MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boss fs-5/6 foot pedal output voltage
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Boss fs-5/6 foot pedal output voltage
leterell
Hello,

I'd be interested in using foot pedals with the modular, especially a momentary type (but also latching at times) pedal that just puts out a voltage when pressed, in other words, a usable gate for clocking, resetting things, into the play input of a morphagene etc.

the thing I am not able to find out about the Boss pedals, strangely, is the voltage they put out. Not in the manual, not on any forum. Yes googled, yes searched sad banana

Is it too low to make any module think it's an actual gate?

thx
nigel
I think guitar foot pedals (the Boss FS-6 for example) are just switches to ground, they don't actually output any voltage. You'll need something like an "S-trigger to Gate" circuit.
Reckless_Experimenter
Coincidentally I made something similar over the weekend. A dual foot peddle input module. Provides an analog switch, and gate output for each peddle. The analog switch outputs zero volts when off, tracks the input when on.

Schematic:

nigel is right most foot pedals are just a switch, the gate voltage has to be generated within the module.
Parnelli
That's not to say though that you couldn't pass a gate (or set positive) signal through a foot switch, you'd just have to take it from the synth and pass it through the pedal. Yeah, you'd have to make a jack or two, but it might get you to where you wanna be.
calaveras
yeah there are a few modules by Synthrotek, Addac and others that will get your guitar/keyboard footswitch or volume pedal to work with modular.
I've built the Synthrotek expression pedal (like aa wah or volume) interface.
It works okay, but honestly I don't think the taper of my pedal is very good.
tito_tunes
Parnelli wrote:
That's not to say though that you couldn't pass a gate (or set positive) signal through a foot switch, you'd just have to take it from the synth and pass it through the pedal. Yeah, you'd have to make a jack or two, but it might get you to where you wanna be.

I do this all the time.
Offset voltage from the modular > footswitch (or volume pedal) > destination in the modular.

I use 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cables for this
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1