MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A few modules to compliment Kilpatrick Phenol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A few modules to compliment Kilpatrick Phenol
Faastwalker
The Phenol is on it's way - not even got it yet but can't seem to help myself from sizing up some possible Euro Rack gear to expand it's potential. I'm determined to just have a few modules to compliment the Phenol ...... famous last words? I'm aware I could be slipping into a Euro Rack rabbit hole here. But isn't that the point?! cool

I'm thinking of a TipTop Happy ending to slot into a 19" desktop rack. This will sit right behind the Phenol on the desktop so will be perfectly positioned & has it's own power supply & connectors , so I won't need to worry about power needs & extra power cables. My only concern should be what to fill it with.

I'm interested in Euro Rack for the stranger, more experimental end of the audio capabilities. I'm thinking more Richard Devine, Keith Fullerton Whitman sounds, although obviously in a much more modest & compact configuration. The Make Noise Maths seems like a must, but mainly because I see it everywhere. TipTop also do some other interesting looking modules that I think could be cool to add.

Any other tips or ideas of where I might take this, without taking it into me being totally broke?! woah

Cheers for any advise, tip, guidance & sanity wink
MindMachine
Happy Nerding FM Aid, Intellijel Dixie II+ VCLFO/VCO, attenuators/attenuverters, another VCF (Bastl Cinnamon, Doepfer Wasp, etc.), Intellijel Quadra, Doepfer A-132-1 dual VCA or Intellijel uVCA II.

The FM Aid adds a ton of different flavors and the Dixie would add a lot too.

edit - and a Ladik Gated Slew for chvad. Or does me mean a MiniSlew or Maths?
technicoloraudio
you're going to need a format converter to start, and I am pretty sure that the Phenol has a grounding solution for the banana jack side.

this can be accomplished in or out of rack, depends on your level of OCD.

what are you going to sequence or control with? having something to constructively modulate phenol parameters is definitely going to give you some depth and controlled chaos that makes stuff fun.

everyone is going to say maths, so you know, you can be a sheep or you can be a wolf...since you already ordered your phenol you're leaning more towards platypus than anything else...my useless uneducated opinion on this is to keep your eyes out for a cheap endorphin.es terminal and get some attenuverters...

like many have said before me, whatever you do, try and take your time and learn the modules as you go before buying too more.
i have always struggled with this so i stay dumb...however as fair warning, the same people who tell you to go slow will also be the ones who tell you to get A and B when you ask them if you should get A or B.

consider dc coupled vca's and mixer so that you can make complex shapes then attenuate them for nice tones...
Trebbers
Whatever you do, be sure to get (or make) a bunch more banana cables. The 10 that come with it are not nearly enough.
Faastwalker
Thanks for the replies. I've got a set of the banana to mini-jack cables in the pipeline. I also ordered an extra pack of 10 banana cables. Every source I found said the included 10 were not nearly enough. Hopefully a total of 20 will keep me going. If not I can always order some more down the track.

Another module I'm really interested in is the Expert Sleepers ES-8 so I can interface with the computer & use this for a degree of control. Cheating a bit I guess? But this idea facilitates my desire to keep things sensible with the amount of modules I want / need + I'm fascinated with the idea of interfacing everything together & making the best of both environments wink
chvad
The only thing I ever want in that little white box in addition to what's already there is a slew. Grab that and whatever else anyone says... but DEF GET A DAMN SLEW.
Faastwalker
chvad wrote:
The only thing I ever want in that little white box in addition to what's already there is a slew. Grab that and whatever else anyone says... but DEF GET A DAMN SLEW.

