MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looping
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Looping
swhic
Shall I go for a pedal like Ehx 22500 or for 4ms DLD? ?
createsounds
i enjoy the infinity looper. pigtronix.
Armstrb
I think it depends on what you are looping and what you want to do with the audio afterwards.

I have various things capable of looping including pedals like the Boss RC300, 505 as well as Eurorack modules Morphagene, DLD, Er301, Clouds, Bitbox, etc.

If you want to loop something like a guitar or other instrument you are playing then nothing beats a pedal. If you want to mangle the audio or do something else with it then the Morphagene. If you want ultimate flexibility take a look at the Er301 it can do almost any of this but requires some setup to do it and possibly a pedal module.
noisejockey
Armstrb nailed it: Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Go with a pedal if you need foot control and to send anything to it. Get the module if you're sticking to Eurorack as your sound source. (With variations for how you like your instrument interfaces to work, and general features.)

The Infinity is indeed amazing, and it syncs to MIDI clock, which is great for tempo-locked work. It's also incredibly immediate and easy to use. Expression pedal for loop aging or volume is a must-have. The extender/add-on pedal adds immediate reverse and undo. It's a guitar pedal so it wants line inputs, and it can stand the rigors of touring. Having its input be a send from a mixer gives you amazing options.

The 4MS DLD shares a surprising amount in common with the Infinity, just in Eurorack format: Two loops, each tempo-locked, each able to be a different length, lots of control over loop volume and aging. If you're only in Eurorack, it's a great option. The DLD is otherwise quite straightforward - the strength of its design is doing one thing but doing it almost perfectly. Many other options exist in that format if you want to get crazier.
koyl
The DLD is straightforward at first sight but coupled with modulations, random and sequencers, it can do really crazy things which will go way beyond what a pedal looper can do.
swhic
thanks looks like dld it is..
koyl
But be aware the the DLD is a delay, which mean there's no undo function, no way to erase only your latest recorded loop.
That's the big difference with loopers that are labelled as "loopers".

On the other hand you can do way more with it than with any loopers in pedal format.

The reflex liveloop has a mode that has an undo function, and one that works like the DLD (and another one as well)
swhic
..yes the undo function could be important. Does the infinity do asynchronous loops? I'm eyeing now the ER-301....
thevegasnerve
noisejockey wrote:
Armstrb nailed it: Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Go with a pedal if you need foot control and to send anything to it. Get the module if you're sticking to Eurorack as your sound source. (With variations for how you like your instrument interfaces to work, and general features.)

The Infinity is indeed amazing, and it syncs to MIDI clock, which is great for tempo-locked work. It's also incredibly immediate and easy to use. Expression pedal for loop aging or volume is a must-have. The extender/add-on pedal adds immediate reverse and undo. It's a guitar pedal so it wants line inputs, and it can stand the rigors of touring. Having its input be a send from a mixer gives you amazing options.

The 4MS DLD shares a surprising amount in common with the Infinity, just in Eurorack format: Two loops, each tempo-locked, each able to be a different length, lots of control over loop volume and aging. If you're only in Eurorack, it's a great option. The DLD is otherwise quite straightforward - the strength of its design is doing one thing but doing it almost perfectly. Many other options exist in that format if you want to get crazier.

Solid info, I have wanted to get the Infinity for awhile. Been using just Ipad loopers but a nice pedal to integrate with hardware is what I need for live.
swhic
can the infinity do asynchronous loops?
Clacky
If you were going to go for a pedal: Boomerang III is extremely flexible and well-designed for live looping. Has a MIDI in for sync. Can't save loops, but awesome for live - really easy to work with.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1