MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vermona DRM1 mk3 vs. Jomox Xbase 09
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Vermona DRM1 mk3 vs. Jomox Xbase 09
daveholiday
*Disclaimer* This is subjective so I will do the best to describe my thoughts and expectations about what I heard out of these two machines.

All of my drums in the past have been handled by a JV-1080, MC-505, Novation D-station, or Reason. I have always kept up with "analog stuff" just for fun. But for drums, I feel like I have it covered...but there was always a curiosity about analog drum machines. In the past couple months I was able to acquire a Vermona DRM1 mk 3 and a Jomox X base 09. When I got them both together and demoed side by side I was amazed at the difference.

I was mainly concerned with the Kick drum so that is where I started. In a nut shell the Jomox hits very hard with a very sharp attack and thump the the DRM1 just cant do. The DRM1 can go beyond the tonal range of the Jomox, but it just cant reproduce the hard hits that the Jomox can. Even when you go into the 808 "tonal boom range" the Jomox just has an edge over the Vermona. This is not to say that Vermona is bad at Kick drums...just that I was looking for the presence of the Jomox!

So the rest.....

Jomox snare is decent but the Vermona (In my opinion) just has better range and presence. The clap in the Vermona....again, I just think it is good.

I don't like analog hats so the Vermona does nothing for me....and if I need sampled hats...well I have better options that the Jomox!

They are two very different machines that do things very well. I will keep both (I think) might be better off getting an M base....and pairing it with the Vermona.

Just a thought I would throw that out there for those thinking of an analog drum machine who might be looking into either.

On a side note...

The DRM1 mk3 would be a fantastic investment for anyone interested in industrial or electro with a knack for processing. A cheaper altenative would be a Drumbrute!

Please be kind with your comments...just a hack trying to make a bit of music that floats around in my head.
seepaxton
At one stage I had both the xbase and drm 1 mkiii, (and an m base 09).
I would love to still have them. I got the jomox first and was pretty new to sequencing drum patterns. I found the sequencer really hard to work with and in the end, was using it as a sound module sequencing it via an Electribe.
This led me to sell the machine, but I'm sure now with a few more years behind me, the seq would be just fine, I guess what I'm trying to say is it's not the most beginner friendly machine.
Had the vermona and loved it but again I didn't have a decent sequencer for it. I'd say a beatstep pro with that would be amazing.
The combo of the vermona and m base 09 is a solid combination, which I would highly recommend.
stylesforfree
I also have a vermona drm mk 3 and I think its brilliant, well built, sounds amazing, the tonal pallette is extremely varied and its very immediate in any application.

The kick - while not as hard hitting as I expected....generates all the different tones that I look for.

The clap on certain settings sounds unreal, same with the snare, both lovely but the hats take a bit of work to get what I want out of them

I dig the FM on the drum 1 and 2, some crazy sounds can be made.
zfigz
i had a vermona for a bit and i really liked it except not being able to save patch settings.

i was a big fan of the snare and the clap.
Biom
Owned both, sold xbase.

Apples vs oranges, regarding the sound.

I think it really depends on the music you're planning to create on these.
09 is house/techno all the way, although, I think there are better choices available today, as having just a kick/snare/clap/hat is pretty boring. Nothing to tweak, really. And you're limited to 3 voices only.

Vermona is the best drum synth I've ever owned. But totally unusable for house/techno standard generic rhythms. They sound stupid on it.
If you're after sonic explorations, synthesis and weird stuff, Vermona would be of interest. It has a very massive, yet intelligent analog sound and lots of controls.
What personally love it for is its pseudo-acoustic characteristic.
I also prefer it's bass drum to jomox (I own mbase 11), though they are different and maybe good to have both.
Jaypee
yh totally depends on your music
Vermona is more for minimal music.
jomox for classic house and techno

Vermona clap is the best I've ever heard
josaka
Vermona DRM is an all time classic.. can do allsorts..
its not easy to master the parameters(which most machines don't even have)and the relations between the sounds to make a great "kit" ..
comparing the sounds with "preset" drum machines is silly in a way as they only really do one kit.. (with pitch length)
saying it cant do techno is odd..techno is about future music.. it can certainly do that more than most..
each to their own.
Biom
josaka wrote:
techno is about future music..

