MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Whats the best ES option for expanding, and more in/out
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Whats the best ES option for expanding, and more in/out
r3x
Hey

Have a babyface rme + es3+es6.

I hate the struggle of getting it to work, but that is primarily due to totalmix being a pain in the ass.

The only reason i have the babyface is because i love RME's low latency and sound "feel".

However, i am thinking about selling it, and getting something else, that will simply give me equal sound, low latency, and more in and outputs for expert sleepers.

What is THE best solution for this, if i can go out and buy anything for a new expert sleepers setup?
Sarahah
Actually i don't have any idea regarding the same. Hope someone else would answer this one. hihi
mpl
if its more expert sleeper outs you want and not audio rate outs then the ES5/esx 8cv/esx8gt expanders will do the job with your existing set up
mike
os
Something with dual ADAT outputs would be a good choice, so you can go for 2x ES-3. I believe RME and MOTU make such things, amongst others.
el_ohso
Hey!

I am very new to the ,modular world. I would like to use my UAD´s Apollo optical in with the ES-8. what would the routing be in order to get 8 channels from the ES-8 to the UAD?

Also, what would be the maximum expansion for the ES-8?

Best regards
os
You would probably be better off looking at the ES-3/ES-6/ES-7.
el_ohso
But the thing with the ES8 is that I actually want to use the 8 outputs, but would like to have 8 inputs
os
Do you need the USB functionality of the ES-8?
el_ohso
I do! because my apollo twin duo doesn't have adat output, so I would be using the usb as an output from computer to Modular, but would like to be able to have 8 channels back to the computer. (initially, then I would like to also expand the outputs to 16)
os
If you're using the ES-8 over USB there's no need for the ADAT connection to the Apollo, unless you want to use it to share clock.

In this case you can expand the ES-8 up to its maximum 12 input channels with the ES-6 & ES-7.
rustbather
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I don't have permissions to make new threads yet.

I have had trouble (as a newb to ES-8) with finding unambiguous answers about how to expand the ES-8 when that time comes. If I have ES-8 operating as an audio interface, can it be linked to ES-5 for expansion? Or is it supposed to go to ES-6 and/or ES-7?

This part in the docs has thrown me off (regarding the ES-5)

Quote:
Software Requirements
Unlike the ES-3 itself, the ES-5 requires particular software in order to generate meaningful output signals. Currently, the only such software is the 'ES-5 Controller' plug-in, part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way, and our Max/MSP external

I understand that would be true for directly connecting to just ES-5. But is it the case that ES-8, as audio interface, could connect to ES-5, and it would work? Without specifically using Silent Way?

Silent Way is great Mr. Green and I will use it too when I'm using Ableton. I am just thinking of the other case when I am using VCVRack and ES-8 is an audio interface, not necessarily involving Silent Way.

... Lastly, thanks & sorry if this is obvious to others, I've looked at many, many threads and I haven't been able to reach certainty about this.
os
Quote:
If I have ES-8 operating as an audio interface, can it be linked to ES-5 for expansion? Or is it supposed to go to ES-6 and/or ES-7?

All of the above. The ES-5 expands the outputs; the ES-6/7 expand the inputs.

If you want to use VCV, without Silent Way, your best expansion choice is an ES-3.
rustbather
@os Thank you! That clears things up for me!
Ulleks
Hi.

I don't have permission to open a new thread, sorry I'm using an old one.
I tried to get clarity through the forum, with little success.

I'm a total newbie, so I could really use some help to understand what I need.

I use ableton on mac with a Focusrite Clarett 2pre. (no ADAT output, only input).
I want to be able to send cv FROM ableton TO the modules and record multiple audio FROM the module TO ableton. And of course I want to keep my focusrite with Ableton.

My question is: which ES module / modules do I need?

Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1