MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8: what software ? want to use CV like audio samples
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author ES-8: what software ? want to use CV like audio samples
Funky40
ok, after months of waiting did i got my ES-8. ( nothing installed yet)

NEED HELP
to choose what software to get and to sort some upfront questions:
( i´m on OSX /Ableton + M4L )( yes, i´m aware of silent way ofcourse and also CV-toolkit.....but not anything other)

1. I want to record CV, mainly the LPG / ADSR / modulated sineweave thing.
i want to treat these "CV recordings" like audio samples.
A) can i do this in a audio editor like Wave lab ?
B) can i load these samples into a sampler like simpler and trigger my CV snippets like lets say drum samples ? ....or do i misunderstand something ?
C) if t his all works, would i even don´t need to have any CV specific software it seems to me ?

2. for controlling VCOs inclouding that caliobration thing, so that any VCO will track prwperly do i have to get silent way ? or is there also others to check ?

3. M4L devices for CV works: any Tipps ?

any help much appreciated.
Moon Indigo
I use Reaktor as a VST in Ableton for unterfacing with my ES8 and it works very well. It's flawless for my purposes.
Oblivion
FYI, I represent no company, I've just used this stuff for a bit and am trying to help. I have ES-40 with expanders and have done some complex stuff with them on a Mac. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Funky40 wrote:
1. I want to record CV, mainly the LPG / ADSR / modulated sineweave thing.
i want to treat these "CV recordings" like audio samples.
A) can i do this in a audio editor like Wave lab ?

I don't know Wave Lab, but if you're just cutting up recordings in to 'one hits,' most audio editors could do this. If you want to manually draw/adjust the actual waves, Audacity, and I believe ProTools can do this. Reaper, I know, does not - but again, can chop/edit.

Quote:
B) can i load these samples into a sampler like simpler and trigger my CV snippets like lets say drum samples ? ....or do i misunderstand something ?

As long as the sampler isn't doing any high-pass or DC-decoupling filtering this should work.

Quote:

C) if t his all works, would i even don´t need to have any CV specific software it seems to me ?

So it seems. Many of the SilentWay plugins and CV Toolkit tools are specifically for generating CV. If you only want to record/reuse CV, you're covered. That said, the softwares (I have both) offer some other cool stuff as well (and is a requirement for me with my ES-40, as the software has to fit multuple control channels into the stereo pair of SPDIF. ES-8 avoids this, AFAIK). But as for your stated 'need,' you could definitely start off without and buy later if you'd like to do/generate more.

Quote:

2. for controlling VCOs inclouding that caliobration thing, so that any VCO will track prwperly do i have to get silent way ? or is there also others to check ?

Silent Way, CV Toolkit, or I believe Reaktor Blocks can do this. You COULD record/generate CV the same was as above, but the software makes it easier, and essential (I believe) if you want to play from MIDI (sequence, keyboard, etc.).

Quote:

Sorry, no, I don't use Live much.

Good luck.
Funky40
Oblivion wrote:

Good luck.

Much Thanks for your detailed reply Oblivion !
and also MoonIndigo .

bought me CV toolkit yesterday. Will install it on my macbook for first tests. tough my ES-8 is still not installed.
will have to buy me silent way anyway at some point i think.
have Reaktor 6 ( komplete11) but never used it. Don´t like NIs GUIs etc.

my problem right now is that my back is injured and i have to keep PC time as short as possible.
So your input will help me alots to focus directly on my main aims when i get the time to do.

i really think that loading CV snippets into a sampler must be one of the most rewarding uses in regards to use a PC for CVs

THANKS !
Oblivion
Good luck with your back. That's rough. I'm curious how you get on with that sampler playback. I'd never considered it, but it could be quite cool.
peripatitis
perhaps a mungo module? I am waiting for an s0 at the moment and as i understand it it can record and playback cv as well, so if one could load those cv's on a card it might work nicely..
gummyboy
Funky40 wrote:

It works just fine.

actually, if you're familiar with M4L, IMO it's better to make one device for one function. It's more convenient for me though.. I also use silent way but sometimes it has too many good functions...

something like image...very simeple DC generator.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1