I barely know what a slew is or is used for at this point in time! confused But I see this pop up a lot along with other commonly used modular components. I guess I need one but don't quite know why at this point! Does the Maths module do slew?!
dp
The Phenol is cool and all that, but I found the Banana > 3.5mm a massive pain in the butt when integrating with Eurorack, I got the banana to 3.5 kit but 4 cables is not enough, be prepared to buy or make quite a few more of them. I found it annoying that i couldn't just plug one thing into another and it broke my train of thought when thinking how I was going to connect things. My advice is If you are thinking about building a euro rig then just get a Mother32 or O-coast, Or just sell it when you're further down the line.
chvad
Faastwalker wrote:
chvad wrote:

I barely know what a slew is or is used for at this point in time! confused But I see this pop up a lot along with other commonly used modular components. I guess I need one but don't quite know why at this point! Does the Maths module do slew?!

indeed it does and quite well!
chvad
dp wrote:
The Phenol is cool and all that, but I found the Banana > 3.5mm a massive pain in the butt when integrating with Eurorack, I got the banana to 3.5 kit but 4 cables is not enough, be prepared to buy or make quite a few more of them. I found it annoying that i couldn't just plug one thing into another and it broke my train of thought when thinking how I was going to connect things. My advice is If you are thinking about building a euro rig then just get a Mother32 or O-coast, Or just sell it when you're further down the line.

special cables be damned... grab this box, it's a super easy work flow:
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/low-gain-electronics-utl-1.html
Faastwalker
chvad wrote:
special cables be damned... grab this box, it's a super easy work flow:
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/low-gain-electronics-utl-1.html

I think I've seen one of those used in a Phenol / Euro Rack demo video. Looks like a good option. It's a shame the Kilpatrick banana to mini-jack pack only contains 4 cables (plus the grounding cable) for $39. Seems a bit steep for what you get.
Faastwalker
...... Still waiting on the Phenol! It's taking a while via the Aus distributor as they've had to get it in from Kilpatrick. Hopefully soon .......... then I can start seriously sizing up some modules to go with it, which may or may not necessarily be a good thing!! eek!
Faastwalker
Got the Phenol. Having some fun with this thing. Plenty going on to keep me going, exploring & learning some stuff before I look at anything else. But going forward I'll probably think about one of these;

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/hek.php

...... with a few choice modules to compliment what the Phenol has on board. I have a desktop 19" rack with some spare space. So the Happy Ending makes sense to add to the Phenol without subtracting from my bank account too much!
wechard
I'm a bit surprised that no-one has suggested getting some Kilpatrick format modules to go with the Phenol. That's what I did -- started with one of his enclosures and gradually filled it with the Entropy Sequencer, Voltage Processor, Envelope Modulator, and Dynamic Filter. This stuff isn't cheap, but it was a very convenient way to add to the Phenol without jumping out of the format.

In the end, I also added a row of Euro Rack and a Microbrute, which also plays nicely with all the Kilpatrick stuff
blakeq
wechard wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that no-one has suggested getting some Kilpatrick format modules to go with the Phenol. That's what I did -- started with one of his enclosures and gradually filled it with the Entropy Sequencer, Voltage Processor, Envelope Modulator, and Dynamic Filter. This stuff isn't cheap, but it was a very convenient way to add to the Phenol without jumping out of the format.

In the end, I also added a row of Euro Rack and a Microbrute, which also plays nicely with all the Kilpatrick stuff

Nice how do those compare to the kilpatrick eurorack modules?
wechard
Quote:
Nice how do those compare to the kilpatrick eurorack modules?

Couldn't say for sure -- once I started adding Eurorack it was because I already had a fair bit of Kilpatrick, so I haven't tried his Euro. But I can say that compared to Euro in general, as a format, Kilpatrick is really nice in the usual ways that go along with bananas and slightly larger panels.
Faastwalker
wechard wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that no-one has suggested getting some Kilpatrick format modules to go with the Phenol.

Andrew Kilpatrick suggested this to me when I asked about recommendations for modules to compliment the Phenol. The System 1 looks very interesting, although this stuff is very pricey. Does it also use banana cables? I wonder if you can buy the System 1 type, 19" rack mount enclosure & add modules to this. That could be an option.

http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=kformat

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1