MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

feedback sound of guitar without a guitar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author feedback sound of guitar without a guitar
sleestack808
I want to get a nice droning feedback sound like a guitar, but avoid the guitar. Is there an invention i dont know about?

I have a barcus berry pickup and a zither. but id like to get a nice thick sound. Thanks..
I know buy a guitar.
sduck
Get a mesa boogie Mark IIc+. And a gibson ES335. Or something similar. But whatever you do, do NOT refer to it as a guitar. It is not a guitar. It's an electric tenor zither. Or something like that. Problem solved.
dkcg
You still need a guitar, but an ebow can do this.
grimleyj
Anyone tried a Digitech Freqout?
abandonist
A hot mic with a distortion pedal behind it can controllably feedback pretty well. You just move the mic around as needed.
sleestack808
I have a nice tele. Im just afraid the guitar mentality will mess with my creative mind
sleestack808
EBow, nice idea, thanks
smetak
grimleyj wrote:

I did.....hum....didn't really cut it for me. Although I am digging the recent Digitech effects - got the very fine Obscura delay, which is on my board - the Freqout was a bit of a let down, sounded like a watered-down flute. Maybe I got the settings wrong while horsing around with it (didn't really have too much time on my hands when I tried it while on a trip to NY) - but didn't really cut it for me.

For something similar, an Ebow is hard to beat.
e-grad
Experiment with a fixed filter bank in the feedback loop of the A199 Spring Reverb. Try a rather complex input signal. This should get you in similar territory even though it is not the real deal. Rockin' Banana!
sduck
sleestack808 wrote:
Im just afraid the guitar mentality will mess with my creative mind

Say what? It's just another tool for your creative mind. Unless your creative mind is closed, in which case a good dose of feedback might help crack it open a little...

Extra tip: to get away from typical guitar feedback sounds, detuning is your friend.
Just me
I have a patch I made on my Minimoog Voyager that does the harmonic feedback thing pretty well. But, I have a Telecaster, Jaguar and SG along with a selection of amps that do it even better.
GuyaGuy
Wonder how this works with other instruments...

http://en.m.audiofanzine.com/other-guitar-saturation-effect/fender/run away-feedback-pedal/news/a.play,n.14551.html
controlFreak
make a feedback loop:

mult a guitar fuzz pedal's in and out and maybe add an eq or filter in the loop to alter the resonant frequency then take the signal out from the mult.

Will work best with pedals that don't invert the signal. Inverted signal would mean negative feedback... but may work as most pedals are very imperfect.
mt3
Look into no input mixing.
stk
sduck wrote:
sleestack808 wrote:
Im just afraid the guitar mentality will mess with my creative mind

Say what? It's just another tool for your creative mind. Unless your creative mind is closed, in which case a good dose of feedback might help crack it open a little...

Tell it brother. SlayerBadger!
mt3

koyl
grimleyj wrote:

Yes, it works great for traditional feedback and beyond (like getting feedback with a clean sound hihi )
indexofmetals
Macumbista Soundbox. Running several together is even better.
noisejockey
Just actually make feedback with your zither.

Mic the zither with a second, actual/non-contact mic. Feed mic into preamp. Feed output into an amplifier...but a small one, like the little Pignose amp, or those 7" high Marshall stacks, or a MiniRig. Place the amp with the mic pointing a little towards it, place it close enough to feed back, find the sweet spot where the feedback builds when you really hit or strum hard. Track that mic alongside the BB contact mic, mix to taste.

And try putting an eBow on it. Maybe the strings' metal cores will be activated by it.
koyl
I just remembered I got excellent results with a M.I. Elements feedbacking on itself. It's like having Thurston Moore trapped in your modular. Miley Cyrus
Rex Coil 7
sleestack808 wrote:
I want to get a nice droning feedback sound like a guitar, but avoid the guitar.
Use a synthesizer.

sleestack808 wrote:
Is there an invention i dont know about?
Synth-uh-sizer. Say it with me now ..... synth ...... a ...... sizer. C'mon .. you can do it .. I know you can!

sleestack808 wrote:
I know buy a guitar.
NOT A GUITAR! SYNTH! BUY A SYNTH! The MSN Smack!
Poking fun aside, I recently purchased a Kurzweil PC3A6, and it has some PSYCHO-SICK-ASS lead synth sounds with the added dimension of amp feedback. Rolling the mod wheel upward brings in the screech ... tweeking one of the slders tunes the screech in hz producing some beating, tweeking another one of the sliders adds a sub-octave to the screech, giving it that pinch harmonic sound. And tweeking yet another slider adds some form of ring modulation to really make it rude as hell when the mod wheel is rolled in and the screech makes enemies of all who dare to defy it's mightiness.

The pinch harmonic thing is quite musical and highly effective. Nice job on that program.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1