MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

High quality compact mixer advice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author High quality compact mixer advice
Diamat
Hello,

I wonder what mixing boards are there with no more than 8 channels, pristine, with good headroom, no effects nor USB or audio interface whatsoever... Maybe I need one mic pre or even none... compact, not crazily expensive?

Thanks!
milkshake
Behringer has lots of mixers that perfectly fit your criteria.

Feel free to spend more money.
Diamat
Behringer does not meet the criteria of high quality nor pristine nor good headroom.
milkshake
Diamat wrote:
Behringer does not meet the criteria of high quality nor pristine nor good headroom.

Only to people who haven't done any double blind listening tests.

Feel free to spend more money.
Richie Witch
Mackie, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft are typical brands for these kinds of mixers. Choosing among them comes down to feature sets: number of aux buses, inserts, direct outs, etc.

Have you thought about your workflow in terms of what kind of mixer routing would help? The criteria you've given so far would be common to any good quality mixer.
Rooftree
Diamat wrote:
Hello,

I wonder what mixing boards are there with no more than 8 channels, pristine, with good headroom, no effects nor USB or audio interface whatsoever... Maybe I need one mic pre or even none... compact, not crazily expensive?

Thanks!

You've just described some of the specs for the mixer I'm developing. The final prototype will be tested today. If it works as planned I'll unveil it at Knobcon this weekend.

-Mike
mateo
Mackie's probably your best bet: the small soundcraft mixers all have USB and/or effects, and the Zed series are a bit bulky.

EDIT: forgot about the soundcraft EPMs, they should do the trick as well.
thevegasnerve
this question comes up a lot. No easy answers it seems. Most people still end up with Mackie or Behringer. I have heard people talk about older mixers like the Tapcos, I have thought about trying one. Myself I use a Mackie Onyx 820i but the pres are nothing special and the eq is limited, but can be helpful. The headroom is fine, much of that really comes down to what kind of signal you put in and/or if you use 24 vs. 16bit etc...
Richie Witch
thevegasnerve wrote:
this question comes up a lot. No easy answers it seems. Most people still end up with Mackie or Behringer. I have heard people talk about older mixers like the Tapcos, I have thought about trying one. Myself I use a Mackie Onyx 820i but the pres are nothing special and the eq is limited, but can be helpful. The headroom is fine, much of that really comes down to what kind of signal you put in and/or if you use 24 vs. 16bit etc...

Yeah, I currently use a Mackie Onyx 1620i, but I'm currently refurbishing/recapping a Tascam M-312B. hyper
BugBrand
SSL X-desk? Or is that above the budget.

I could sell you an old Soundcraft delta 200 that needs some refurb - you can get it modded to a high-spec (Jim Williams mods) - anyways, that's in Bristol and isn't going anywhere fast... would be happy to shift it, though it is probably too big.
PISS.EXE
MIDIMan Micromixer if you can find one. They aren't easy to come by but they are built like tanks. I have a Micromixer 18 and its sick.

Found this on google. I don't know whats good with that nail polish though
Diamat
BugBrand wrote:
SSL X-desk? Or is that above the budget.

I could sell you an old Soundcraft delta 200 that needs some refurb - you can get it modded to a high-spec (Jim Williams mods) - anyways, that's in Bristol and isn't going anywhere fast... would be happy to shift it, though it is probably too big.

Thanks so much Tom!

SSL X-desk/panda it is the ideal solution, but I'd have to save money during a long time for that. I was trying to discover if I am overlooking something more around the 1k rather than 2k...

I'd love to do the project of the Soundcraft delta 200, but as you say it is quite big and I have a very little space
Blairio
Allen & Heath have a new 8 channel mixer out: the ZED60-10FX

Also, as has been mentioned, Mackie's are a good option. My VLZ1404 has quiet preamps that can cope with modular inputs. Not so many mixers are happy doing that.
dave_samuels
Sound devices?

Speck?
peripatitis
this https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/live-sound-record ing/zoom-livetrak-l-12
might be nice, well at least judging by their last generation of recorders..
jonne74
I asked Warm Audio if they would make an eight channel mixer with input and output transformers, but they had no plans to do this.

My Teac m35 deal is probably not happening, so I got back into the Behringer lottery with an x2442.
clapclap
I'm going in the box now and am selling my Soundcraft EPM8. It did well for me and can can be had on the cheap. Legowelt uses one!
nuromantix
Soundcraft delta is decent but not "pristine".
Do you need aux sends / returns? Do you need EQ?
Futuresound
You need a Tree Audio Roots Generation II, obviously: http://treeaudio.com

But if you don't want your mixer to cost more than your car....

Finding one of these in 8 channels is even harder than 16, and I've spent a really long time looking for one in 16. nuromantix's questions about Auxes and EQs are important. Also, faders - if you don't need faders or EQs, you may have a few more options.

Other than the X-Desk you have Mackie, Soundcraft, AH, etc which are probably fine these days. I personally feel that while they don't have any obvious sonic flaws, they also don't sound 'good', but lots and lots of great music has been made on them.
rean1mator
audio interface as mixer - motu 8a works standalone. just connect it to ethernet hub/old wireless router and you can access the motu avb mixer using a phone or ipad.

works great. sounds great.

i went mixerless awhile back and now i'm running a 16a, 8a, 1248 connected to an avb hub. while i was hesitant to at first, it's by far the best decision i've made to simplify.

and you get a great audio interface and super high end dac to boot.

any of their lower end avb interfaces will do the trick too,
PISS.EXE
Oh ya, forgot my 828 mk2 has that thing to save mixing settings and recall them for live use.
smithknows
Don’t forget Toft boards.
Great quality for the money.
Eichburger
Second hand Midas Venice would be a good option for your budget.
Elephantbud
Studer A779 or revox 279
Small and simple mixers with a hughe sound...
Forget about mackie and behringer

If you are lucky you can find the studer for around 1500€, the revox for less.
The Grump
Maybe something like this?

http://www.jdkaudio.com/jdk8mx2.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2