MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sampling everyday objects into instruments
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Sampling everyday objects into instruments
mikemath7
I tried my hand at being a mad sound scientist and recorded noises from every object I could think of. For example, a bathroom door squeak turned into a bass sound for my upcoming track.

https://howtogrowmorelimbs.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/the-mad-sound-scie ntist/

Has anyone else here tried similar approach? I thought it was pretty damn fun and could've spent all day at it.
CF3
Been doing this for years (decades, really). Pretty much everything in my house has been recorded and manipulated at one time or another. Some of the best pads sounds I've ever done came from multisampled field recordings. Freesounds.org is great for this too. Lots of random recordings of all sorts of crazy stuff.
PhineasFreak
i keep a zoom handheld recorder on the desk in my studio - takes a matter of seconds to check the levels before recording, it has stereo mics, records straight to sd card and has built in usb interface so i can dump recordings straight into ableton!

easy to go record just about anything anywhere - batteries last about a year even with heavy use.

only things it cant do well are the kinda stuffs that suit contact mics - but it has external mic in socket!

cannot recommend highly enough...
Muzone
PhineasFreak wrote:

...........easy to go record just about anything anywhere

That's the important thing isn't it, no fretting about the technical specs, just keep a handheld "all in one" ready and get in the habit of recording anything potentially useful or interesting smile
phase ghost
Yep, all the time. I've got an older tascam that I record all types of shit with. Thunderstorms, boiling water, random social gatherings (hidden, of course), and loads of other stuff.

My recorder eats batteries like a mother fucker though. Only downside to it, really.
MindMachine
https://gizmodo.com/scientists-made-music-from-the-human-microbiome-an d-it-1798537905

Heard about this on the radio and it sounded like industrial noise (which I like).

Sort of related I guess.
Funky40
the handheld tip is great ! thanks.

i so often wnated to record something in my appartment but didn´t cause it sucked to setup a recording environment.
.....starting with a mixer etc.

I´m just shaping a surfboard out of house isolation Foam.
in fact i cut it with a knife.
got out AWESOME Sounds the other day.
reminder to myself: need to record asap !
TS
Yes! I have a pack I am working on where a lot of sounds come from random items and are tuned into all sorts of percussion and fx. Ticket machines, glass pings, metal scrapes, footsteps, etc. Processing them is a lot of fun.
chickencoder
In one of the art rooms at my school one of the old drying racks makes an incredible creepy/haunted-house noise that genuinely sounds like the real thing. Managed to convince some teachers to borrow gear and sample it.

Made some awesome tracks with it. Should probably put it on freesound.org
umma gumma
pretty neat ideas here

I considered sampling some wet farts...then realized it's much easier to just get those sounds using a synth!!

grin
ok1632871
Handheld recorders definately the way to go!
sine language
umma gumma wrote:
pretty neat ideas here

I considered sampling some wet farts...then realized it's much easier to just get those sounds using a synth!!

grin

Place mic in toilet bowl for natural reverb wink
baxoutthebox
i use the marantz pmd tape deck to record anywhere, anytime. battery powered and has a built in mic. and its tape (a positive for me)
LoFi Junglist
Neurofunk may not be your cup of tea... but Billian sure does know how to sample.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1