Future music of money making

Btw, talking about Vermona and techno, one of my favorite electronic records "plastikman - closer" was done on drm1 almost exclusively! If only nowadays techno records can be at least 10% as creative as this..
Julien_S0re1
One thing I noticed with respect to the drm is that the bass drum sounds a little weak / limp through headphones and desktop speakers but absolutely is earth shattering through a proper pa. Through a full house system it screams and takes on a much more full tonal range and resolution. Extremely deep!
minimalist
I also had both and loved them. I still use Jomox for most of my drums (Airbase 99) but would like another Vermona. If it could accept midi cc, I would already have another.
peripatitis
Biom wrote:
josaka wrote:
techno is about future music..

Future music of money making

Btw, talking about Vermona and techno, one of my favorite electronic records "plastikman - closer" was done on drm1 almost exclusively! If only nowadays techno records can be at least 10% as creative as this..

I just listened to it, there are some really great percussion sounds on that one! Especially the clap/snares are beautiful..
Biom
yep. drm1 + space echo. Perfect match
Jaypee
Julien_S0re1 wrote:
One thing I noticed with respect to the drm is that the bass drum sounds a little weak / limp through headphones and desktop speakers but absolutely is earth shattering through a proper pa. Through a full house system it screams and takes on a much more full tonal range and resolution. Extremely deep!

Yeah. The sub is really pure and fat. but it's really easy to replicate it with couple of modules.
now i want to re-buy a Vermona just for his/her clap and kick Dead Banana

Biom wrote:

How do you know it? I checked on discos and no mention of it. I'm curious smile
Is it the MK3 version?
Biom
Jaypee wrote:

Is it the MK3 version?

Is there other gear mentioned he used on an album?

If you ever have/had one, you will recognise it everywhere.

Also, totally disagree with the weakness of the bd. You can make it gentle, thin, clicky, but it's quite easy to create massive kicks with "bend-time-wave" combinations.

One thing that really annoys me in drm1 is its noisy mixer and outputs. My unit produces noise even through the individual outputs. I'm usually comfortable with the analog hiss (sometimes even amplify it), but the Vermona's nasty hum /buzz drives me mad sometimes..
Jaypee
Biom wrote:
Jaypee wrote:

Is it the MK3 version?

Is there other gear mentioned he used on an album?

If you ever have/had one, you will recognise it everywhere.

Also, totally disagree with the weakness of the bd. You can make it gentle, thin, clicky, but it's quite easy to create massive kicks with "bend-time-wave" combinations.

One thing that really annoys me in drm1 is its noisy mixer and outputs. My unit produces noise even through the individual outputs. I'm usually comfortable with the analog hiss (sometimes even amplify it), but the Vermona's nasty hum /buzz drives me mad sometimes..

I will check the album.
Didn't find any info on the gear used on discogs like I said.

Mine was super quiet. Even after boosting the signal with a pre amp.

Wish Vermona make an eurorack version of it...that C L A P love
tIB
I preferred the sound of the jomox overall to warrant bagging a reasonably cheap drm1 a while back. I remember not being keen on the snare (which I love on the jomox, though lots dont!) and I dont use hats much so the deal became about whether the kick, bass and claps warranted the price, all of which I had covered in the I jomox to varying degrees of satisfaction.

The vermona had its charms though, and if I could have got the trigger inputs playing better Id have been more likely to have gone for it.
stk
Had a DRM for a while recently. Honestly the only real thing that moved me was the kick - certainly not 909 thunky but a really nice bass bloom. Rest of the channels were ok, but very narrow sweet spot that, for me, is better served by samples.
Couldn't justify the cost for a single (albeit nice) bass drum so sold it on.
Had to try it though, machine of such alleged pedigree.
Biom
Jaypee wrote:

Mine was super quiet. Even after boosting the signal with a pre amp.

Lucky you are!
All units that I used to tweak (since mk2) had this noise issue. And 100% of them, new or used, produced hum when the master level is at max.
They even recommend to keep it lower in the manual.

I've bought mine new from Schneiders and it already had the hum.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1