MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

4ms sts sampler vs morphagene
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 4ms sts sampler vs morphagene
md1frejo
I haven't seen any comparison between these and I am in the market for a sampler.

the morphagene seems to be more tape splice oriented, or should I say a sampler with the make noise twist while the 4ms seems to be more straight forward. and the 4ms is 120€ cheaper here in eu. but I like make noise stuff.

so, is the morphagene worth that extra 120€ or should I play it safe and go for the 4ms?
BillyB909
I have the Morphagene and I don't think it's right to think of it as a normal sampler; it's more a unique instrument in it's own right based around tape splicing, granular synthesis, and iterative sound on sound stuff. It doesn't track v/Octave, for example.

If you're looking to record a load of samples and play them back as a traditional sampler, the Morphagene's not the one. You can do that, but it's not immediate and not what it's necessarily built for. Have a look at the demos on the Make Noise youtube channel - that might help.

I don't know the 4ms or what it's capable of.
md1frejo
yeah, they are different beasts, and as mentoined, I like the make noise approach. But I already have a clouds that can do the granular stuff.

Also to consider is the tip top one sampler, a one trick pony but for half of the price and it covers the basic stuff.
BillyB909
Not sure the Tiptop One can actually record though? I thought it was just a playback device?
md1frejo
thats right. it uses a micro sd card whereas morphagene and sts both can record. I guess both also have to write to the sd card or are they non volatile?
NoLegs
I have Clouds and the Morphagene and find them to be two completely different animals with very little overlap. I think the same is most likely true for the 4MS sampler - it looks to be a little more on the traditional side as far as functionality goes.
md1frejo
yeah, I know. I also got clouds, so the overlap is in the ganular part. Morphagene is probably great to play with but it is a little on the expensive side here in eu.
NoLegs
I really just don't think of the Morphagene as a granular synth/sampler at all.
asteraster
i was mulling this decision recently - i made a similar post actually, with no replies hihi

decided to go with the 4ms STS because, like you, i have Clouds (x2) and thought i had smearing/mangling sort of covered.. and i've been using the DLD for a while and appreciating how powerfully straightforward it is - the STS sort of feels like that too. i'm really appreciating having super clean, great sounding samples at the start of a chain of modules, taking that material and using a modular approach to manipulating the material - i haven't used the phonogene or the morphagene, but i've seen people describing it like an instrument unto itself - i suppose because MN is specifically going for that tape splicing tradition.

i'm sure it's tons of fun and powerful too, but if you like using samples as a starting point for your music, the STS definitely delivers and then some. plus it's two channels - playing two samples off each other is ace.
Dogma
Reflex Live Looper - its brilliant
md1frejo
asteraster wrote:
i was mulling this decision recently - i made a similar post actually, with no replies hihi

decided to go with the 4ms STS because, like you, i have Clouds (x2) and thought i had smearing/mangling sort of covered.. and i've been using the DLD for a while and appreciating how powerfully straightforward it is - the STS sort of feels like that too. i'm really appreciating having super clean, great sounding samples at the start of a chain of modules, taking that material and using a modular approach to manipulating the material - i haven't used the phonogene or the morphagene, but i've seen people describing it like an instrument unto itself - i suppose because MN is specifically going for that tape splicing tradition.

i'm sure it's tons of fun and powerful too, but if you like using samples as a starting point for your music, the STS definitely delivers and then some. plus it's two channels - playing two samples off each other is ace.

I´ve got the dld too, making it harder to decide. The morphagene, does it play only one sample whereas sts plays two?

Quote:
Reflex Live Looper - its brilliant

does it accept sd cards and is there a retailer in eu?
asteraster
ya the STS is stereo - you can play two samples at once, in stereo. or two mono. morphagene is one thing at a time.

DLD and STS pair very well together. taking the end out into the DLD's ping makes for some interesting delays when modulating the start and length
Acquadar
I sell the Morphagene. It was boring and almost impossible to cut the splices where you want to. Have a Phonogene, that I dont sell, and love my two Clouds and my two DLD. I'll take an STS for sure but not now. Wait the first firmware revision...
Bachelard
+1 for the Reflex Liveloop. Sound on sound, splice, bitcrushy delay - once you get the hang of the interface it's very, very powerful.
md1frejo
Bachelard wrote:
+1 for the Reflex Liveloop. Sound on sound, splice, bitcrushy delay - once you get the hang of the interface it's very, very powerful.

but does it have a sd card slot? it also seems hard to find it in eu.
Jumbuktu
Acquadar wrote:
I sell the Morphagene. It was boring and almost impossible to cut the splices where you want to. Have a Phonogene, that I dont sell, and love my two Clouds and my two DLD. I'll take an STS for sure but not now. Wait the first firmware revision...

