MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PB rev2.3 self oscillate?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author PB rev2.3 self oscillate?
nuttymad
Just got my PB and I'm having trouble getting it to self oscillate. I followed the directions from the manual but nothing is happening, no "moaning/howling or screaming."

I also read that you can use it as a noise generator but the output is so low when I try this trick that it's pretty much useless.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
flight
nuttymad wrote:
Just got my PB and I'm having trouble getting it to self oscillate. I followed the directions from the manual but nothing is happening, no "moaning/howling or screaming."

I also read that you can use it as a noise generator but the output is so low when I try this trick that it's pretty much useless.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

The self-osc is rather random on the old r2.3 Plague Bearers: some do, some don't. It wasn't an actual feature until the r3.0.

The noise output is really low (again, especially on the pre-r3.x models), but can be run through an amplifier. The Plague Bearers were originally designed to be used in pairs (or more) so, when using one as a noise source, it would normally be the first in the chain and the next would boost the noise level as well as modify it.

Both the self-osc and noise level can be boosted with a simple resistor swap if you're comfortable with working on surface-mount components.
nuttymad
Thanks for the reply, Flight.

After spending you few hours with it last night I finally got it to self oscillate. The knob positions were not as described in the manual though.

I dig the PB and will more than likely be getting a second soon.
Kent
Oh, cool! Can this be done on my whatever-revision-# Dual PB that you sold me a while back? Can CV for Gain be added to this version?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1