MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doom / Drone metal practice amp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Doom / Drone metal practice amp
Rod Serling Fan Club
I'm getting back into playing guitar after not playing for years. I'm wanting to explore slower, doomy and drone metal style. I realize that this genre is all about playing loud and I do intend to have get a big amp and cab (leaning towards a V4 and maybe Marshall 4x12 cab). But I can't always play at full volume. So I'm wondering what people would recommend for a good practice amp that is reasonable for this style. Maybe a orange micro terror? What do you all think?
Just me
I will ALWAYS recommend a Peavey Bandit red stripe as a goto practice amp.
sduck
The boss katana series is getting rave reviews these days. I have a fender mustang gt40 which gets much worse reviews, but for the size and price is hard to beat - it's got tons of low end, and a whole bunch of overdrive/fuzz type options I haven't even explored much.
GGW
Another vote for the Boss Katana here. I think they have really added something to amp modelling with these. I have the basic 50w and it sounds great. There is now a "Mini" that seems to be pretty good. Lots of YouTube demo videos on these. They can defiantly do the heavy sounds.
controlFreak
You need to stack about 100 15W amps against a wall for a proper doom practice sesh.
anarchy4bits
http://deep-minimal-drone-doom.bandcamp.com/album/earth

all guitars on this album are recorded with a fender hot rod deluxe 40w tube amp and a TC bassamp with 20" speaker in a little room. we used the clean channel on fender and drive it with a rat/muff combination. we recorded the guitar amp via dynamic and the bass amp with condensator microphon. the amps was not really loud for recording.
PISS.EXE
I unironically really love the 15 watt Fenders with the built in overdrive. You'll know why when you play one, the guy from Rusted Shut would play one mic'd into a PA system, that's how he got his insane tone.
smetak
http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/671-sunn-o-stephen-omalley- guitar-and-bass-rig-gear
Rod Serling Fan Club
I appreciate the ideas. I'm half thinking just getting a capable head and a 2x12 or 4x12 and sometimes just playing at less volume. I've just heard that tone can suffer doing this. I've come across some low wattage Sunn Model T clones but they are pricey. Still, might be what I need. I'm more of a bedroom noise-maker anyway.

Just looking for great Doom, drone, stoner tone that I don't have to sacrifice my hearing for. A tall order, I know.
PISS.EXE
get a bass combo amp, go try some out and find one that doesnt have a veiled high range
abandonist
If you can find one, Red Bear amps are right in this wheelhouse. Every knob has a "way too much!" level, so it's easy to dial in good tones at low volumes. They're essentially JCM800s hotrodded.
D.o.S.
Red Bears are getting expensive, though -- the SovTek treatment.

To be honest I think any classically voiced head (preferably with tubes) will be worthwhile with a decent 2x12 or 4x12, doom stuff is mostly about feeling the riffs enough that you don't realize you're just doing Sabbath slowly. lol
Rod Serling Fan Club
I picked up an old 2x12 fender cab with newer Eminence speakers that can be attunated. I'm just gonna get a decent head and try the speaker attenuation to turn down the volume a bit but drive the head reasonably loud.
mwn
My solution is: Orange OR50 -> Weber Attenuator -> Orange 4x12. You can get the power tubes riled up this way, but it doesn't sound right unless the speakers are driven hard.
abandonist
For the drone/noise band I play in I use an Orange Bass Terror through an SWR 8x8. Even turned down low it sounds great.

https://hexenight.bandcamp.com/album/gwetia
dkcg
Try out some demo versions of amp sims, if you would consider using the computer. You might find something good enough w/o shaking the house and the cops having a visit. Rockin' Banana!

I prefer amps and pedals, but NI Guitar rig wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I also use a Keeley GC-2 compressor/limiter to prevent clipping and Empress EQ/boost into the audio interface to taste (my gretsch needs a boost).
epl0
If you're interested in the smaller side of practice amps the Roland Micro Cube is amazing - great clean signal that you can build on, though I'll warn that most of the built-in effects are meh. Great for keeping next to the couch to jam, anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1