MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If you were adding only 1 module to a 208
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author If you were adding only 1 module to a 208
ritchiedrums
If you were going to have a live set up only containing a Music Easel & one additional module.......

What would that module be?

Guinness ftw!
Pierrelegere
245... Rockin' Banana!
pbanken
Hi there!
First, though it isn't a module, I'd go for Portabellabz's 208 Toolbox.

Todd's tutorials make it pretty obvious why this is an amazing addition to EVERY set up involving a Music Easel.

After that, based on my very limited experience within Buchla world, I would say a 281 Quad Function Generator.

I am certainly looking forward to more experienced users chipping in on this question!

Cheers, p.
Orwell
Another 208
InnnerSight
I guess it all depends on what you feel is missing from the Easel on its own. For me the Easel is all about hands on so any module would need to also be hands on so I would look at the 250.

However the Aux card or Portabellabz Toolbox, keeps it all integrated nicely with the easel and offer additional ways to modulate the Easel. I especially like the look of the Toolbox's ability to select the number of stages for the sequencer.
flabby
MARF 248r?
papz
I totally agree with pbanken and InnnerSight thumbs up lol
rkilman
Definitely a 289. So versatile, and very hands on. It can be an extra oscillator, a looper, a function generator, percussion generator, a harmonizer...
meatcliff
rkilman wrote:
Definitely a 289. So versatile, and very hands on. It can be an extra oscillator, a looper, a function generator, percussion generator, a harmonizer...

Ditto. Roman built 289 pairs great with the 208. The first 289 osc algo (wave folding triangle core?) on the top half into the 208, then 208 out into the bottom half of the 289 is really great. Using a 289 oscillator algo into LPG 2 is much more satisfying than using the mod osc and it's much more dynamic.

The DIY 289 has different algorithms so it's not as useful unless you pay for a custom eeprom set to get the trapezoid envelope and oscillators.

I'd also agree one of the expanders (or the DIY route for the same) is a great way to unlock the 208 itself, modulation wise.
rkilman
meatcliff wrote:
rkilman wrote:

Ditto. Roman built 289 pairs great with the 208. The first 289 osc algo (wave folding triangle core?) on the top half into the 208, then 208 out into the bottom half of the 289 is really great. Using a 289 oscillator algo into LPG 2 is much more satisfying than using the mod osc and it's much more dynamic.

The DIY 289 has different algorithms so it's not as useful unless you pay for a custom eeprom set to get the trapezoid envelope and oscillators.

I'd also agree one of the expanders (or the DIY route for the same) is a great way to unlock the 208 itself, modulation wise.

I didn't know the DIY version had different algorithms. Where can one get the DIY EEPROMs from?
memes_33
rkilman wrote:

I didn't know the DIY version had different algorithms. Where can one get the DIY EEPROMs from?

roman sells them- i think they're like $300.
i didn't get along with the 289- it requires a cheat sheet, which i've learned i just need to avoid as it slows my workflow and basically makes it so i don't use modules that require them.

MARF would be my first choice. but if you're thinking a single-space module, i'd say 281 as well.
sandettie
I replaced the 218 in my Easel with a MARF 248. This works well for me, since I'm not terribly interested in hands-on playing, and the MARF is ludicrously versatile.

I've used it as a sequencer, an EG, two separate oscillators, and I'm still in the shallow end of the MARF pool. This is fun!
woVERTICES
...a lowpass filter, perhaps a VedicScapes model...
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com (for music, art, and mayhem!)
Cobramatic
I added a 258 to mine - very very handy having another 2 oscillators - and for FM it is the best of the lot in my opinion.
I also switched out the keyboard for a 216 - but that is no doubt not to everybody's taste and you loose the arp. I just prefer the ability to set my own tuning and scales.
rkilman
memes_33 wrote:
roman sells them- i think they're like $300.

I knew about purchasing extra "official" algorithms, but I thought maybe the DIY Algorithms would be a cheeper/free way to add even more functionality. Oh well!

memes_33 wrote:
i didn't get along with the 289- it requires a cheat sheet, which i've learned i just need to avoid as it slows my workflow and basically makes it so i don't use modules that require them.

I totally get that. But the process of creating my own cheat sheet really helped me remember the algorithms and their functions better. And I've found the more I use the module, the less I need the cheat sheet.
Don T
I would be torn between a 258 and a 281.
TMortigan
How do you guys and gals feel about a 208 and a Dodeca together in an Easel case? I have always wondered about the two together.
aethyr
The OP was requesting advice on 1 additional module, wouldn't a 248 count as 4? The modular realm is certainly slippery. hihi
aethyr
Don T wrote:
I would be torn between a 258 and a 281.

since we have now expanded to 4 modules, how about a 281, 258 AND a 250?!? SlayerBadger!
ritchiedrums
guess I should be more specific Mr. Green

I have a BEMI easel & an additional 208r v2 in a 5 space boat.
So I currently have 1 extra space here.

Also familiar with the 208 toolbox, etc......... Guinness ftw!
flabby
Vedic scapes filter?
memes_33
TMortigan wrote:
How do you guys and gals feel about a 208 and a Dodeca together in an Easel case? I have always wondered about the two together.

i think there's too much redundancy between the two to be useful.

dodeca requires an audio source, and 208 is already (IMO) light there, so the space:usefulness ratio is low
208r rev 2 eek!
auxren
2OC would be a pretty sweet addition.
Knarzwaltz
267e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2