MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Harvestman build quality
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author The Harvestman build quality
loorenz
Hi,

Just want to speak about my experience with The Harvestman modules.
I have a few Harvestman modules that I like to work with :DOUBLE ANDORE MKII, HERTZ DONUT MKII, STILLSON HAMMER MKII and PISTON HONDA MKII.

I would like to try MALGORITHM MKII, but when I received it, it has a problem out of the box : second channel didn't output any sound !
So I return it asap to the store that refunded me because the module was out of stock at this time… I never order another one.
I have bought many eurorack modules, but I have to say that it's only module that wasn't working as it should out of the box.

My recent experience make me ask some question about built quality : as i was playing with Piston Honda mk2, I try to use the FM input (thing I haven't done since I own it !) and I realize that this input doesn't work (1v/o and CV are working)

So I unmount the module and decide to send it back to the store for the guaranty (it's 7 months old).
But before sending it, I look at the back of the module and compare to a picture from internet to see if there's something wrong.

What a surprise, I see a missing part !
I don't known if it has something to do with the faulty FM input, but I was very disappointed.

Now I have to work without it and wait weeks so that to item is back in the store, then send to Harvestman, and then goes back repaired to to store.

Honestly sorry to say that for such priced modules, I would like a better quality.
And for the fun, I have received the DOUBLE ANDORE with a missing knob…

Sincerely, I will ask me questions if I have to bought another Harvestman module now… confused

--------
I have attached pictures of the back of my PH MK2 and the picture from internet so that you see the missing part.

PS : please add mounting screws in the box and upload up to date user manuals corresponding to the latest fw on the website (for stillson hammer for example)
Robscorch
Where did you buy these from like this? This probably should be the more important question. ARE you sure these were "new" as the seller said claims. Now as far as a channel not working or what not these things happen and specially with new modules they are fairly promptly repaired or replaced under warranty.

AS far as missing components specially capacitors it may just be a pic and place failure or an revision in which it may have been removed/deleted. Doesn't look to be the case here, but as far as filtering capacitors change quite a bit in a design cycle and even omitted in some cases where the filtering has little to no effect etc. etc. etc.
sackley
support@industrialmusicelectronics.com

I've not contacted Gov'r directly, but I've heard generally good things in other threads here. I respect small operations like HM/IME, and understand why it can take time to get back to people and messages. In return you get personalized service.

I haven't had issues, personally. Good luck.
loorenz
Robscorch wrote:
Where did you buy these from like this? This probably should be the more important question. ARE you sure these were "new" as the seller said claims. Now as far as a channel not working or what not these things happen and specially with new modules they are fairly promptly repaired or replaced under warranty.

I bought both the module new in a store in Germany.
The store is Musicstore.de.
I have bought a bunch of modular gear in this shop and never had problem, only with those Harvestman modules

For the first module, Malgorithm, I send the module back one day after I received it and they want to replace it, but as they were out of stock, they ask me if I want to wait a restock to send me a new one or if I want my money back.
I finally decide to ask refund and to buy a WMD Geiger counter instead.

For Piston Honda MK2, that I bought in the same store, that different because I discover the FM input issue 6 months after I received it.
I was using this module without FM'ed it, I use it mainly with external sound sources.
So when decide to go deeper to see why the FM doesn't work, I discover the missing electronic part. I have looked for this part in the case where the module was installed since I have it, and in the box too… but I have found nothing !

Actually the module is arrived in the shop and they should send it to the Harvestman support to see if they can repair the module or if they have to send me ne one. I will let you known as soon I will have some news.

For the missing part, I ask a friend of mine to take a picture of his recent PH and send me the picture, and the capacitor is here on his module.

sackley wrote:

support@industrialmusicelectronics.com
I've not contacted Gov'r directly, but I've heard generally good things in other threads here.

I will send them a message to see what they say about that.
ether
I vaguely remember there was a firmware bug on the Piston that stopped FM working, though my memory could be wrong.

