MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Other Manufacturers in the Serge Ecosystem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Other Manufacturers in the Serge Ecosystem
Waz
My apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a list of manufacturers who are making modules that will fit into the STS/R*S cases? I'm considering diving into Serge and would like to see what my options are.

Also, are there any groups making Serge panels for other DIY projects? Would there be any interest in Serge panels for the Open Source Mutable Instruments projects? Or other modules like O&C/ Terminal Tedium.
ear ear
I'm not sure there's anyone else doing R*S 4x4 panels? There is the Loudest Warning panel format from the bad producer. CLee, J3RK and SlightlyNasty doing stuff in this format. If you want Serge modules/panels built in your part of the world you could try tojpeters?
Waz
ear ear wrote:
I'm not sure there's anyone else doing R*S 4x4 panels? There is the Loudest Warning panel format from the bad producer. CLee, J3RK and SlightlyNasty doing stuff in this format. If you want Serge modules/panels built in your part of the world you could try tojpeters?

Are R*S 4x4 panels able to fit in STS racks? Is this a pretty standard format?
southphillysynths
Deff check out the loudest warning stuff, he has done some mutable 4U serge stuff.

http://loudestwarning.tumblr.com/

but so the 4X4 panels are broken up 4 inch panels X 4U this just allows more flexibility and building up a few modules at a time rather than serge being normally done in one 17'' panel that will rack mount in 19'' stand rackmount.

Many people design and make their own layout for various DIY modules using the old school paperface method that serge originally used in the early 70's (which loudest warning uses above for a lot of his small run stuff) You just print out the page and glue to metal, and drill the holes!

the STS racks only come in the m-class panels or full sized 17'' panels. you could theoretically use an m-class panel which is 8'' I beleive and use two more 4X4 modules if you have a powered bud boat.
ear ear
Waz wrote:
ear ear wrote:

Are R*S 4x4 panels able to fit in STS racks? Is this a pretty standard format?

If you look here it seems R*S boats can take STS M-Class panels, but I'm not sure if R*S panels fit STS boats...
ear ear
To go back to your original post, you could get in touch with Ralf and ask for the mechanical specification for the R*S 4x4 panels.
Waz
ear ear wrote:
To go back to your original post, you could get in touch with Ralf and ask for the mechanical specification for the R*S 4x4 panels.

I think I might do that when I finally get my hands on some of this stuff. My end goal is to make panels for popular Eurorack DIY projects and possibly sell them/do group buys.
pixelmechanic
4x4 panels *do* fit in STS boats, BUT because of the width of the panels the holes in the panels are not a good match for the predrilled screw fittings in the boats.

At the moment I've got one 4x4 panel flush up against my obelisk, but I worked out that (as long as I can live with 1 pair of screws in each 4x4 panel I could fit in 3 in one boat (1 hard left, 1 screwed into "obelisk" holes, 1 screwed into left screws of rhs mclass, obelisk (if necessary - which it's not in my case (in my case/boat)) hard right.

I also worked out that following the same I could fit 2 4x4 and 1 mclass as long as I don't use the obelisk in the intended fashion)

All in all, I should probably just buy one of the R*S boats to make it easier, but I got a second STS boat, obelisk and PSU for cheap!
Waz
pixelmechanic wrote:
4x4 panels *do* fit in STS boats, BUT because of the width of the panels the holes in the panels are not a good match for the predrilled screw fittings in the boats.

At the moment I've got one 4x4 panel flush up against my obelisk, but I worked out that (as long as I can live with 1 pair of screws in each 4x4 panel I could fit in 3 in one boat (1 hard left, 1 screwed into "obelisk" holes, 1 screwed into left screws of rhs mclass, obelisk (if necessary - which it's not in my case (in my case/boat)) hard right.

I also worked out that following the same I could fit 2 4x4 and 1 mclass as long as I don't use the obelisk in the intended fashion)

What about the other way around? Do M-Class Panels fit in R*S boats with no issues?
pixelmechanic
^ Yes... there are multiple sets of screw fittings to fit different configurations BUT you won't be able to fit an obelisk in there if you had two 4*4 and one m-class because the of the widths (in the standard boat)
Waz
pixelmechanic wrote:
^ Yes... there are multiple sets of screw fittings to fit different configurations

Thanks. I think I am going to start with the R*S XL enclosure then. w00t
ear ear
@pixelmechanic -- pictures or it didn't happen. smile
pixelmechanic
^ Note my edit - there will always be some gaps because of the fundamental difference in panel widths, but you'll be able to screw stuff in

Two 4x4 are wider than a single M-class.
pixelmechanic
ear ear wrote:
@pixelmechanic -- pictures or it didn't happen. smile

http://www.pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular15.jpg

w00t

(Actually, it's not as flush as I thought, but close enough for jazz hihi )
ear ear
applause Guinness ftw! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1