MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Shtar available!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Shtar available!
mbleming
Wow, Peter's Shbobo Shtar is available for purchase. Shbobo Shtar

Shbobo

Looks really interesting...
Doublecoolbossman
Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
bartlebooth
yeah i've had a prototype for about 3 months or so..its rad!
Kalerne
It's gorgeous and extremely interesting! woah

But too bad it's also way above my budget for the next years... waah
wednesdayayay
oh boy I didn't really think I would be excited for this one (even though I get along with fish swimmingly)

but it looks much more beautiful than I anticipated

I'd love to see or hear anything you could offer up!

or details on how to incorporate new opcodes in patching

I have my eyes on the new grackler synth but I think I'm trying to hold of for the upcoming ovalsynth format stuber (I think last time I talked with peter that was at least a year away still shtar must be release!)
Repeater
bartlebooth wrote:

Had a blast playing the Shtar and paperface Serge at your place with Pat a few months ago. Thanks again for showing it.
rodrigo
Fuck me, that's exciting!
I've been amped over this since hearing bubblings about it aaages ago as my oldschool Namasitar is one of my fav Peter instruments.

It'll be a while before I can buy one, but that's jumped near the top of my list of stuff to buy...
rodrigo
bartlebooth wrote:

How does it compare to the original one?

I'm mainly thinking in terms of the electronic side of things. With the original one I used to really enjoy sweeping through the electronic tone while "riding" the contact make, using it as a kind of expressive monosynth/theremin type thing.

I don't know how the shbobo fares with smooth pitch changes that way (the audio demo from the page sounded like it had some portamento-type stuff that was really smooth).
sensanalog
Oh boy! Anyone have any demos up yet? I'm super intrigued!
bartlebooth
rodrigo wrote:
bartlebooth wrote:

I'm mainly thinking in terms of the electronic side of things. With the original one I used to really enjoy sweeping through the electronic tone while "riding" the contact make, using it as a kind of expressive monosynth/theremin type thing.

I don't know how the shbobo fares with smooth pitch changes that way (the audio demo from the page sounded like it had some portamento-type stuff that was really smooth).

the biggest difference from namastitar is that rather than just having a ringmod effect, it now has full computer music (shnth). there is a 3-way switch, middle is acoustic only (it becomes a 17ET 4-string tar), up is acoustic + computer music, down is acoustic * computer music. note that multiply is done using a real stereo analog ringmod that peter designed just for this. there is also a piezo heart which acts like bar in the shnth, and bridge which is same as namastitar. there are also 2 knobs, top and bot, which can be used as parameters in any opcode (very useful)

speaking of opcodes there are a few new ones.. finger is a representation of the fret you're on, scale is an exp converter that changes finger to 17ET, ladder is like togo for 5bit/32 fret shtar, also very useful. there's also melody and worm (still being finalized) for looping series of notes or gestures. note that all the new opcodes will work on shnth too!

its really a beautiful instrument and sounds great both acoustically and as a really unique computer music synth.
adamon
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYzw0LItDkw
windspirit
Hope to have one of these some day. Looks seriously gorgeous
wednesdayayay
just to be clear is the shnth heart essentially the same as the current shnth?

is there anyway to insert other sounds into it to access the ringmod effect?
like on the shnth there is a mic/input is that hardwired to the 'tar?

this is looking pretty sweet
rodrigo
bartlebooth wrote:
rodrigo wrote:

the biggest difference from namastitar is that rather than just having a ringmod effect, it now has full computer music (shnth). there is a 3-way switch, middle is acoustic only (it becomes a 17ET 4-string tar), up is acoustic + computer music, down is acoustic * computer music. note that multiply is done using a real stereo analog ringmod that peter designed just for this. there is also a piezo heart which acts like bar in the shnth, and bridge which is same as namastitar. there are also 2 knobs, top and bot, which can be used as parameters in any opcode (very useful)

speaking of opcodes there are a few new ones.. finger is a representation of the fret you're on, scale is an exp converter that changes finger to 17ET, ladder is like togo for 5bit/32 fret shtar, also very useful. there's also melody and worm (still being finalized) for looping series of notes or gestures. note that all the new opcodes will work on shnth too!

its really a beautiful instrument and sounds great both acoustically and as a really unique computer music synth.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I can't wait to see one further in action. Either way, the OG Namasitar is one of my favs, so this is definitely on my list of shit to get. I also look forward to seeing some more pictures of it too. The old one is amazing, but it's definitely....rustic. This looks like a much more luthier'd endeavour.
bartlebooth
wednesdayayay wrote:
just to be clear is the shnth heart essentially the same as the current shnth?

is there anyway to insert other sounds into it to access the ringmod effect?
like on the shnth there is a mic/input is that hardwired to the 'tar?

this is looking pretty sweet

yes, shtar is powered by a shnh brain, you use FISH to program it, everything works the same except some slightly different opcodes/names to make things more clear (barc and bard are heart and bridge, for example).

