MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Solid live set clocking - ERM Multiclock my best bet?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Solid live set clocking - ERM Multiclock my best bet?
neil_kerr
Am due to buy the Octatrack and ditch my laptop and controllers for my live set. My gear list with then be as follows;

Mackie Mixer
Eurorack System
Octatrack
Moog Minitaur
LXR Drum Machine
Beatstep Pro
Volca Sample
Volca FM
(At some stage I'd like to add the Dominion Club synth or the Micromonsta and possibly a Korg ES1)

Originally I was going to clock the system from the Octatrack, just using a midi thru box but I am now considering buying a master clock as I want to make sure the timing is rock solid. With the ERM I like the fact that I can also modify the clocks and add some lag etc...

Is the ERM the best bet for the job? I couldn't afford to spend any more that £450 anyway so my options are limited.

Ta'
xonetacular
yes.
djthopa
Probably thumbs up
neil_kerr
Do you guys tend to use the shuffle and micro adjustment much? If I was to go with the MidiClock+ and a Midi thru box I could save myself a couple hundred quid towards the Oktatrack but I'd imagine I'd probably end up wanting to upgrade to the Multiclock at some point to be able to create less rigid timings at points in the set.
Happyanimal
neil_kerr wrote:
Do you guys tend to use the shuffle and micro adjustment much? If I was to go with the MidiClock+ and a Midi thru box I could save myself a couple hundred quid towards the Oktatrack but I'd imagine I'd probably end up wanting to upgrade to the Multiclock at some point to be able to create less rigid timings at points in the set.

I use the shuffle and clock dividers often. Worth mentioning that you have to choose either/or per channel. Can't have both.
xonetacular
I have definitely found the micro shifting per channel useful
PISS.EXE
Micro shifting is the whole reason i'd buy the damn thing!
SPIKE the Percussionist
e-rm is the way to go!
darenager
Also consider the Roland SBX-1, it has shuffle and you can set up the aux to send sync pulses, also outputs LFOs and CV Gate, the timing is pretty spot on too.
spudboyblues
Another yes here. Love the damn thing. Can't imagine a life without it.
DiscoDevil
darenager wrote:
Also consider the Roland SBX-1, it has shuffle and you can set up the aux to send sync pulses, also outputs LFOs and CV Gate, the timing is pretty spot on too.

I also paid like $200 for mine. Love it. Not as feature rich as the Multiclock but suits my purposes for live stuff.
Kennymester
I've found my Midiclock to be indispensable, especially the feature that sends out a resync to everything. That feature alone has saved me a couple of times when things got out of sync.
billyk419
I started with Midiclock and only upgraded to the Multiclock because I tend use a DAW. I don't use the shuffle or micro timing enough to justify it compared to a MIDIClock and a thru box
m:o
Also using a Multiclock+ here. Clocking, shuffling and shifting Machinedrum, Avalon, Eurorack, Pro2. Rocksolid clock (which i was mainly blown away by listeting to the Machinedrum after syncing it via Midi to Live) and it`s great to dial in shuffle for the machines - grooves away. I`ve been using the Shifting mainly for syncing it all up.

Overall, i would never give it away.
neil_kerr
Cheers, Multiclock it is.
fr0st003
I just got one of these, and I am having a few issues getting it to sync with POS mode.

neg/pos mode works as expected, but the count in for jamming with Ableton is kind of annoying. It seems its always off by a specific amount in POS mode, even when a track delay is set in Live.

I have Yarns, Octatrack, Tempest and a 303 I am trying to getting synced with Ableton.

