MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How about adding Hordijk here
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author How about adding Hordijk here
ritchiedrums
How does everyone feel about adding Hordijk as a 4th format here?

Guinness ftw!
vgermuse
ritchiedrums wrote:
How does everyone feel about adding Hordijk as a 4th format here?

Guinness ftw!


Personally I'd love to see it here. In my opinion Rob
Hordijk's design is deeply West Coast and clearly resonant
with designs by Buchla, Serge and EMS. The only
difference is the faceplate dimensions and design.

http://hordijk-synths.info/news/2016/08/30/todd-barton.html

w00t
Minimoog56
Nope belongs in 5U -too bleep bloop not 4U or nanner... I think general modular is actually the right place for Rob's many devices.
vgermuse
Minimoog56 wrote:
Nope belongs in 5U -too bleep bloop not 4U or nanner... I think general modular is actually the right place for Rob's many devices.


Hi Bro! I hear you ... But EMS is neither 4U or nanners.
That said, I would understand your argument if it is based on
accretion.
bwhittington
You could make a similar argument for Make Noise or Verbos, right? A fuzzy line to draw, which might make physical format as good a way as another.
vgermuse
bwhittington wrote:
You could make a similar argument for Make Noise or Verbos, right? A fuzzy line to draw, which might make physical format as good a way as another.


Yep, I concur, the accretion argument has merit.
The only difference when citing makenoise and verbos
is that they are clearly patterned on the Buchla/Serge paradigm.
Hordijk is a completely unique paradigm, in my experience.
Not saying Hordijk has to be in this thread, but it is a good
question. Cheers!
Neovintage
I think it should stay in the 5U section. This is 5U format.

Many Eurorack companies "copy"/enhance Buchla or Serge.
They are in Euro section.
5U is more east coast oriented but I heard and watched good examples of 5U making west coast sounds and sounding awesome. Even a Moog Mother-32. pretty convincing.

Hordijk can be pretty Moogish, tonal if you want it to be.
That is the beauty of Rob's designs, you can do everything with it.
Of course, many demos are west coast oriented. But that is essentially because Todd is posting videos and demos. He is (almost) the only one to do it.
The other and probably main reason is that it sounds so good for it. hihi

So I don't see the need to change the section.
I also don't see the interest of splitting Hordijk infos in multiple threads but that is another point...
vgermuse
Thanks for the initial question Ritchie. And thanks all for the great dialog/debate. I now agree that 5U is Hordijk's home. Guinness ftw!

Neovintage wrote:
I think it should stay in the 5U section. This is 5U format.

Many Eurorack companies "copy"/enhance Buchla or Serge.
They are in Euro section.
5U is more east coast oriented but I heard and watched good examples of 5U making west coast sounds and sounding awesome. Even a Moog Mother-32. pretty convincing.

Hordijk can be pretty Moogish, tonal if you want it to be.
That is the beauty of Rob's designs, you can do everything with it.
Of course, many demos are west coast oriented. But that is essentially because Todd is posting videos and demos. He is (almost) the only one to do it.
The other and probably main reason is that it sounds so good for it. hihi

So I don't see the need to change the section.
I also don't see the interest of splitting Hordijk infos in multiple threads but that is another point...
Neovintage
vgermuse wrote:
Thanks for the initial question Ritchie. And thanks all for the great dialog/debate. I now agree that 5U is Hordijk's home. Guinness ftw!


That was a valid question indeed.
If it would ever move, I think the official company forum section would be the best as Rob has a one-man company and that there are not many threads related to it. Also as I said, it can easily be each coast. This is probably the reason for Ritchie's question seriously, i just don't get it
Then as it is hard to classify the official company forum section could be the place for it.

Personnaly 5U is OK for me.

Confused? hmmm.....
MatttheKat
Modcan A is clearly 5u and is on that forum but is also permitted here because of bananas. Bugbrand seems to be frac but bananas and is discussed here on occasion. EMS doesn't even fit but is here as well. It seems that this particular place is quite the island of misfit toys. I know the thought doesn't contribute much but it's strange that some make the cut and others don't. It's like it has to be weird enough to be allowed. It's peanut butter jelly time!
vgermuse
Hehehe! A little fun fact: I forgot that all Hordijk systems come with a bunch of banana to 1/4" adapters!



Tropic Al
vgermuse wrote:
Hehehe! A little fun fact: I forgot that all Hordijk systems come with a bunch of banana to 1/4" adapters!





Loving your recent series on instagram! Great introduction to these wonderful modules:)
ritchiedrums
I asked because Hordijk posts are hard to find.
They can be 5u or general....

Personally I feel Hordijk belongs with EMS more than any of the 5u Brands.
His entire approach bares little resemblance to Moog, etc....

Just a thought.......... Guinness ftw!
ritchiedrums
anybody know where I can buy these?

Neovintage
ritchiedrums wrote:
I asked because Hordijk posts are hard to find.
They can be 5u or general....

Personally I feel Hordijk belongs with EMS more than any of the 5u Brands.
His entire approach bares little resemblance to Moog, etc....

Just a thought.......... Guinness ftw!


I can understand but I'd rather like to have it in the official company section. I don't want the thread to be swap in tons of other topics. That is why there is one big Hordijk thread. Everything is in it.

ritchiedrums wrote:
anybody know where I can buy these?



They are included when you buy a MiniMatrix panel from Rob. He build these himself.
ear ear
Neovintage wrote:
I can understand but I'd rather like to have it in the official company section.


+1. As with Bugbrand or WIARD, for example.
ear ear
MatttheKat wrote:
Modcan A is clearly 5u...


Nope. smile Panels are 9" high.
richard
Minimoog56 wrote:
Nope belongs in 5U -too bleep bloop not 4U or nanner... I think general modular is actually the right place for Rob's many devices.


"too bleep bloop"?

not even slightly true, anyone who has used one knows it is very capable for tonal music-the VCOs track for a gazillion octaves, brilliant envelopes and VCAs and the smooth as butter 24db filter is perfect for conventional bass and lead work. Integrated midi interface too.
dan_p
WORD!

richard wrote:
Minimoog56 wrote:
Nope belongs in 5U -too bleep bloop not 4U or nanner... I think general modular is actually the right place for Rob's many devices.


"too bleep bloop"?

not even slightly true, anyone who has used one knows it is very capable for tonal music-the VCOs track for a gazillion octaves, brilliant envelopes and VCAs and the smooth as butter 24db filter is perfect for conventional bass and lead work. Integrated midi interface too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group