flange as well.. but is big and pricey..

doombient.music
Bear in mind that the KRP-1 Krautrock Phaser (and most likely the Haible phaser as well) needs to be modified to work the way it's supposed to -- the lamps inside need to be shielded against straylight from the other lamps.

I encapsulated them in black plastic wrappers used for storing photographic paper. Once shielded, the performance is so much better and the effect is so much more pronounced.

The ones based on LEDs rather than lightbulbs shouldn't have the straylight issue.

Stephen
wily
Man that FSFX 106 sounds gooood It's peanut butter jelly time!
ndkent
Have the FSFX MOTM format build of the Haible Krautrock phaser, definitely unique sounding compared to several phasers I have.

I have the RS400 which is mentioned as the same as the (not deep) Equinoxe. Certainly an okay phaser though I guess the Deep one was a response to the Small Stone that inspired the Equinoxe only having 4 stages. FWIW I've heard that Jarre's own trick was to starve the power supply on a small stone, which is something I don't think is attempted.
Synthbuilder
ndkent wrote:
FWIW I've heard that Jarre's own trick was to starve the power supply on a small stone, which is something I don't think is attempted.

I think the low voltage trick is used only to get slower sweeps. The stock Smallstone doesn't actually go that slow or have very deep sweeps. It also has only the one pot which controls sweep speed.

The Equinoxe (and RS400) have pots for speed, depth and centre frequency.

That said the Smallstone is very easy to overdrive and even more so I would think when running it at lower supply voltages. On chords it sounds pretty nasty but for phased white noise and single notes it has its uses.

Tony
Synthbuilder
johny_gtr wrote:
Tell me please what is "Mysterious Audio Plaything"?

Definitely a work in progress at the moment and more will be revealed later. It is a eight voice synth of sorts.

It's not modular though but will interface readily with any modular.

Tony
Flareless
One Phase Shifter I haven't seen mentioned is the MFOS 8 Stage Phase Shifter. I was asked to build one a while back. When I did I built an extra for myself. I'm really glad I did that!

I love effects and want to collect multiple types of each as each type of device (phaser, echo, distortion, etc...) lends its own twist to the function of the particular module. This, IMHO, is what makes modular so awesome!

My first Phase Shifter was the Oakley Equinoxe. Man, I loved that phaser, however, after providing some Deep Equinoxe modules to a few Wigglers I IMMEDIATELY updated my Equinoxe to the Deep Equinoxe. The DE provides an extremely rich phase shifting and has some really cool features, particularly its LFO output with inversion. I mounted a toggle switch on the panel which switches between inverted and normal LFO output rather than requiring a jumper change.

The MFOS Phase Shifter, however, is almost a polar opposite. Where the DE shapes and manipulates the input into a smoothly melodic phased output the MFOS 8SPS (good enough acronym) seems to kick and bash the input until it's reshaped then throws it to the output unceremoniously. The result is a very unique sound that you couldn't duplicate with the DE if you tried.

Please understand though.... I don't find either phase shifter's output better. I find them both totally awesome! If I'm patching a deep symphonic thing of beauty I'll tend to run with my Deep Equinoxe. If I'm bastardizing a sound and looking for something totally unconventional I'll patch into the 8SPS.

I love both of these phase shifters and will continue to add more to my system but I though I'd throw the MFOS 8 Stage Phase Shifter into the corral of phase shifting modules out there.
Dave Peck
Another great option is the Hordijk Dual Phaser. Here's a link to a Gearslutz thread I started about this from a few years ago, with several audio clips. This is one heck of a great phaser and it does sooo much more than the typical phaser sweep effects. Check out the info about the "spread" control:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electroni c-music-production/389492-wonderful-new-phase-shifter-module.html
johny_gtr
Dave Peck wrote:
Another great option is the Hordijk Dual Phaser. Here's a link to a Gearslutz thread I started about this from a few years ago, with several audio clips. This is one heck of a great phaser and it does sooo much more than the typical phaser sweep effects. Check out the info about the "spread" control:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electroni c-music-production/389492-wonderful-new-phase-shifter-module.html

You really know how to create product demos. Dual Phaser is really interesting thing.
johny_gtr
Flareless wrote:
One Phase Shifter I haven't seen mentioned is the MFOS 8 Stage Phase Shifter. I was asked to build one a while back. When I did I built an extra for myself. I'm really glad I did that!

I love effects and want to collect multiple types of each as each type of device (phaser, echo, distortion, etc...) lends its own twist to the function of the particular module. This, IMHO, is what makes modular so awesome!

My first Phase Shifter was the Oakley Equinoxe. Man, I loved that phaser, however, after providing some Deep Equinoxe modules to a few Wigglers I IMMEDIATELY updated my Equinoxe to the Deep Equinoxe. The DE provides an extremely rich phase shifting and has some really cool features, particularly its LFO output with inversion. I mounted a toggle switch on the panel which switches between inverted and normal LFO output rather than requiring a jumper change.

The MFOS Phase Shifter, however, is almost a polar opposite. Where the DE shapes and manipulates the input into a smoothly melodic phased output the MFOS 8SPS (good enough acronym) seems to kick and bash the input until it's reshaped then throws it to the output unceremoniously. The result is a very unique sound that you couldn't duplicate with the DE if you tried.

Please understand though.... I don't find either phase shifter's output better. I find them both totally awesome! If I'm patching a deep symphonic thing of beauty I'll tend to run with my Deep Equinoxe. If I'm bastardizing a sound and looking for something totally unconventional I'll patch into the 8SPS.

I love both of these phase shifters and will continue to add more to my system but I though I'd throw the MFOS 8 Stage Phase Shifter into the corral of phase shifting modules out there.

Thank you! I will google for 8SPS demos
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1