MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polar Fringe, Pendulum, Marble Index and Arch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Polar Fringe, Pendulum, Marble Index and Arch
nerdware

Quote:
We're excited to announce 4 new modules today. Polar Fringe is a voltage controlled chroma keyer built on soft key generators and analog logic. Pendulum is a dual LFO and dual voltage-controlled crossfader for modulation and routing. Marble Index is a triple layer alpha RGB compositor with complex analog blending modes -- our take on a nontraditional video mixer. Arch is a utility module for nonlinear transformations, such as analog logic and exponential/logarithmic waveshaping. We're very proud of this set, as it rounds out a complete vision for our Expedition series analog video synthesis modules in EuroRack format. All four modules are available for pre-order. Shipping starts October/November. We look forward to sharing and discussing more about these modules in the coming weeks. www.lzxindustries.net
337is
Well this has been escalating quickly! nanners
ebbflo
these look super!
wednesdayayay
I just ordered a batch a modules like 3 days ago hihi
probably a good thing I guess
FetidEye
wow love
is that a joystick?

the Arch looks interesting too!
337is
FetidEye wrote:
wow love
is that a joystick?

the Arch looks interesting too!

"LZX Industries: Yes, it is! The XY axis of the joystick controls the point in the hue/saturation space of the input image where the chroma key is centered. Diameter controls the range of neighboring colors surrounding this point which are allowed to contribute to the key, and Fringe controls the degree to which these neighboring colors contribute to the output, based on their distance from the central point. This is all done with analog circuits, no hard keys/comparators."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/lzxindustries/
PixelPeeper
Marble Index l screaming goo yo
wednesdayayay
for those a bit more in the know does it seem like the marble index is a redesign of the core of the visual cortex (could this ever make it into a V2 perhaps?)

these look very interesting woah
nerdware
Yes, it does indeed look like an expanded compositor section from the VC. It really opens up the mixing possibilities.

I also like how Arch expands the logic operations. Minimum is 'and', Maximum is 'or', and it looks like Absolute will give the 'xor' function when the Negative switch is on. Imagine feeding the outputs into the Opacity inputs on Marble Index! Nevermind the other Arch functions. So very tasty!

It's a shame I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, otherwise I'd preorder them all. Well, maybe a UK shop will offer that option.
Dirty_Bill
It's a bit different than the VC. Here's Lars comparison between the VBM and MI which explains a bit more about MI's compositing modes:

"While both can mix RGB signals together, they're quite different. One is a matrix mixer (giving you manual level control over each individual input color), and Marble Index is more about voltage controlled mixing between sets of RGB inputs. On top of this, Marble Index has a LOT more circuitry related to complex blending modes -- so it's kind of more like an analog computer designed to achieve compositor math typically found in computer graphcis. I'm not sure if anything like it really exists... trying to do something totally new. You can think of Marble Index more like a video mixer, except instead of A/B banks you have 3 layers, and instead of an A/B fade control, you have 2 opacity controls."
wednesdayayay
wow that is making more sense
thanks for posting
was that answer just from facebook or something more like a personal message?

we're not worthy
but why do all of these modules have to look so tasty
nerdware
Yeah, I get the impression that you'd need 2 VCs chained to get something like the MI. So comparing it to the VC misses this - you can still feed the MI into a VC. In fact, you could feed *2* of them into a VC. That might be like using *5* VCs, which would be insane. Of course, if the MI does something that a pair of VCs can't do, then it's even more wild!

The VBM/MI comparison is even more extreme, I think. You could have 2 or 3 Color Chords going into an MI, then into a VC. MY ASS IS BLEEDING How many people have more than 1 CC? I have 1 and I just sold my VBM, intending to buy a 2nd VC (coz I have 2 cabs now). Now I'm reconsidering that. Sure, I could use the extra inputs, and maybe even a 2nd output, but...that can wait. I can just put all the modules that need sync in the same cab as the VC, then slowly fill the other cab.
nerdware
Why must so many come out at the same time? lol
337is
nerdware wrote:
Why must so many come out at the same time? lol

Perhaps a partial answer to your question?

Lars Larsen:
"It's mainly an economy of scale. LZX is growing from a phase where most of our time has to go into new product development in order to make the business work, to a phase where we have enough product in stock and sales are good enough to provide resources for extra projects. And we want to focus those extra projects on user resources/support ... This is why you've seen such a cavalcade of new releases over the past two years. Our capabilities generally scale based on how many concurrent modules we can keep stocked and actively supported, and providing a nice range of modules for people to build systems with."

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316132448558082/?ref=group_header
nerdware
Yes, I'm aware of the economic argument, but I was speaking as a consumer. Also: I was joking more than complaining. lol Still, until 2015, no shops in the UK sold video modules. Now the UK has 3 shops, that I know of, selling video modules (London Modular, Rubadub and Signal Sounds), and they restock much faster, so a series of "small" orders will be less risky than it used to be.

