MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What is your latest 5U DIY build?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author What is your latest 5U DIY build?
Leverkusen
Alternating.bit suggested that there should be a dedicated thread to present our latest or in process 5U DIY projects. So the 5U weekender thread could be free for other activities.

Might be a good idea I thought so I start with this:

I just finished my Oakley Flanger. It was an adventurous build and I had a bit of trouble shooting to get it running but now is, sound great and looks like this:

Also I finshed the Okley Human Voice Module:

Actually I do the wiring for the Haible Living VCOs. The PCB is populated and atm the panel looks like this:

It is getting a terrific nest of wires and I hope it will run in the end else I will have to call my haircutter to do get the trouble shooting done... hihi
unrecordings
Damn, beat me to it :-)

(The Living VCO) Looks very similar to the back of my MFOS mixer. Ground buss in place, time for a rest (ooh look I need to mow the lawn !)
alternating.bit
Great thread! Just be sure to edit the title to *your Miley Cyrus
unrecordings
Less than a week old so I hope it counts. A passive Tudor3 Phase Shifter. It's built as a desktop unit using a spare 2Ux5U panel. Yet to be fired in anger, but the prototype yielded some great recordings

I wrote up the circuits here: http://files.unrecordings.co.uk/Tudor3%20Schematic.pdf

josaka
between us we may have decimated the "weekend' thread.. but variety is good smile
alternating.bit
I was wondering about that but I'm not all that concerned. The initial intent for that thread was to chat about what you plan to do with your 5U musically / sonically, or maybe even rearranging / organizing their work space. Of course building & repair could be part of that but it just seemed every time I looked at the thread it was more photos of custom builds which in themselves are spectacular, but I'm more interested in the actual output and what people plan to do with their setup.
Leverkusen
unrecordings wrote:

(The Living VCO) Looks very similar to the back of my MFOS mixer. Ground buss in place, time for a rest (ooh look I need to mow the lawn !)

The Stereo Mixer with the effect sends? I thought about it too but I think will do the Yusynth CV panning mixer instead. Looks like great module though.

The LVCO wiring is almost done - not I´that I expect it to work then...but at least I already saw some basic oscillations on the scope.

alternating.bit wrote:
Great thread! Just be sure to edit the title to *your Miley Cyrus

Not sure what it means but did it. Unfortunately the picture of the little boy did not make it to the title caption format... hmmm.....
alternating.bit
lol - the asterisk wasn't necessary - I was just using that to denote the change.
unrecordings
Leverkusen wrote:
The Stereo Mixer with the effect sends? I thought about it too but I think will do the Yusynth CV panning mixer instead. Looks like great module though.

Yep that's the one, I expanded it to eight channels, and added mute switches to all the mono channels & effects sends. I don't really know why I started this, I've a really good Allen & Heath mixer. I've also got the Yusynth panning mixer, very very nice !
pugix
I built probably the last 5U DIY module over a year ago. A conversion for the Mattson VC Mixer.

http://pugix.com/synth/second-mattson-vc-mixer/

I see that I included all formats in the table of VCAs.

srsly never
paulstone
ohhh là .. a dedicated 5U diy thread
thumbs up
Gizmo
Just completed this one, a custom normalization module. The main features are (1) switching voices among various inputs directly, and (2) simplifying setups by avoiding patch cords for conventional melodic patches. Mostly it provides performance convenience and simplicity, such as swapping keyboards, overlaying voices, and similar real-time control options.

My design and build, panel by Ben Marshall. It is a bit messy in the back; there are 18 outbound connections concentrated in this one module.

alternating.bit
This is so interesting... the modules I see here a like... I have no idea what they do! lol
Flareless
@Leverkusen - Great idea for a thread topic!

I'm working on a Hexinverter.Net Galilean Moons. The build is mostly complete but I'm waiting for a couple of parts to be delivered.

paulstone
Flareless wrote:
@Leverkusen - Great idea for a thread topic!

