MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack MFOS WSG in SMT??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Eurorack MFOS WSG in SMT??
southphillysynths
I have a few noise boxes that I really love the sound of but are a collection of stomp boxes. I would really love to have them in my eurorack case to declutter cabling etc.

One of the boxes I build is an MFOS WSG which I think really sounds great. I was wondering if there was anyone who came up with a WSG in eurorack format and alternatively would it make sense to shrink the circuit to be smt or possibly have a new layout design to make all hardware pcb mount.

Has anyone done this or seen it?
LED-man
Mfos ultimate in SMT.
Available soon on synthcube.com

southphillysynths
WOW that's the first I've heard of that, that's pretty incredible!

I haven't done any SMT but now might be the time to start...
abelovesfun
oh shit
IImyment
applause
fluxmonkey
back to the OP - i love the WSG as an intro to DIY project - easy build, easy to mod, easy to troubleshoot. SMT would undercut all those advantages (yes yes i know SMT isn't that hard, but it's harder than TH)
southphillysynths
fluxmonkey wrote:
back to the OP - i love the WSG as an intro to DIY project - easy build, easy to mod, easy to troubleshoot. SMT would undercut all those advantages (yes yes i know SMT isn't that hard, but it's harder than TH)

I absolutely agree, I was just saying that having such a good sounding drone voice would be nice to have in the rack. I would still always have my stand alone device as well.
-al-
Awesome to see Ray's work getting new/further development.
diablojoy
hmm would you want all the mods ?
including power starving ?
Starspawn
I got a soft spot for the WSG, I consider the trigger out and cv input mods to be very usefull (cv in for audio fm mostly), but what it really needs is good cv control of the filter, so finetuning the vactrol mod to get the nice linear sloooow modulations and not effect the character of the filter to much would be top of my wishlist.
southphillysynths
diablojoy wrote:
hmm would you want all the mods ? including power starving ?

I built mine completely stock and am super happy with it. Mods might be cool but I'm totally fine just having it be the vanilla version
dhaillant
I made this:

(SMD version MFOS SoundLab Mini Synth)

And in the same way, I'm making a SMD version of the WSG.
dhaillant
LED-man wrote:
Mfos ultimate in SMT.

Love it ! love
southphillysynths
dhaillant

that is incredible!! Are you just making them for yourself? or would they be available in short runs?
dhaillant
southphillysynths wrote:
dhaillant

that is incredible!! Are you just making them for yourself? or would they be available in short runs?

Thanks smile

It's a 10 PCB run. I'll build only 2 or 3 for my personnal use. So 7 PCBs are available.
IImyment
pm sent to David Dead Banana
diablojoy
Quote:
Mods might be cool but I'm totally fine just having it be the vanilla version

haha yeah been a long time since I played with that circuit got carried away with it a bit and ended up with 8 vactrols on one lol a bit on the expensive side for this really
I would suggest a vactrol on the coarse filter pot , The drive circuit for that I used I borrowed from the scott stites mutant vactrol filter.

power starving the cmos via a pot is interesting and well worth adding .
and probably all I would recommend now
daynehacks
dhaillant wrote:
I made this:

(SMD version MFOS SoundLab Mini Synth)

And in the same way, I'm making a SMD version of the WSG.

Sent you a PM, Cool!!!
dhaillant
I never tried any mod on my genuine WSG. I should experiment some... on breadboard first. FUUUCCKKKK!!!
dhaillant
I'm preparing the layout of the front panel for the WSG.
It's not that easy to make everything fit under 22HP without changing from the classic layout.
Here's what makes me happy for now:

What do you think? It's 18HP.
southphillysynths
dhaillant

that looks amazing! Very efficient use of space in my opinion and reasonable hp amount!

I would add either MFOS or Ray wilson or something on the panel just to pay respects we're not worthy
tojpeters
Symthcube is handling the sales and other affairs for Ray Wilson's (MFOS) family.
Make sure you get permission before offering any PCBs/panels for sale.
abelovesfun
Yes I believe Grayscale and Synthcube have exclusive rights from the family.
dhaillant
Quote:
Make sure you get permission before offering any PCBs/panels for sale.

You're absolutely right.
But I don't plan to sell (or trade) anything more than half a dozen extra PCBs I'll get from the one-shot PCB batch.
I'll post DIY stuff (schematics, gerber, FPD files...).
Captain Sternn
LED-man wrote:
Mfos ultimate in SMT.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2