At first I had trouble cutting the splices where I wanted, until I realised that you need to have Morph set to 1:1 , otherwise the splices never seem to land in the right place. With the Morph knob set correctly, the Morphagene is no more difficult to splice than the Phonogene.

And of course you can set the splices on your computer and save to a SD card if you want precise loops and slicing.
koyl
md1frejo wrote:
Bachelard wrote:

but does it have a sd card slot? it also seems hard to find it in eu.

There's a Flash 8 expansion board available to keep your samples and loops:
http://www.freshnelly.com/reflex/flash8.htm
Only 8 memory slot but you could store A LOT of samples in several slices of 1 big samples.

You can order directly directly from the builder's website. I did (I'm in France) and add no trouble.
tommygee
I let my Morphagene go and got a STS instead. Loved the Morphagene, and its detailed looping/splicing functions but the lack of 1V/Oct input made it difficult for me to make it fit into the music I make. I ended up using Granulator II for MFL Ableton, 8 out of 10 times instead of the Morphagene.

Haven't used the STS so much yet. But I love its file system, that it have got two samplers in one, the way you can make those two samplers interact with each other, the awesome audio quality, that you can CV control selection of which sample to play and obviously 1V/Oct.

I would love the option of choosing between Length knob with envelope and then a length knob that works more similar to gene size at the Morphagene. A function similar to the "spray" knob at Granulator II would be amazing.

But all in all STS is an awesome module - great value for the money !!!
md1frejo
I ordered the STS, I think it will fit nicely besides my dual delay. While morphagene looks interesting it is more expensive at the end of the day
Arders Bergdahl
Hmmm have both, will keep both, i think Morphagene is more experimental and sound design oriented while the STS is great for having samples as sound source.. and by altering parameters a lot of intresting sound will emerge... so it can be used in an experimental fashion as well... there sweet spots are very different.. IF basically want a sample player/recorder STS is porbably easier to get started with.. but if you want to go into unchartered territory the Morphagene is probably a better fit..
md1frejo
Arders Bergdahl wrote:
Hmmm have both, will keep both

muff wigler doctrine thumbs up
alexbarbed
I too struggle with the Morphagene, probably because I'm trying to make it more traditional than it is. For ambient crossfading grains it's pretty unbeatable I think, but I don't make much music like that.
I was looking at the Harvestman Tyme Sefari which looks cute but demos always seem to include terrible crackling which put me off a bit? Plus I see it's discontinued.
dooj88
edit, did more research and decided to contribute rather than spam questions..

bit of an old thread, but i'm struggling to make a decision based on the differences. i'll outline my thought process. comments or experiences very welcome.

i'm not really into straightforward sample playing, i'm interested in recording audio in and messing about with it. based on my understanding, it seems the sts is a limited dual channel morphagene. (which for me means potentially more immediately varied tone. 2 channels vs 1)

notes for live audio (drone) processing, as this is what i'd be using it for.

~morpha gene size:
sts would be length

~morpha slide:
sts would be start position

~morpha morph:
play cv jack (though not sure behavior of retriggering a sample much faster than sample can play with a small length. silence?) the automatic alternating of l/r triggering is intriguing for getting more immediate variety.

~mophagene organize:
no equivalent, but could have 2 'splices' or record 2 instances of drone audio on either channel. could also record multiple samples in a bank and CV select which one. clunky, but doable. i know there's a way to define a window of a sample, but not clear at this point.

both modules have hidden combo presses, so can't fault one or the other for that. but ultimately, the sts seems a little more playable and interactive, plus v/oct tracking is a big plus. for the morpha, i'd probably end up setting splices, refining incoming CV, then sit back to enjoy the results. these days i'm a little more active in my droney semi-generative patches, rather than setting up everything and letting it play itself.
alexbarbed
Since my last post on this subject I've fallen in love with the Morphagene. Once I realised what it wasn't, I started to find out what it was good at. Now I couldn't be without it. It's not very good as a sampler because pitch tracking is kind of hit and miss, but it is very good as a tape loop granular magic machine.
bandobandobando
I am debating whether to sell my Morphagene for a 4ms STS because I want the ability to play two samples simultaneously. However, I have a compact 104hp system and need those 2 samples to be delivered to a VCA/MIXER using one mono patch cable.

Does anyone know if (in monophonic mode), with the new firmware update and split monitoring, I could:

- Patch OUT(L) to REC(R)
- Monitor/listen to OUT(L) thru the OUT(R)
- While also playing samples out of the right channel to OUT(R)

In other words, can you monitor incoming audio and playback samples simultaneously on the same channel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2