MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Project] SoundForce 808 Kick & 808 Snare PCB+panel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author [Project] SoundForce 808 Kick & 808 Snare PCB+panel
soundforce
Dear wigglers,

I laid out both the 808 Kick & Snare in nice and compact builds for Eurorack (the main PCB is also usable in other formats). I've done the Kick and Snare so far. The builds are easy, suitable for beginners. Here are some pictures below but you can see the modules from a bit closer on my website: http://sound-force.nl/

Features:
- Obviously "boom" and "tchak"
- 8HP
- Power consumption : "coming" (need to take measurements this weekend)
- Both modules require no "panel wiring/soldering" thanks to the neat 2 PCB system and a perfect-fit cable
- Kick is 39mm deep
- Snare is 43mm deep
- Easy build even for beginners, all through-hole parts

808 Snare:

808 Kick:

Demo with cam sound (the kick tune is not obvious in this recording):

Documentation:
- Kick BOM
- Snare BOM
- Building guide
- Snare silkscreen High-res
- Snare Schematics
- Kick silkscreen High-res
- Kick Schematics

Pricing:
Main PCB + IO PCB + cable = 30 euro incl VAT (24.80 euro outside the EU)

Main PCB only = 15 euro incl VAT (12.40 euro outside the EU)

PLEASE NOTE: That the first KICK front panels are wood, it is top notch hardwood and not plywood. The SNARE front panels are 2mm PCB material (ala Blue lantern, MFB, Oscillosaurus, etc.)

Shipping:
3 euro anywhere in the world (bubble envelope without tracking)

More info, check http://sound-force.nl/
rithma
That is a very cool project Mr. Soundforce!
unrecordings
Nice !
Do you have the redrawn schematic as well ?
It looks like they'll work on +/-15V - any substitutions that I might need to make ?
tIB
Nice! Any chance of getting a PCB only on the snare for use in a different format?
unrecordings
That would be my preference too - main pcb only (as I'd wire the hardware to the panel)
soundforce
unrecordings wrote:
Nice !
Do you have the redrawn schematic as well ?
It looks like they'll work on +/-15V - any substitutions that I might need to make ?

I added the schematics in the documentation section. This circuit is also working with 15V, make sure that your parts (usually talking about capacitors) are rated at least for 50V.
soundforce
tIB wrote:
Nice! Any chance of getting a PCB only on the snare for use in a different format?

Good idea, I created a new item in the webshop on my website for the Main PCB only.
tIB
soundforce wrote:
tIB wrote:

Good idea, I created a new item in the webshop on my website for the Main PCB only.

Fantastic - ordered!
ppccdd
Cool stuff, just ordered both! w00t
unrecordings
Both ordered (PCB only)
Will report back on how the 5U build works out
soundforce
unrecordings wrote:
Both ordered (PCB only)
Will report back on how the 5U build works out

Please do, I'd love to hear how it came out.

Orders received guys!
euromorcego
thumbs up

will you also do the hats?
daynehacks
Very nice! will order some when I get some other projects cleared off my bench!
soundforce
euromorcego wrote:
thumbs up

will you also do the hats?

Maybe you saw in the video, I did the hats for my own modular smile but the PCB is laid out for a CNC PCB router, it's not ready to go for the factory. The hats are quite much more complicated, but I might get to it if there is enough interest for those first modules.
ppccdd
yes yes! do hats also!
soundforce
Guys, the first batch is shipped! Let me know when you get it and if you have any questions or comments regarding the build and the documentation.
unrecordings
Well I built mine - all working fine on +/-15V

I also modded the bass drum with a switch to extend the decay (and to compensate for using a 470K pot)
tIB
My snare arrived safe and sound while muffs was down. It's on the pile...

w00t
soundforce
Thank you for the feedback guys! There were mistakes in the BOM pointed out by a customer, I fixed. I built another 2 for myself and to test the new batch of PCBs I mixed film and ceramic caps with still the same sound quality.
gnobs
What were the BOM changes? I've built the kick but seems low on the output level.
truman_k
I would like to see an accent input too ... would you consider adding one ?
unrecordings
From what I understand of the schematic, the accent circuitry is already there. On the 808 schematics I have, the accent comes into Q1 (which is currently tied to the positive rail). Of course I could be completely wrong...
soundforce
gnobs wrote:
What were the BOM changes? I've built the kick but seems low on the output level.

The changes were only mistakes, as in same values were simply not listed and there were a few typos. The circuits itself has not changed.

Do you have a scope to measure the amplitude of the output signal ? You should get a little be under 10V peak to peak.
soundforce
truman_k wrote:
I would like to see an accent input too ... would you consider adding one ?

unrecordings wrote:
From what I understand of the schematic, the accent circuitry is already there. On the 808 schematics I have, the accent comes into Q1 (which is currently tied to the positive rail). Of course I could be completely wrong...

You are right, I choose to tie the accent to +12V. I could offer that option in the future using a jumper to choose between +12V and a jack input.
toneburst
Coming to this party a little late, but in the YouTube demo video, the Kick sounds a lot more like a 909 that an 808 (at least the 808s I've heard, anyway).

It sounds great, but not like an 808, kick, to my ears, at least.

Not having Accent on either module seems like a strange omission.

Panels look nice though. I'm always in two minds about wooden panels, but this one looks nice.

a|x
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2