Either way I'd check first you have the latest firmware installed.
loorenz
Yes, it was the latest FW, when the module boots, the FW version is written on the screen during a few seconds, it's 2.52
governor blacksnake
The missing capacitor (and traces) are shipping damage and is certainly the cause of your fm problem. Get the store to swap a working one for you. If they can't help you, we can help you get the module working again.
mt3
FYI: Malgorithm mk ][ only outputs a signal out the 2nd (Right) channel if a stereo input is present, otherwise the 2nd channel silent.
dropthedyle
mt3 wrote:
FYI: Malgorithm mk ][ only outputs a signal out the 2nd (Right) channel if a stereo input is present, otherwise the 2nd channel silent.

with the old firmware there was normalization, no ? (with some phase displacement of the right output if i remember)
loorenz
mt3 wrote:

I have tried all the configations, with mono, dual mono, stereo input signal, the second channel doesn't output any sound.
mt3
dropthedyle wrote:
mt3 wrote:

with the old firmware there was normalization, no ? (with some phase displacement of the right output if i remember)

Thanks for pointing this out.
The manual says "Stereo audio input: a mono signal patched to L will be normalled to R".
I was about to praise the decision not to output a stereo signal for a mono input (phase, gain, etc issues) but looks like this wasn't intentional?
Unsure which firmware I have. Will update soon.
loorenz
Some news about my Piston Honda mk2 issue…

Amanda from Harvestman, has answer my email and she advise to send back to the shop where it was purchased as it seems like possible damage in shipping.
And in the case the shop are unable to help to my satisfaction, they can set up an RMA for me.

So as the module is still under guaranty I have sent it back to musicstore, with their own RMA and authorisation.
The module arrived in Germany about 4 weeks ago, they have tested it and confirm that there's a problem and that they will send it for repair.

15 days after I ask Musicstore if the module is sent for repair, they answer that they are waiting for an harvestman RMA ! d'oh!
So I ask Amanda, here is the answer :
"There must be a communication breakdown. We do not send dealers our RMA numbers. Some dealers use their own RMA systems, but our numbers are for our information only. We have never had to contact a dealer before to arrange a repair."
hmmm.....

I have called musictore, the customer service say that they will arrange that and the module will be send for repair shortly.

Now, 15 more days after…
Amanda say that she has no news from Musicstore and that she doesn't has my module.
I called MusicStore again: customer service doesn't know what happened, they will try to know where is my module… cry
And still have no real informations… perhaps sent, perhaps lost, perhaps waiting for something…

So what a waste of time for me !
Amanda at Harvestman is very efficient, but I have to say that Musicstore is the worst experience I have had for having and item repaired under guaranty!

I hope I will have my module back repaired one day, I feel like it's not on a good way.
I will let you know.
Baddcr
I have had a similar experience and I looked into the details of returning things to the USA from the EU for repair; because of the import duty and VAT that is payable on newly imported goods, there is a very complex procedure for declaring goods that are to be returned for repair that must be completed to avoid these charges being levied again when the repaired item is sent back.

This must be completed before the goods to be returned go anywhere and having looked at the UK regulations I can honestly say I have no clue how anyone ever manages to achieve it - it's grotesquely complex - it's like the worlds most brilliant minds sat down and worked out the most convoluted procedure possible, threw in a lot of technical jargon and then randomised the order that things need to happen in, and then did it all again just to make sure it is 100% undecipherable.

If this is what our governments present as their position on the export and re-import of goods for repair it is small wonder we live in a throwaway society.

I can only assume that it is a deliberate attempt to stop this from ever happening.

As a retailer, I can only imagine that it is a complete nightmare, any profit they made from the sale of the module in the first place will be eaten up in the first few hours of the inevitable bureaucratic warfare they must engage in to manage the return of items like this. After the weeks go by it will probably cost them more than the profit from a dozen modules just to process the one being sent for repair. I don't know how well these companies have this process streamlined, but I can imagine it varies a lot from store to store. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask before purchasing what the stores track record of making these arrangements is.

