MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Broken Banana !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Broken Banana !
josaka
Dead Banana thought I would ask here as there are the most bananers..

I have a fenix modular.. with some bananas snapped off inside holes!!

how do you get the little fukkrz out..? Dead Banana
Reese P. Dubin
Those must have been some seriously shitty cables

its gonna be tough considering the whole point is that they expand and grip inside the jack.

extremely pointy needle nose pliers i guess
dkcg
I have no idea what it looks like behind the panel, but maybe there's enough space to push them out from behind the panel?
Nejrup
Tried that on a folding Buchla system d'oh! I think I got it out with a small plier or maybe an SMD tweezer
rayce
worst case just remove the banana jack and replace it.
KSS
Baking soda, superglue and toothpicks.

break toothpick in half and dip broken end in baking soda.

tap baking soda laden end on broken part, leaving small bit of powder on break.

Break 2nd toothpick in half, and dip broken end in superglue or drip appropriate amount on broken end. Do not put super glue on baking soda.

Using superglue wet end touch to baking soda pile on broken nana. Breathe onto joint. The moisture in your breath will activate and harden the superglue soda.

Remove broken part with handle just attached.

Alternately, a sharp! sewing needle should work to get the broken nana out using leverage. Maybe two sharp sewing needles. Straight pins won't be hard enough to penetrate and stick in the nana.
KSS
Gluing a toothpick handle on with other glue could also work. 5 minute epoxy or JBweld, for example. Problem is time to dry and possible flow into parts not intended, leading to the replace jack solution above.
KSS
A third method, and probably the first I would try is to bend a short J-hook into the end of a common straight pin. You should be able to fit this into the jack hole and get between the peels and the banana skin. Then just pull it out.
pelican
Get some circlip ring pliers, they can open the opposite way... or an angled dental pick-they make some straight ones with a 90 degree lip on the end-perfect
the bad producer
Crochet hook works too if you can grab the springy bit
josaka
thanks guys going to try techniques these next few days..

..the plugs were ones that came from synton.. directly.. smile
rvbeers
KSS wrote:
Baking soda, superglue and toothpicks.

break toothpick in half and dip broken end in baking soda.

tap baking soda laden end on broken part, leaving small bit of powder on break.

Break 2nd toothpick in half, and dip broken end in superglue or drip appropriate amount on broken end. Do not put super glue on baking soda.

Using superglue wet end touch to baking soda pile on broken nana. Breathe onto joint. The moisture in your breath will activate and harden the superglue soda.

Remove broken part with handle just attached.

Alternately, a sharp! sewing needle should work to get the broken nana out using leverage. Maybe two sharp sewing needles. Straight pins won't be hard enough to penetrate and stick in the nana.

+1 for using chemistry on a mechanical part, in an analogue system.
DomMorley
It's f*cked mate, but don't worry - I'll take it off your hands... hihi
papz
As suggested above, why not replace the banana socket with a new one ?
These cost a few cents only at Mouser.
KSS
papz wrote:
As suggested above, why not replace the banana socket with a new one ?
These cost a few cents only at Mouser.

I doubt the cost is a factor in the OP dilemma. And with shipping and time it's quite a bit more than a few cents. it can seem strange for us who DIY to remember that others do not have either the skills or inclination to do self repair. It seems so easy to us.

But it's not us. It's them, and the simple reality of asking here says that a mechanical change of jack is outside the OPs comfort, skill, or desire. You are clearly an expert in both music and hardware and it shows. OP may be an expert musician too.

I'd bet if it were yours you wouldn't replace the jack. I wouldn't either. We would get the broken bit out in short order and continue whatever we were doing. But OP is not us.

Message here is not only for your comment here. It is meant to stand up for the people who are different than you and me. Nothing personal to you at all. Your reply is really a reminder to me also. What's easy for me is not easy for someone else.
dkcg
josaka wrote:
thanks guys going to try techniques these next few days..

..the plugs were ones that came from synton.. directly.. smile

Sounds like the cables are SO compatible with the system that they don't wanna come out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1