Thanks.
337is
nerdware wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of the economic argument, but I was speaking as a consumer. Also: I was joking more than complaining. lol Still, until 2015, no shops in the UK sold video modules. Now the UK has 3 shops, that I know of, selling video modules (London Modular, Rubadub and Signal Sounds), and they restock much faster, so a series of "small" orders will be less risky than it used to be.

Thanks.

Sure thing, I took your post with the emoticon you included. Wow. That must've been tough times when no one was selling them. How'd you start your system with that situation?
nerdware
I had to order from the US. Mainly AH but sometimes LZX directly. I can't do that anymore. It's way too expensive now. So I can't pre-order any of these modules. All I can do is wait for a UK shop to stock one or more of them.
337is
I admire your commitment! applause
nerdware
Thanks. smile
wednesdayayay
well eek!
we'll be re-re-rearranging the case again soon
we got prismatic ray, color chords and curtains in the mail last week
and just ordered arch, polar fringe and liquid tv

I think this will finally finish up the first case
I think we may switch over to the new LZX case though now that my wife decided she wanted the liquid tv as it should make that a bit easier

such cool stuff

we have a community theatre that puts on 6 shows a year and in april we will be doing willy wonka and the chocolate factory so we have big plans for the video synth to be involved!
337is
wednesdayayay wrote:
we have a community theatre that puts on 6 shows a year and in april we will be doing willy wonka and the chocolate factory so we have big plans for the video synth to be involved!

This sounds really cool. Eager to see some video or stills from that adventure.
wednesdayayay
here are a couple quotes from lars over on the facebook group just in case anyone missed it
I have to jump on my wifes account every so often to check out this group

*on the marble index*
Marble Index, once available, is really the final piece of "glue" between all of the color mixer/manipulation modules we've designed for the system so far, and can function in harmony with Passage, Mapper, Color Chords, Cortex compositor, etc to enable a huge variety of different workflows that have complex hierarchies and full expandability without any "end points." Cortex is designed to be the system's primary RGB/color module in under 3U systems, but as systems expand, the color complexity can be relegated to other modules and Cortex then becomes like a final output processor, where it's easy to do "fade out to black/color" or output effects (like Negative, really handy for external feedback loops)

this next bit was taken from a back and forth but it should still make sense

*on the color chords as matrix mixer*
One more RGB/color tip: Since RGB are separate signals, you don't necessarily have to patch them or use them AS RGB colors. All the RGB modules could be used instead to create multiple monochromatic elements instead, that then get mixed and composited in different ways afterwards.
I'm just pointing out that instead of treating, say, Color Chords, as an RGB mixer/colorizer, you could instead treat it as a 3X3 Matrix mixer for general purpose matrix mixing of any kind of CV, shape, key, whatever.
To put it another way, audio is not sound until it hits a speaker. And the red channel is not actually red until it hits that final output encoder and then a display. Until then, you could call it "bob" instead, and use bob in all kinds of different ways.
nerdware
Yeah, I don't normally read that group either. So when I do, I find nuggets like the above quotes and save them in a file. I now have a folder with files on various subjects of video synthing. If we had a video synth wiki, we might add them there. Anyway, I can browse these "notes" for ideas and reminders. It saves me the bother of looking at FB more than I absolutely need to.
acgenerator
Now that there is a little bit more info on Arch: https://www.lzxindustries.net/products/arch/

I'm considering this as a voltage processor. Can someone explain what the 3 sections do in terms of actual voltage or waveforms? My assumption is that the input is 0-1v for all.

2-input,​ ​5-output​ ​wideband​ analog​ logic.

Binary logic can only see two colors: black and white. Analog logic processes the continuous grayscale range of your analog signal path, enabling organic combinations of images in novel ways.

This part makes little sense to me prolly because I'm thinking in Boolean terms. How does "MIN" equate to "OR", "MAX" to "AND", "ABSOLUTE" to "XOR", and what does "Intersection" and "clip"mean here in the Video realm? or more directly, if I insert a part of voltages that is the truth table that comes out of (A, B) to each output?

1-input,​ ​3-output​ full​ ​wave​ rectifier​ ​and​ frequency​ ​doubler.

We love this circuit – you can find it in the signal paths of Staircase, Shapechanger and Navigator. With an input triangle wave, you get a triangle wave at double the frequency at your output.

Less than clear to me what this does.
It looks like "Mirror" is a Full wave Rectifier.
"Darks" and "Lights" I can't tell what it a actually does.

1-input,​ ​2-output​ ​gamma​ ​processor.

An infinitely usable function, gamma processing adjusts the brightness of mid-gray level while keeping black and white points consistent. The square function darkens grays, and the log function brightens them.

My read on this 0V -> 0V; 1V -> 1V; values in between are transposed from a linear function to a exponential or logarithmic curve
337is
Lars posted this recently on the LZX FB group page. Perhaps it answers some of your questions?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2