MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clean and tidy, does it produce better music?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Clean and tidy, does it produce better music?
felixer
how did we get from ideas to mastering? that's a long way out.
a lot of mastering is bullshit. adding/substracting 1 dB is bullshit as the system the customers will listen at are all very different. it might sound great at the studio but that doesn't mean anything.
i've seen it with clients who always get a good rough mix after the recording sessions and some complain it all sounds like shit. but then someone comes along who says:'but everything sounds like shit at your place'. well, thank you very much. and if asked what kind of hifi they have they become evasive ...
so even musicians often have a bad soundsystem at home. i know it was like that for me as i spend my money on instruments and not on hifi gear. but then again i didn't complain! Mr. Green
boxxgrooved
Great topic. Quantum theory suggests that existence itself with nature's perfect mathematical laws sprouts from total chaos.

The Buddhists hold that the beautiful Lotus flower that grows out of the murky swamps is a symbol for man's eternal goal.

I think creativity can certainly come from a messy studio. But I also believe that tidyness is next to Godliness. Oscillating between these two is the 'middle way'. Nothing is absolute
slumberjack
timoka wrote:
the real important part is the cut

to get that right i let only cut at d&m. mastering i prefer to be done by people i know tbh.

so back on topic now.

how about posting some messy studio pix? i'll start with that tomorrow after i cleaned up and after i threw all those empty pizza boxes out. hihi
boxxgrooved
slumberjack wrote:
i'll start with that tomorrow after i cleaned up and after i threw all those empty pizza boxes out. hihi

I heard empty pizza boxes placed in the corners of the room are great for diffusing standing waves. If you turn them inside out the irregularities of the pizza residue helps immensely
slumberjack
boxxgrooved wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
i'll start with that tomorrow after i cleaned up and after i threw all those empty pizza boxes out. hihi

I heard empty pizza boxes placed in the corners of the room are great for diffusing standing waves. If you turn them inside out the irregularities of the pizza residue helps immensely

you made my day! you name says it, you must be a master of boxxes.
Panason
Styrofoam take-away boxes piled on top of the pizza boxes are even better. The heavy oils in the leftover sauce give a full fat sound!
felixer
this is the fallacy of eggcartons. anything that breaks up the regularity of the room will do a decent job of killing standing waves. but if you want to look at pizzaboxes all the time, be my guest
slumberjack
boxxgrooved
slumberjack wrote:

Yes I cut grooves in boxes put knobs on them and pretend to make music hihi
matthewjuran
Being well fed might have more effect than surroundings. I think personal struggles can help make good and having a sorted place is one to do.
biscuitdough
boxxgrooved wrote:
slumberjack wrote:

Yes I cut grooves in boxes put knobs on them and pretend to make music hihi

Ah yes, the famous "groovebox". At least the pads don't wear out on yours.
mousegarden
felixer wrote:
this is the fallacy of eggcartons. anything that breaks up the regularity of the room will do a decent job of killing standing waves. but if you want to look at pizzaboxes all the time, be my guest

Leave the pizza's in the boxes, they'll soak up lower frequencies, especially the stuffed crust ones, may get a bit smelly after awhile though.
locust_locust
I try to keep things as neat as I can but studio entropy is a real thing, at least in my studio.

I'm reminded about this quote:

"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work." Gustave Flaubert

(The only reason I know this is it was quoted in 'The Real Frank Zappa Book'.)
jmax313
Fastus wrote:
Think of the studio as I would a kitchen - when I make something, there's going to be a mess... but I don't want it obstructed by a prior mess.

BUT I need to clean up, I go insane if my place is messy after creating.
felixer
you start from where you are.
Panason
Virtual tidying up is good ....

I recently created a folder on my Mac, named it MANUALS, threw in all the manuals for all the gear and software that I have, and added a shortcut to it in the Finder's sidebar....

Now there is no excuse to not RTFM!
mousegarden
locust_locust wrote:
"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work." Gustave Flaubert

That is so true, spot on.
Idunno
I was reading a thread somewhere on how to relax when playing an instrument with many folks saying that they play their best performances when they are most relaxed. Then someone popped up and said the opposite, that he played his best and most inspired and urgent stuff when he is sitting uncomfortably on the edge of an uncomfortable chair in the most uncomfortable of positions.

I somewhat go along with that. If it's an instrument I'm less familiar with then it helps to be relaxed and comfortable, but if it's guitar (my main instrument) I don't wanna get too comfortable as I'm liable to play boringly.

I can't say that whether my house/studio is tidy or not makes any difference though. If it's too messy then that might restrict me somewhat.
lisa
My apartment is really messy. Not unclean but cluttered. Ten times worse since I became a parent. The two year old seems to live for cluttering.. any free floor space is to be covered in junk.

My rack table is very uncluttered though. My Eurorack, a drum machine (I rotate them every 3-5 weeks), a mixer, cables, a lava lamp and nothing else.
synthpriest
felixer wrote:
you start from where you are.

makes sense! Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4