in general its designed so you can multiply (ringmod) the acoustic sounds by anything in Fish. There isn't a mic input per se, but there are two aux inputs for Eurorack signals; peter says you can run audio into them as well. I haven't tried that yet though
bartlebooth
rodrigo wrote:
bartlebooth wrote:
rodrigo wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I can't wait to see one further in action. Either way, the OG Namasitar is one of my favs, so this is definitely on my list of shit to get. I also look forward to seeing some more pictures of it too. The old one is amazing, but it's definitely....rustic. This looks like a much more luthier'd endeavour.

here's a picture that i have on my laptop that shows the scale of it a little better. the only real difference between this protoype and the production one is the color of the fretboard and piezo-hearts
wednesdayayay
oh wow
it looks like two cords are coming off of the bottom
is one audio and one USB
or do you get shnth on one output and acoustic on the other?

woah
bartlebooth
yeah one's audio and one's USB.
you can both acoustic and shnth sounds together with the switch up
rodrigo
Is the USB cable just to reprogram and/or charge the (presumably internal) battery?

Or does it need to be plugged in all the time?

Also, the are the 2 input jacks for euro stuff the ones next to the knobs?
bartlebooth
rodrigo wrote:
Is the USB cable just to reprogram and/or charge the (presumably internal) battery?

Or does it need to be plugged in all the time?

Also, the are the 2 input jacks for euro stuff the ones next to the knobs?

there is a battery so usb is just to charge/reprogram (though i usually leave it plugged in with a long cord)

yep they're the 2 inputs next to the knobs. with nothing plugged in the knobs act like rotary encoders; i assume if you put voltage in to the jacks it will get added/subtracted to the knob value (i don't have a euro system so hanve't tried it)
a9headbangingBABEWYN
this is really turning my head. talking my brother who plays strings to get into this, thinking of splitting it with him
The shbobo system scares me a bit though, i dont like computers.

Bartlebooth,

My question is regarding the "fish" and opcodes. Were you into the the Shbobo or Shnth before starting with the Shtar?

Also, battery? built in lithium?
Any info on this? How long does a charge last?

Would be interesting to hear what the inputs can do. If the inputs correspond to the tuning input on the IGM Keyboard this instrument is future now!

Is it simple menu diving and selecting to change the opcode (the ringmod multiplier?) If so i understand, as with the shnth?, you can its simple functions with a breeze but the difficulties come when you want to reprogram it with your own codes??? been watching those videos of workshops on the net...

Last thing...

Changing opcodes in fish, can you do this at the same time as you are playing the instrument, is there drop in sound/loading time to change the multiplier?
wednesdayayay
it sounds like the ring mod is its own circuit

you can change opcodes but it won't be in real time

I usually do my patching plugged into the computer (I enjoy the fish process of making patches so much) and all you have to do to upload is press command+y I believe.

I may end up getting another shnth V2 once I get my stuber patch and the stuber patch I found on here to a place where I like them both better

the sh'tar and the stuber are going to be an interesting combo when that time comes...
rodrigo
Actually this is a bit tangential, and I'm sure there's another thread for this somewhere, but is there a repository of contemporary Shnth patches? I've not Fish'd in years now actually, and still have the last batch of patches I used on there.

I guess getting a Shtar would kind of spark some new ideas on that front.
wednesdayayay
I started a thread over on the lines forum about shbobo patches but I think the old shbobo forum got kind of overrun by chubs

I would be happy to submit to a repository of shbobo patches
bartlebooth
a9headbangingBABEWYN wrote:
this is really turning my head. talking my brother who plays strings to get into this, thinking of splitting it with him
The shbobo system scares me a bit though, i dont like computers.

Bartlebooth,

My question is regarding the "fish" and opcodes. Were you into the the Shbobo or Shnth before starting with the Shtar?

Also, battery? built in lithium?
Any info on this? How long does a charge last?

Would be interesting to hear what the inputs can do. If the inputs correspond to the tuning input on the IGM Keyboard this instrument is future now!

Is it simple menu diving and selecting to change the opcode (the ringmod multiplier?) If so i understand, as with the shnth?, you can its simple functions with a breeze but the difficulties come when you want to reprogram it with your own codes??? been watching those videos of workshops on the net...

Last thing...

Changing opcodes in fish, can you do this at the same time as you are playing the instrument, is there drop in sound/loading time to change the multiplier?

battery is the same as in shnth, a 3pack of varta rechargeable NiMH. its okay for a short session of playing but for anything longer (and certainly for a gig) just get a long usb cable and charger, you have to have an audio cord plugged in anyway..

patching is the same as in the videos..its the same program (Fish) with a slightly refreshed interface and some new opcodes. if you reprogram while playing there will be a momentary pause while it reflashes the memory. however you can use the jump opcode to jump between patches (triggered by a certain fret) and then it will be seamless. that's what i'd recommend anyway
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2