I'm working on a Hexinverter.Net Galilean Moons. The build is mostly complete but I'm waiting for a couple of parts to be delivered.

nice module Flareless thumbs up
I also recently have build the Galileo luna
this time i have + - copyed the synthcube panel smile
mine :

editato for correzione
ppkstat
Just out of the lab.

1) Oakley Flanger in all its glory. Worked perfectly upon initial power up and it sounds amazing.

2) Wiard Wogglebug. Everything after the S&H is not working at the moment and I don't know why. I'll have to do some testing.

Flareless
paulstone wrote:

I also recently have build the Galileo luna
this time i have + - copyed the synthcube panel smile
mine :

Thanks Paul!

Your module looks great! I really like the panel you made.

Synthcube is only selling the PCB+Panel so I'm using that version.
Paradigm X
You guys with the oakley flanger are embarrassing me, cool , i got tonys prebuilt prototype pcb and only needed to add sockets, leds etc. It is done now but not tested. hoping this weekend.
Flareless
Paradigm X wrote:
You guys with the oakley flanger are embarrassing me, cool ....

That's some great work on those Flangers!
ppkstat
I think that you shouldn't be afraid of the Flanger. This was my first smd build and it wasn't challenging at all, although it was a bit time-consuming.

I did everything with a 1.6m chisel tip, with hot air it would have been much easier and faster.

Here's another (a bit blurry, sorry for that)

gregae
unrecordings wrote:
Less than a week old so I hope it counts. A passive Tudor3 Phase Shifter. It's built as a desktop unit using a spare 2Ux5U panel. Yet to be fired in anger, but the prototype yielded some great recordings

I wrote up the circuits here: http://files.unrecordings.co.uk/Tudor3%20Schematic.pdf

Intriguing! Wondering what it sounds like... hmmm.....
Sound examples, please!
unrecordings
It's not a phaser in the popular sense, it's designed to manipulate feedback so it's just a very simple RC circuit. The pot & switches gently poke and prod at the feedback signal so that you can alter the timbre. It's a very subtle beast, and you need to carefully balance the whole circuit (including the other modules in the feedback loop) to get any measure of success

I've got a recording of the prototype, the tests with this version are much better, but I need to set up the patch again... ...and I'm loathed to break away from wiring my MFOS mixer - I'm on a roll

Gimme a couple of days - I'm looking at Soundcloud vs Archive.org anyway
gregae
unrecordings wrote:
It's not a phaser in the popular sense, it's designed to manipulate feedback so it's just a very simple RC circuit.

Yep - I got that! And looking at the schematic, I see what you did. The only thing that jumped out at me was the 'Closed/Open' switch - I couldn't identify what that was supposed to do (I assumed that the 'Tudor3/Alt' switch was the effect bypass).

unrecordings wrote:

I've got a recording of the prototype, the tests with this version are much better, but I need to set up the patch again... ...and I'm loathed to break away from wiring my MFOS mixer - I'm on a roll

Gimme a couple of days - I'm looking at Soundcloud vs Archive.org anyway

Looking forward to it! Rockin' Banana!
unrecordings
Sorry, some people assume it's a swishy phaser, which takes some explaining afterwards. The Tudor3/Alt switch changes from the original David Tudor circuit, to a version I came across by accident - it's basically just moving the ground point in the circuit. The open/closed switch was another happy accident. I shorted a wire on the prototype by accident and it did something to the feedback, so I added that too !

On the MFOS mixer front, I'm just having a rest, clearing the bench and preparing for power up. I've still some of the stereo functions to wire in, but the difficult stuff is done

I just hope it works first time...

Edit: Well it's basically working, so I can wire the rest of it up now and give it a proper shakedown
unrecordings
Try this for size:

https://archive.org/details/Tudor3TestII

Bodging the Soundcloud embed might not work though:

Edit: test embed now removed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7