MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Technics SX-WSA1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Technics SX-WSA1
TS
This synth flew under my radar for a very long time. I scored one recently, just after learning about them, and finally have had time to program it. My reason for getting it is for creating unique textures, atmospherics, and pads. It does those quite easily and programming is fast. Below is a link to something I have made with it and I would love to hear what wigglers have made.

https://soundcloud.com/mindspring-music/mindspring-technics-sx-wsa1-ex p-3
TS
Embed code and Soundcloud button are both not working for me.
PISS.EXE
Congrats on getting one. I've been wanting one for a long time but they always seem to sell for $$$$$$
TS
PISS.EXE wrote:
Congrats on getting one. I've been wanting one for a long time but they always seem to sell for $$$$$$


Thanks. I got mine for $430 plus shipping and a week later another popped up for a buy it now of $500.
PISS.EXE
TS wrote:
PISS.EXE wrote:
Congrats on getting one. I've been wanting one for a long time but they always seem to sell for $$$$$$


Thanks. I got mine for $430 plus shipping and a week later another popped up for a buy it now of $500.


I'd definitely pay 500 for one, dang. I've seen them go for up to 1k unless i am confusing it with a different Technics synth...
rowsbywoof
Great deal on that. Yeah, I've definitely seen them at much higher than $430/500. Cool synth, for sure. Lot of potential if you put the effort in. The demo above sounds great.
Votek_Mendo
I have one but i did not had the time to play much with it yet.
drox
very nice textures
TS
Thanks, it is fun to tweak. It definitely seems the rack versions have been a bit higher. There is one on reverb for a ridiculous price.
TS
PISS.EXE wrote:
TS wrote:
PISS.EXE wrote:
Congrats on getting one. I've been wanting one for a long time but they always seem to sell for $$$$$$


Thanks. I got mine for $430 plus shipping and a week later another popped up for a buy it now of $500.


I'd definitely pay 500 for one, dang. I've seen them go for up to 1k unless i am confusing it with a different Technics synth...


I hope you buy the one I linked you to. I created another patch and uploaded some audio. The way this thing moves over time is fantastic. Evolving sounds are my favorite to make. Anyone else have one and use it in a similar fashion? I would love to share ideas smile Here is a link to my latest experiment:

https://soundcloud.com/mindspring-music/mindspring-technics-sx-wsa1-ex p-4

I added delay, reverb, eq, and comp/limiting.
Votek_Mendo
As soon as i have my studio done with everything connected preperly i will start messing with it again and we can have this discussion going.

My first tought on it was that it was a bit cold.
I like the sounds you got out of it. Especially #3

HOw much external effects are you using to make it sound like that?
PISS.EXE
I still hope i end up getting one. Saw i recently missed a rack unit at a really nice price..... argh!! No more room for keyboard here hihi Luckily, it sounds to my ears that the K5000 and WSA1 generate very similar kinds of sounds, I wonder how much there is one synth can do the other can't.
TS
Votek_Mendo wrote:
As soon as i have my studio done with everything connected preperly i will start messing with it again and we can have this discussion going.

My first tought on it was that it was a bit cold.
I like the sounds you got out of it. Especially #3

HOw much external effects are you using to make it sound like that?


They both were ran through a long reverb, with parallel compression and limiting. #4 has a ping pong delay as well. VST FX.
TS
PISS.EXE wrote:
I still hope i end up getting one. Saw i recently missed a rack unit at a really nice price..... argh!! No more room for keyboard here hihi Luckily, it sounds to my ears that the K5000 and WSA1 generate very similar kinds of sounds, I wonder how much there is one synth can do the other can't.


K5000 is a much deeper synth, for sure. I am thinking there is a good bit of overlap. I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. But I hope to dive into it soon - the k5000.
peripatitis
The kawai is a far superior instrument imo, no comparison really.
The only thing the wsa1 had was the percussions stuff where it could get interesting. But at the time Tassman was out (i think version 3 not even 4) and i sold the technics with no regrets since..

The Kawai on the other hand is a beauty, even now where its limitations are apparent mostly because of that great keybed...

i've seen wsa1's go for 350eu which is tempting but i am always afraid i will end up selling it again for the same reasons..
TS
peripatitis wrote:
The kawai is a far superior instrument imo, no comparison really.
The only thing the wsa1 had was the percussions stuff where it could get interesting. But at the time Tassman was out (i think version 3 not even 4) and i sold the technics with no regrets since..

The Kawai on the other hand is a beauty, even now where its limitations are apparent mostly because of that great keybed...

i've seen wsa1's go for 350eu which is tempting but i am always afraid i will end up selling it again for the same reasons..


My Kawai has been in the shop for repairs since just after I got it, so I haven't been able to spend time with it. I only got a couple of days with it. I wasn't really able to get the kind of motion out of it that I wanted, yet. Mine is the 'S" version.

The one thing the technics has over the Kawai is how quickly and easily you can create a patch like the ones I've posted. At least for me. The Kawai will take me longer to wrap my head around. The samples in the WSA1 will lend it some unique sounds, too. I'm glad to have them both.
peripatitis
TS wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
The kawai is a far superior instrument imo, no comparison really.
The only thing the wsa1 had was the percussions stuff where it could get interesting. But at the time Tassman was out (i think version 3 not even 4) and i sold the technics with no regrets since..

The Kawai on the other hand is a beauty, even now where its limitations are apparent mostly because of that great keybed...

i've seen wsa1's go for 350eu which is tempting but i am always afraid i will end up selling it again for the same reasons..


My Kawai has been in the shop for repairs since just after I got it, so I haven't been able to spend time with it. I only got a couple of days with it. I wasn't really able to get the kind of motion out of it that I wanted, yet. Mine is the 'S" version.

The one thing the technics has over the Kawai is how quickly and easily you can create a patch like the ones I've posted. At least for me. The Kawai will take me longer to wrap my head around. The samples in the WSA1 will lend it some unique sounds, too. I'm glad to have them both.


the s version is imo the best one. Programming the kawai is tedious and probably best done with an external editor but the knobs help a lot. One trick i used when programming from the synth itself was coping spectra from other sounds and use that as a starting point.
joey
the kawai is a nightmare to program but if you really give it some time it can just sound incredible. liquid morphing spectra
supersuper
Love the synth but this guy has fun with it the way most people wouldn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqbj_WKGqvg
TS
joey wrote:
the kawai is a nightmare to program but if you really give it some time it can just sound incredible. liquid morphing spectra


For sure. I have heard some amazing patches, I just need to get my head around how to achieve them. Moving/morphing is definitely what I am after.

supersuper wrote:
Love the synth but this guy has fun with it the way most people wouldn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqbj_WKGqvg


Yeah, I have heard this one. It is not what I would do with it, but it sounds really nice!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group