Cheers,
JB
calaveras
I've never used the ERM.
But my experiences gigging out with multiple synths/drum machines pushes me in the opposite direction.
I feel that the less things you have plugged in, the less can go sideways.
Conversely for every additional device you are doubling your complexity, both in things that you have to set up. And things that you have to troubleshoot if there is an issue.
Curious what you mean by "timing is rock solid". Are you trying to have jitter free timing or error free?
Panason
Quote:
Clocking, shuffling and shifting Machinedrum

I don't understand this. MIDI clock doesn't do shuffle AFAIK and the MD has its own shuffle that works pretty well.
From what I can gather the shuffle feature of sync boxes applies to analog clock only...

fr0st003 wrote:
I just got one of these, and I am having a few issues getting it to sync with POS mode.

neg/pos mode works as expected, but the count in for jamming with Ableton is kind of annoying. It seems its always off by a specific amount in POS mode, even when a track delay is set in Live.

I have Yarns, Octatrack, Tempest and a 303 I am trying to getting synced with Ableton.

Cheers,
JB

Are you trying to sync the OT and Tempest sequencers to live? I don't have a multiclock but I imagine you shouldn't need to touch any delay settings in Live, but just use the multiclock offsets to get the other clocks in phase with the master... otherwise what's the point of the multiclock?
AFAIK MIDI track delays on Live don't delay the clock output for that track. That can be done in Live's MIDI preferences for each MIDI port- but again you shouldn't need to deal with that if you have the multiclock?
calaveras
I think he said he is ditching the laptop and going all hardware?
Panason
The OP is from August 2017! I was replying to fr0st003.

I've been on the brink of ordering a multiclock a few times but I managed to get decent clock sync by fine-tuning my setup. It would be interesting (and diffcult) to do an A/B test. It probably becomes essential as you add more external sequencers to the party.
oldgearguy
Just chiming in here to say that it's a real joy to have a single piece of hardware clocking the rest of my gear (again).

Setup has been in a state of partial disassembly since selling the Cirklon and some other stuff. An E-RM Multiclock arrived a couple days ago and combined with a MIDI patchbay it's a beautiful thing to press a single button and have everything making noises in sync (again).

Yeah, yeah, I know folks with a DAW or Cirklon or other stuff is saying - so what, but having the ability to have 4 streams in perfect sync and to be able to shift and shuffle them against each other is very nice.

Next test is seeing if the Multiclock + Motu Digital Timepiece + Alesis HD24XR can sync up. Folks that have an HD24 seem to have a lot of difficulties integrating it into a more modern setup.
rean1mator
your set up isn't that large, and most of my midi timing issues are due to midi over usb on my computer/daw. do you think you even need to run an e-rm?

are you having timing issues now to warrant it?
SingIt
oldgearguy wrote:
Just chiming in here to say that it's a real joy to have a single piece of hardware clocking the rest of my gear (again).

Setup has been in a state of partial disassembly since selling the Cirklon and some other stuff. An E-RM Multiclock arrived a couple days ago and combined with a MIDI patchbay it's a beautiful thing to press a single button and have everything making noises in sync (again).

Yeah, yeah, I know folks with a DAW or Cirklon or other stuff is saying - so what, but having the ability to have 4 streams in perfect sync and to be able to shift and shuffle them against each other is very nice.

Next test is seeing if the Multiclock + Motu Digital Timepiece + Alesis HD24XR can sync up. Folks that have an HD24 seem to have a lot of difficulties integrating it into a more modern setup.

Even with a Cirklon/DAW combo, a sync box is a big help in reducing jitter to the Cirklon. Of course from there, the Cirklon sends really tight midi to anything it is controlling. But if I don’t have that sync box between the DAW and Cirklon, there is annoying jitter.
heckadecimal69
billyk419 wrote:
I started with Midiclock and only upgraded to the Multiclock because I tend use a DAW. I don't use the shuffle or micro timing enough to justify it compared to a MIDIClock and a thru box

Does the Midiclock not do sample accurate timing with a DAW? I'd be fine with the limited i/o if it could at least do that.
I have a few friends with the Multiclock and it's great, just wish the price of entry to get a DAW in sync with gear wasn't so high.
rens
heckadecimal69 wrote:
just wish the price of entry to get a DAW in sync with gear wasn't so high.

I got a USAMO last year for £30!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2