MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ring Modulators in MU
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Ring Modulators in MU
johny_gtr
I'd like to add ring modulator for my MU system.

There are several "ready-for-use" variants on the market and some DIY projects.

Which RM do you have and ca you recommend them?

I'm especially interested in Synth-Werk 6401 Bode RM and Oakley RM.
Just me
I use a Moog MoogerFooger RM. It is hard to beat, has "Extras" and is modular friendly.
No matter what you get, google Lord of The Ring Mod for a good guide to usage.
Stereotactixxx
I have to say, I really like the Oakley, both in terms of sound and of functionality.
I didn't really get the point of all the jacks and controls before I got it,
but I soon realized that they are really handy for a variety of reasons.
cupperwear
Not exactly a ring mod, but Oakley's Discontinuity is versatile and can get you some RM-type sounds.

http://www.oakleysound.com/Discon-rm.mp3

http://www.oakleysound.com/discon.htm
Synthoholic
I own the SW6401 and the MF-102 and they both are different enough to justify both. The 102 is significantly more intuitive.
Though I know it isn't a Ringmod, Moslab is making a Bode Frequency Shifter clone.
ericD13
johny_gtr wrote:
I'd like to add ring modulator for my MU system.

You could add avery powerful VCO with RM from corsynth :
http://corsynth.com/home/modules/c104-vco
josaka
I have a couple of the corsynths.. ..indeed klangtastic.

Also the DDVCO has RM..
milkshake
I have the Oakley ringmodulator in euro format. I believe its a copy/clone of the Arp2500/2600.
It has both AC and DC inputs so 4 in total, with level pots for x and y inputs and a offset for the y input. This makes it very versatile as a stand alone module. I use it mainly as vca. Sound is frequency limited in the high regions and sounds warm maybe a bit polite, some would say organic others would say boring.

In the 5U format I have only RHD stuff, which has 2 different kind of ringmodulators and a frequencyshifter that can act as a ringmodulator by mixing both outputs. I don't have the frequency shifter (yet), so can't comment on that. But the ringmodulator in the Dual Fader is just amazing, my favourite by far. You can change its sound character from "normal" ringmodulator to diode/trafo ringmodulator with the turn of a knob. This thing sounds very musical, to me at least.
The other ringmodulators are in the Node Processor and are DC coupled bipolar vca's. These sound fine, no specific thing that sticks out. I mainly use these as vca.

I also have a few diode/trafo ringmodulators, which sound amazing but need a mic preamp to get any decent level out. I highly recommend you build these, cost is less than $10.

Not 5U but I like it way better than the Oakley, is the euro format AS RS-20. Simple, but great sound.
Synthbuilder
Two ways to get a ring mod without a ring mod module:

1. If you have a Oakley Multimix (or any other reversible attenuator mixer module) you can make a ring mod with a standard VCA and a multiple.

Input X to mult, mult to VCA in, mult to Multimix In 1

Input Y to VCA CV in

VCA out to Multimix In 2

Gain on VCA to full. CV depth to +100% (fully clockwise).

Multimix level 1 to -100%.
Multimix level 2 to +100%.

Output of Multimix is ring mod output.

Finely adjust VCA gain and Multimix level 1 for minimum breakthrough of signal X when no signal is present on Y.

2. If you have a Oakley Classic VCA you can use OUT B as a ring modulator when the gain pot is set to its maximum.

Tony
alternating.bit
I own 3 different ringmods; The Oakley, the MOTM-190 VCA/Ringmod and the Corsynth VCO w/ RM. Love them all though sadly I haven't used the Oakley much since its the newest acquisition among the three. I like some of the ideas in this thread and I also appreciate the reminder to capitalize on these units!
Ranxerox
Synthbuilder wrote:
Two ways to get a ring mod without a ring mod module:

1. If you have a Oakley Multimix (or any other reversible attenuator mixer module) you can make a ring mod with a standard VCA and a multiple.

Input X to mult, mult to VCA in, mult to Multimix In 1

Input Y to VCA CV in

VCA out to Multimix In 2

Gain on VCA to full. CV depth to +100% (fully clockwise).

Multimix level 1 to -100%.
Multimix level 2 to +100%.

Output of Multimix is ring mod output.

Finely adjust VCA gain and Multimix level 1 for minimum breakthrough of signal X when no signal is present on Y.

2. If you have a Oakley Classic VCA you can use OUT B as a ring modulator when the gain pot is set to its maximum.

Tony

This is brilliant, always thought ring modulation ought to be doable with the VCAs I already had, but couldn't work out how... Now I know, tried it yesterday and worked treat - thanks Tony!
ba1
I have the two Hordijk ringmods mentioned above, the MF102, the Corsynth C104 OSC abd SSL Double Deka. I haven't got much of interest out of the rm on the DD. Perhaps I'm missing something with that.The Hordijk Dual Fader and MF102 and C104 sound great! I probably use the C104 the most for ease. If you have an LFO handy you can get similar sounds to the MF102. The Dual Fader is more dynamic, but I always have to mess around to remember the patch. I intend to pick up another C104 and I'd like to get a Randy's Revenge by Fairfield Circuitry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3eNFOHrR4
Sideshow
My favourite MU ring mod video.
But it's real Moog stuff, so I guess that makes it out of reach for most people...
Synthoholic
Sideshow wrote:
My favourite MU ring mod video.
But it's real Moog stuff, so I guess that makes it out of reach for most people...

That's actually a DIY ringmod he built. YOu can see the amazing process here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1099908&sid=03604fb7 6fb2418bf248a65f879b6f08.
Sideshow
Synthoholic wrote:

That's actually a DIY ringmod he built. YOu can see the amazing process here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1099908&sid=03604fb7 6fb2418bf248a65f879b6f08.

Cool, thanks for pointing me to that thread smile
Guess I might have to get some good audio transformers and build one.

But Moog did have a genuine real Ring Modulator built by the same principle?
kindredlost
Sounds as if the Oakley is the top offering so far. I should try one soon.

I built a PASSIVE RM from the design by Ken Stone of Cat Girl Synth. It is called the "Real Ring Modulator" for whatever reason. seriously, i just don't get it
It is very quiet as it's passive and built with four germanium-diode quadrant layout and impedance transformers so it has a different sound. It has a bit of carrier bleed through but reminds me of a dirty version - or not so clean and clear sounding ring modulation like a soft and fuzzy short wave radio or something. It is a design taken from radio circuits so I guess that is the cause of my impression. You have to boost the signal once it is routed through the module but it does have a nice tone. It is a very simple build.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrr.html

I had the Q116 Synthesizers.com RM for a while but never really liked the sound of it. I need to try out the Oakley. It seems Tony has the Midas touch.

Here is an old example of the RRM module sound from a percussive point of use.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1