MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyphonic modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Polyphonic modules
soggybag
Making chords is very not easy. I have been looking into modules that allow polyphony. What are your impressions of these and what would add to the list.

Rings - up to 4 voices.
    Elements - has a mode that allows 2 voices
    4MS SMR - has 6 voices
sandettie

Qu-Bit's Chord
    MakeNoise Telharmonic
ldd23
Mutable Edges: three square wave oscillators and one sine / triangle. You can tune them to intervals and drive from a single v/8 input and run the mix output through one channel of envelope / VCA to get chords without much work.
sexslut
Akemie's Castle has a chord mode as well.

From the manual:

Quote:
VCO A is able to produce up to 5 voice chords which the V/Oct input providing the root frequency of a selected to chord.

The type of Chord is selected by the ‘Chord’ control offset and/or a control voltage at the associated Chord input. The chord selection with number of voices are as follows;

1. Fifth (2)
2. 1 Octave (2)
3. 2 Octave (3)
4. 3 Octave (4)
5. Major (3)
6. Minor (3)
7. Suspended (3)
8. Augmented (3)
9. Diminished(3)
10. Dominant 7th (4)
11. Major 7th (4)
12. Minor 7th (4)
13. Maj/Dominant 9th (5)
14. Detuned (3)
15. Detuned (4)
16. Detuned (5)
mskala
Any module is polyphonic if you buy several copies of it. And I don't say that to be flippant - having completely separate voices patched on separate copies of the hardware really is the best way if you can afford to do it. Better control and more modularity than trying to find modules specifically designed to "allow" polyphony.

If you don't need to do polyphony in real time, there is also, always, multitracking.
sexslut
Very good point mskala. I have both the telharmonic and akemie's castle. I rarely use the chord modes because... they're just not very fun or intuitive. I have been using other synths for chords, or even different VCOs/voices (i.e. multiple VCOs that are not the same VCO). I'll have to play around more with multi-tracking, thanks for the idea!
soggybag
mskala wrote:
Any module is polyphonic if you buy several copies of it. And I don't say that to be flippant - having completely separate voices patched on separate copies of the hardware really is the best way if you can afford to do it. Better control and more modularity than trying to find modules specifically designed to "allow" polyphony.

If you don't need to do polyphony in real time, there is also, always, multitracking.

Good point, with some definite advantages.

I'm constrained for space and I thought it might be cool to add a new polyphonic voice.

Feeding a sequencer into a VCO means that the previous note is erased when a new pitch is created, this not the case with something like Rings or tElharmonic where the previous note rings on. This seems difficult to create by strictly adding more VCOs.
kwaidan
If you want to send a pitch CV to a module and have a chord ring out, Shapeshifter is probably your best bet. Rings in Ecstatic Peace mode can also yield good results. Braids and Akemie's Castle also have chord options.

With the Flame 4vox or SE Quadnic, you can also play fake chords; however, both modules also offer true polyphony. The Flame module even has MIDI input.

Yarns has an OSC mode which will yield true four voice polyphony. I use it with a Spectrum and Troika (a three voice VCO).

Doepfer is coming out with a four voice analog VCO. They already have one, but it is not temperature compensated.

MFB has a three voice VCO.

There are a few other options. Plus, Synthesis Technology is coming out with a four voice wavetable module.
soggybag
kwaidan wrote:
If you want to send a pitch CV to a module and have a chord ring out, Shapeshifter is probably your best bet. Rings in Ecstatic Peace mode can also yield good results. Braids and Akemie's Castle also have chord options.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize Braids could do chords! I have Braids, I got a used DIY so no manual. Will do some research...
witchbutter
Erica Pico Voice has a very nice chord mode. Although a bit limited in terms of timbre I've ended up using that mode several times.

There is also the Music Thing Chord Organ, though it might require some more prep work.

Mutable Elements has a nice chord mode in a newer firmware.

Lately I'm less interested in chords as much as I am in note polyphony for sustained notes, like when Plonk is in polyphonic mode it basically holds the last note until another note is played. While you could easily set up 2-3 basic VCOs to make simultaneous notes to make a chord, what makes it more interesting to here is how it can be rhythmically gated.
eewee
1010's synthbox is a four voice polyphonic module. And it comes for free (if you happen to have a bitbox lying around).
dreamdreamdream
It might not be polyphonic in the most strict definition of the word, but Ornament and Crime + 4 of something (or somethings) that make sound is one way to get polyphony. A lot of the trouble of getting polyphony in euro is getting multiple cv/gate and also something to sequence all that cv/gate with.

This isn't that hard with 4 channel midi to cv converters like yarns, and something to sequence with, but if you want to do all your sequencing inside euro getting 3-4 voices of polyphonic sequencing can get kind of expensive.

Now that VCO ICs are in abundance again, I wish someone would come out with a 4xVCO module. Just stick 4 cem3340s behind 1 panel with one set of controls and call it a day! There's already 4x versions of pretty much every other part of a synth voice. Is there a 4x filter out there anywhere? Maybe somebody should stick 4x 3320s behind a panel and call it a day too!

I've been wanting to do the whole 4x euro setup for a while. The 1010 synthbox looks awesome and would probably do the trick, but I'm a sucker for good old VCOs.
eewee
dreamdreamdream wrote:
Is there a 4x filter out there anywhere?

Saw this by accident last night: Qu-Bit have Tone, a quad VCF.
Numanoid92
Studio Electronics Quadnic is underrated. It has some awkward design choice, but it's a great sounding module
bchampion96
I've found the Music Thing Chord Organ paired with Make Noise Pressure Points (or two) to be a really easy and intuitive way of making chord progressions. It's not technically polyphony, but it works great!

have you heard of polyend?

http://polyend.com/poly/
DSC
mskala wrote:

Yep, that is spot on! And when you do find a module that sings well together, put them together and make them a custom synth voice just to your liking.
I did that with three Spectrum's from WMD and SSF.

franman69
^^^ Whoa ^^^^

that is sweet!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1