PB rev2.3 self oscillate?

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

PB rev2.3 self oscillate?

Post by nuttymad » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 am

Just got my PB and I'm having trouble getting it to self oscillate. I followed the directions from the manual but nothing is happening, no "moaning/howling or screaming."

I also read that you can use it as a noise generator but the output is so low when I try this trick that it's pretty much useless.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

flight
The Plague Bearer

Re: PB rev2.3 self oscillate?

Post by flight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm

nuttymad wrote:Just got my PB and I'm having trouble getting it to self oscillate. I followed the directions from the manual but nothing is happening, no "moaning/howling or screaming."

I also read that you can use it as a noise generator but the output is so low when I try this trick that it's pretty much useless.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
The self-osc is rather random on the old r2.3 Plague Bearers: some do, some don't. It wasn't an actual feature until the r3.0.

The noise output is really low (again, especially on the pre-r3.x models), but can be run through an amplifier. The Plague Bearers were originally designed to be used in pairs (or more) so, when using one as a noise source, it would normally be the first in the chain and the next would boost the noise level as well as modify it.

Both the self-osc and noise level can be boosted with a simple resistor swap if you're comfortable with working on surface-mount components.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuttymad » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, Flight.

After spending you few hours with it last night I finally got it to self oscillate. The knob positions were not as described in the manual though.

I dig the PB and will more than likely be getting a second soon.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Oh, cool! Can this be done on my whatever-revision-# Dual PB that you sold me a while back? Can CV for Gain be added to this version?

Return to “Flight of Harmony”