MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

midi diagnostic?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author midi diagnostic?
waxhead
I have a simple setup with Windows 10 connecting to Alesis control hub. If I plug my M-Audio Keystation 61 into the MIDI in on the Alesis, and connect its MIDI out to Mutable Instruments Yarns, everything works: I can record MIDI on the PC and play it back to drive the eurorack.

Then, nothing works. It may depend on the order I turn things on. Or maybe I need to turn around three times. Or perhaps it's the phase of the moon.

There appear to be no drivers or settings on Windows 10 that affect this. (This is Windows 10 on a high-end PC, not an upgrade from Windows 7). The DAW-ish things I've tried provide no feedback as to what's wrong.

Is there a hardware diagnostic out there to help with this? I'm imagining something I can plug either USB or a MIDI plug into with an LED to show when MIDI data is going by -- I have something like that to help diagnose Ethernet connections.

Or, is there a software diagnostic to help figure this out?
plushterry
I know this is a bit late, but it may be of help to others.

There is a great bit of software called MIDI OX that does pretty much exactly what you want (I think) http://www.midiox.com/, it also does a bunch of other useful stuff too so defo handy to have around when you're having MIDI pain.
Graham Hinton
waxhead wrote:
Is there a hardware diagnostic out there to help with this? I'm imagining something I can plug either USB or a MIDI plug into with an LED to show when MIDI data is going by -- I have something like that to help diagnose Ethernet connections.

A low level tester couldn't be simpler: MIDI Test Accessory.
This will show that you actually have data on the wire, which no software can for sure.

If you want to know what the data is and still be computer independent look out for a Studiomaster MA36. They are discontinued, but pop up on eBay from time to time.
flo
The old Roland A110 Midi Display also comes to mind.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1