MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noise Engineering: Manis Iteritas - Save the pangolins!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Noise Engineering: Manis Iteritas - Save the pangolins!
desolationjones
Manis Iteritas - Noise Engineering's aggressive new Basimilus Iteritas variant: 10HP, $355 - "Coming soon"

From the NE blog, Oct. 27th 2017:

Quote:
Manis is a dark, gritty, industrial oscillator that is about as gnarly as it can get. Manis was born when NE friends Anthony Baldino and Matt Lange came to us and said that they wanted an “unapologetically aggressive” version of the BIA. Challenge accepted.

We started by rethinking the functions and controls on BIA. The first step was the waveform: on BIA, the morph knob allows the user to seamlessly blend between sine, triangle, saw, and square waves. For the Manis, we decided to only keep the most harmonically rich waveform (sawtooth) and replace the morph control with a different waveform modification (Saw Mod). SawMod is a simple modulation of a sawtooth that is similar in sound to PWM and sync modulation.

Because MI is based on the same basic architecture as BIA, there would still be six oscillators, but we took this opportunity to rethink how they worked and interacted. In a nutshell, BIA uses six tonal and one noise oscillator to generate sound. There are three mode settings: skin, liquid, and metal, that change how the oscillators interact, which is how we get such cool and different sounds out of the module (for more detailed discussion, see the BIA manual).

In MI, we kept the same three modes. In Skin and Liquid modes, as in the BIA, there are six additive oscillator/envelope pairs. Metal mode differs in Manis Iteritas by having two sets of three sequentially modulated oscillators rather that one set of six. The post-oscillator processing for all three modes differs from BIA by adding low-pass filters both before and after folding.

In addition to standard NE oscillator features (everything fully CV-able, range switch, wave folder), MI also has some other new features.

CONTROLS

MI adds a low-pass filter and an AD envelope that is routable to various controls. When turned fully CW, the decay becomes infinite and the envelope no longer affects amplitude. In other words, the note will continue indefinitely, or until the module is again triggered (huge thanks to user Patrik Andersson for the suggestion!).

We also made the pitch knob an encoder: MI defaults to fine tune and each step is sub-perceptible, making it hard to knock out of tune. For coarse tuning, depress and turn the encoder.

Finally, as Profundity knob is turned CW, MI does two things. First, it adds additional, out-of-phase oscillators, giving the sound a chorus effect. It also detunes the voice by randomly modulating the sample rate, which results in the perceived pitch becoming blurry.

The result of all of these tweaks is a crazy, detuned sound that is hard to achieve elsewhere. Of course, MI is 1v/8va tunable, so you can sequence it too.

MODULES FOR CONSERVATION

Stephen is in charge of naming modules, but Kris’ background in conservation biology meant she recognized pretty quickly that Manis is also part of the scientific name for a critically endangered mammal from Asia called the pangolin.

The main threat to pangolins is illegal trafficking and poaching, and a big part of the problem is that so few people have ever heard of them. Noise Engineering is proud to be a founding business partner with the conservation organization Save Pangolins. We've committed to donate a portion of the proceeds from every MI sold to pangolin conservation. That means when you buy a Manis Iteritas, you can help pangolins too.

(post edited - removed original speculation about mystery module)
VanEck
eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes...
mgscheue
Hmm. "Manis was the trained orangutan that played Clyde as Clint Eastwood's sidekick in the 1978 box office hit Every Which Way But Loose." (Wikiipedia)

And iteritas is of course Latin for oscillator.

Hmm.... .
desolationjones
Now I'm seeing that this thing was at NAMM 2017! How have we not heard anything about it? hmmm.....
starthief
Manis might be "ghost" from Latin "manes", and are in the names of a pangolin and a kind of shark.

Looks to me from the photo like the jacks are Pitch, Bash, Damp, LPF, Smash, Env, Saw Mod, S/L/M, B/A/T, and Out.
nrg242
he also did say that he'll have a bunch of BIA for sale at knobcon.
uniquepersonno2
Oh yeah, this is the one NE custom made for Matt Lange. He talks about it a bit in this Pensado's Place interview around 27 minutes in: http://youtu.be/kiBTKWGV_kE
pitri
neeed more infooooos help
desolationjones
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Oh yeah, this is the one NE custom made for Matt Lange. He talks about it a bit in this Pensado's Place interview around 27 minutes in: http://youtu.be/kiBTKWGV_kE

He calls it "Nine Inch Nails in a box".
mdoudoroff
Sure looks like NE is getting distracted with 5U:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY0n6h_le5b/

lol
pitri
dont tell me their new module announcements are 5U very frustrating
beatcleaver
This just showed up...

mdoudoroff
SlayerBadger!

The Manis Iteritas looks like it might be what I hoped the LIP would be: the BIA’s evil sibling. I’m still not sure what to make of the LIP—it’s deep, but I may only be interested in a fairly narrow portion of its capabilities.

Integra Solum looks squarely aimed at modulating all these oscillators. I’ve been experimenting with using an A-160-2 for this.
bemushroomed
I wish there was a way to disconnect the VCA/ENV to instead let the user shape it with his own env and vca, like with for example jupiter storm.. maybe have highest setting on the env be infinite..
starthief
I was right there and didn't check it out , I was so happy to finally try BIA, Cursus and Loquelic. very frustrating

BIA sounds great and I'm almost tempted, except I have so many sound sources and don't
really do much percussion anymore, so I wouldn't be using it to the fullesst just sticking to basses and bonks. Loquelic had some sweet spots, but for my purposes, Cursus is where it's at. Rockin' Banana!
pitri
damn so the manis is more noisy than the BIA (its a bit hard to tell from the video) - i was hoping for the contrary...
Zymos
He gave me a walkthrough. It can be noisier and more brutal than BIA, but it doesn't have to be -I heard clean sounds too.
uebl
Will this be the panel's final design?
porphyrion
So, and what about the Basimilus Iteritas Magnus that's on the NE product page? Anyone heard or saw that? It has its own logo so it's not the Manis...

An expanded version of the BIA would interest me *very* much. BIA is just awesome, every control being so vital. Hard to best imo, but I'd like to be proven wrong!
czern
I believe the Magnus is the name of the 5U BI.

hoping to see a run-thru vid of the Manis features myself.
richardisabelle
This is the first demo they put out for Manis? I love Noise Engineering, but this doesn't sound promising in my opinion; unless you're into noise.
richardisabelle
czern wrote:
hoping to see a run-thru vid of the Manis features myself.

They should do that from the start.
mdoudoroff
There are product pages stubbed out for both the MI and IS; the former confirms the same price as the BIA; the latter has two useful demo videos:

https://www.noiseengineering.us/manis-iteritas

https://www.noiseengineering.us/integra-solum
Zymos
richardisabelle wrote:
This is the first demo they put out for Manis? I love Noise Engineering (have 14 of their modules), but this doesn't sound promising in my opinion; unless you're into noise.

I haven't watched the video, but I heard the module and it goes way beyond noise. That said, it does seem to focus on the harsher stuff....
interpolate
As someone currently building a drum rack, and already having the BIA, i'm curious if the Manis is meant to cover more non-BD territory.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7