MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Crossfader CV Control
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge Crossfader CV Control
syncretism
From the shop panel description:

Quote:
If a sound and its reverberated image (available with the Wilson Analog Delay) are sent through the cross-fader, the reverb mix can be voltage controlled. This effect can be used to modify the spatial characteristics of a sound event, from immediate presence to distant ambience.

I do this a lot, but I have to be honest, it feels like trial and error every time; I'm struggling getting this to behave as I think it should, and there must be something basic I'm not getting.

Let's say I have dry signal in input one and wet signal in input two. I patch a downward ramp from a transient generator into the vc crossfade so I can hear a steady fade from wet to dry. Where should the manual fader pot be pointing? Left, right? You'd think this would be simple as hell, but more often than not I end up with 100% wet or dry and can't seem to get the desired fading effect at all.

Please, clue in the clueless, so I don't have to spend ten or twenty minutes on this every time I patch!
syncretism
I don't typically use these emoticons, but hmmm.....

I feel like I could get a similar response by running the reverberated signal through a DTG and not bothering with the crossfade - maybe - but shouldn't I be able to do this with the xfader?
vgermuse
syncretism wrote:
I don't typically use these emoticons, but hmmm.....

I feel like I could get a similar response by running the reverberated signal through a DTG and not bothering with the crossfade - maybe - but shouldn't I be able to do this with the xfader?

hmmm. . . give these settings a whirl. Patch as you did: dry to IN 1 / wet to IN 2. I'm using the equivalent of a Triangle wave into the VC Gain. Here are my results on video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n30104xwzep10t8/2017-08-23%2014.40.11.mov?dl =0

w00t

syncretism
Thanks, @vgermuse.

VC gain will give you a tremolo effect, not a VC crossfade, right? It was hard to tell from the video, so here's something a little less ambiguous: cross fading two oscillators.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/su63a0z3iklt9di/serge%20crossfader.MOV?dl=0
syncretism
The only way I seem to be able to make this work is:

XFader Input 1: Wet
XFader Input 2: Dry
XFader Fade: Hard right to input 2
XFader XFade CV: DTG voltage

If I swap the inputs and turn the fade hard left to 1, it doesn't crossfade anything (or rather, it just keeps fading to 1). I guess I'm just not sure why it works this way.
vgermuse
syncretism wrote:
The only way I seem to be able to make this work is:

XFader Input 1: Wet
XFader Input 2: Dry
XFader Fade: Hard right to input 2
XFader XFade CV: DTG voltage

If I swap the inputs and turn the fade hard left to 1, it doesn't crossfade anything (or rather, it just keeps fading to 1). I guess I'm just not sure why it works this way.

I agree it is confusing and sensitive. I got what I think you asked (using two oscillators) with this video but 1mm knob shift and it all falls apart.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3e5umc3mmwu1i7/2017-08-24%2009.06.56.mov?dl =0
johnchantler
what happens when you use a bi-polar CV into the crossfade CV in?

i would expect:

fade knob in the middle — fades evenly between both sources
fade knob either hard to either side — fades between the one source knob is pointing to and equal mix of both sources.

is that right?
syncretism
vgermuse wrote:
I agree it is confusing and sensitive. I got what I think you asked (using two oscillators) with this video but 1mm knob shift and it all falls apart.

I need more attenuators!
syncretism
johnchantler wrote:

i would expect:

fade knob either hard to either side — fades between the one source knob is pointing to and equal mix of both sources.

is that right?

I'll have to repatch, but the xfade CV is unipolar (blue) - would it only apply a positive voltage?
syncretism
Here's one DTG controlling xfades for the second oscillator and reverberated signal with the settings describe above, but I'm attenuating the control signal.

It's not as dramatic a shift between single, dry oscillator and harmonies through reverb:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmhzexxhatl24mr/xfading.MOV?dl=0
syncretism
johnchantler wrote:

i would expect:

is that right?

1. Fade knob in the middle with bipolar CV gives you a nice, even crossfade. I guess the blue input doesn't mean anything wink

2. Hard to 1 or 2 fades between 1 and a mix (maybe equal).

You called it! Scenario 2 yields a sound most like the one I'm trying to achieve. Thanks!
johnchantler
Good stuff.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1