I feel for you, I know what it's like to be without your favourite bit of gear, I don't have any solution other than to suggest that you become a huge pain in the ass for the store so that it becomes more expensive for them to deal with your phone calls, emails etc.. every day than it does for them to do the work and get this sorted - but that's really shit advice :(

Good luck!!
Baddcr
I just looked MusicStore have the PHmk][ in stock - I'd start insisting that they send you a new one and they can sort the broken one out themselves and leave you out of it.
loorenz
Baddcr wrote:
I just looked MusicStore have the PHmk][ in stock - I'd start insisting that they send you a new one and they can sort the broken one out themselves and leave you out of it.

I have tried to suggest that… if I have send back the module during 30 days after the purchase they would have send me a new one, but as my module was 6 months old, they don't want to replace it by a new one.
mt3
We have similar drama here in the Canada when sending to USA.
Baddcr
Hmm, not good is it :(

I honestly don't know what to suggest other than keep at them... sad banana

Try again, when they say that, say yes, but you've lost my original module!!!
loorenz
From France to USA, on the Customs declaration form we can declare as "repair guaranty return"
When I have sent back a module to Pittsburgh Modular, I have had no problem with VAT and fees as I ship the parcel as well when it came back to me.
Perhaps I was lucky…
Infinity Curve
mt3 wrote:

Drama? You check the box on the shipping label for warranty/repair and that's it. Sending a package internationally is as easy as filling out a shipping label with your address, receivers address, what the item is and declared value, with boxes for gift, warranty/repair, etc. If its express, phone numbers too. Dead simple and nothing beyond the normal shipping label required for documentation. I usually just note stuff as 'sound module' or 'synth parts'.
Baddcr
not sure if you've misunderstood? edit: or maybe I misunderstood?

I don;t think that's what we're talking about, yes, sending good abroad is easy, no problem there. It's sending them outside the EU and then having them sent back, as would be the case with a repair, here's the UK introduction to what's involved:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-236-returned-goods-r elief/notice-236-returned-goods-relief

Dead Banana
mt3
Infinity Curve wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Drama? You check the box on the shipping label for warranty/repair and that's it. Sending a package internationally is as easy as filling out a shipping label with your address, receivers address, what the item is and declared value, with boxes for gift, warranty/repair, etc. If its express, phone numbers too. Dead simple and nothing beyond the normal shipping label required for documentation. I usually just note stuff as 'sound module' or 'synth parts'.

I was referring to when we have to send it back to the dealer, who then ships it back to the manufacturer (as in this case).
Yes, in modular land I've learned to eliminate the middle man and just send things to the modular manufacturer without going through the hoopla of the dealer having to do so. It's much easier for me to bypass Customs than it is for them apparently.
w00t
Infinity Curve
Never had any issues on my end. If they note repair/warranty when they send it back, I didn't have to pay any customs

Although the only time I've had to deal with returns or repairs was with a shop, and they just sent me a new one once they had the original DOA one back.

Sorry if my post seemed confrontational, was not my intent.
mt3
Infinity Curve wrote:
Never had any issues on my end. If they note repair/warranty when they send it back, I didn't have to pay any customs

Although the only time I've had to deal with returns or repairs was with a shop, and they just sent me a new one once they had the original DOA one back.

Sorry if my post seemed confrontational, was not my intent.

No worries. I just wanted to mention it's not unique to EU, and once dealers are involved they all have their own way of processing the returns/repairs/warranties. The shipping costs alone probably eat everyone's margins.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Looking at those pictures in the OP reminded me of the time when Intellijel had a problem with a certain type of SMD electrolytic capacitors that would suddenly pop off of the PCB, particularly if it was flexed a certain way. This was many years ago, and the problem was rectified, but SMD electrolytic caps can be a problem.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1