MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland Boutique D-05
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author Roland Boutique D-05
Taco Belly
https://www.roland.com/fr/products/d-05/ we're not worthy
ludotex

nanners
Annwn
Wowser! Even though it looks about as much fun as the original to program, it's pretty exciting to see the a proudly digital re-boot.

When's the Boutique MT-32? lol
paperCUT
I'm a huge sucker for the sound of the D-50, this will be the first Boutique module I've bought hyper
Hainbach
Yep, this is missing from my sound palette.
Luap
I await the Boutique PG-1000 programmer (complete with 11mm travel faders?) to go with it.
rauch
Luap wrote:
I await the Boutique PG-1000 programmer (complete with 11mm travel faders?) to go with it.

exactly what i was thinking hihi
tim gueguen
Now half the songs written over the next year will feature Digital Native Dance, just like 1988. lol
WaveRider
tim gueguen wrote:
Now half the songs written over the next year will feature Digital Native Dance, just like 1988. lol

I purchased a brand new one back then... I was composing music for a film. Then at the 1st screening in the theater, they played ads featuring the same presets I used in the movie. smile

I had never heard those sounds before, and it never occurred to me that they would become ubiquitous during the composition, and those very sounds would be used everywhere hihi

I always hated that synth, to me it is junk. I do credit it for having me turn to analog synths in an era where they were all over pawn shops for a song. That is how I built myself the most gigantic rig I ever had, then sold it and lived off it for 3 years all expenses paid. meh

I remember listening to the raw oscillators waves, like the sine, and going to the store listening to a 50$ Moog prodigy comparing the oscillators, and thinking, I cannot go wrong with that Moog instead. That sine wave dances and sings compared to that sterile D50 sine.

Now kids, that is how I said good bye to all my digital synths at the time, even if they were "state of the art sound technology"... and analogs synth filled the dumps and pawn shops.

So I can't say that the D50 did not have an influence on me.
Bjarne
Well, it may not have the analog strengths but just like the casio cz, 12-bit samplers etc the D-50 have its own digital character. Whether you like it or not is another question, and all these reboots of old gear may not be the best way to push things forward. I'm a little tempted to get one though.
Cheers
dumbledog
Assuming Patchbase on iOS gets updated to work with it over USB I'd gladly trade my OG D-50 for one.
rowsbywoof
100% want. Boutique I'm most excited for, actually.
brackets
rauch wrote:
Luap wrote:

exactly what i was thinking hihi

I have a roland d50 rack (d550), with the programmer for sale, if you are interested.
rauch
brackets wrote:
I have a roland d50 rack (d550), with the programmer for sale, if you are interested.
thanks i have a d50 and bought an ipad few weeks ago.
rauch
rowsbywoof wrote:
100% want. Boutique I'm most excited for, actually.

definitely the first one where the size makes sense.
Chopper
Although i'll be all over it (mostly for the sake of nostalgia), i am currently looking at my similar sized blofeld (similar priced as well), and can't help thinking i actually don't need ro buy this...
calaveras
Finally a boutique product I can get behind.
I've wanted to check out a D50 or 550 for years, but they used prices are absurd.
Annwn
Showing up as $899 from the only dealer listing in Australia so far. Here's hoping that's a mistake.
Ranxerox
Hmm, still think the original sounds ever so slightly better - more mellow low end, nicer reverb - while the boutique version is a little more 'forward' and brittle. A mighty tempting unit though, will need to check one out in a shop.

The other thing about the D-50 is the original's pitch stick and keyboard action, plus the load of pedal inputs around the back. I guess on the D-05 you are getting arpeggiator and sequencer to make up for losing those, plus it is mighty compact and portable... Nice that you can plug a PG-1000 into it too.
Blairio
I had a D50 back in the day, and later on a D550, which sounded better. The power supply was beefier and you could globally enable and disable the fx. The presets were done to death (Enya's Orinoco Flow for instance), but the synth was capable of some very interesting atmospheric pads, with a little bit of work.

This boutique version looks great, and even has twice the polyphony of the original (16 voices vs. 8 voices). It will all come down to cost, but I def want one.
AdamJay
Roland is gonna need about tree fiddy

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D05
dubonaire
Ranxerox wrote:
Hmm, still think the original sounds ever so slightly better - more mellow low end, nicer reverb - while the boutique version is a little more 'forward' and brittle. A mighty tempting unit though, will need to check one out in a shop.

I agree. I think it's more than ever so slightly. it's very noticeable. I was surprised in the comparison video that there was so much low end difference. It seems Roland's digital emulation of digital is less successful than its digital emulation of analogue. Who would have thought?

So tempting though when you consider they cost less than most Eurorack voices and are so convenient.
Annwn
dubonaire wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:

I agree. I think it's more than ever so slightly. it's very noticeable. I was surprised in the comparison video that there was so much low end difference. It seems Roland's digital emulation of digital is less successful than its digital emulation of analogue. Who would have thought?

So tempting though when you consider they cost less than most Eurorack voices and are so convenient.

Would be interesting to hear how it compares to the V-Synth D-50 card with DAC emulation mode. I thought the difference in the D-50/D-05 comparison video was quite noticeable but I feel it would still fudge into the mix pretty well. At least for my evil porpoises... haha
dubonaire
Annwn wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:

Would be interesting to hear how it compares to the V-Synth D-50 card with DAC emulation mode. I thought the difference in the D-50/D-05 comparison video was quite noticeable but I feel it would still fudge into the mix pretty well. At least for my evil porpoises... haha

Yeah I'll probably get it to work on custom patches that take advantage of the joystick.
Bjarne
Isn't it likely that the digital portion is 100% spot on but the analog output stage differs, which would mean some basic eq would solve this.
Cheers

dubonaire wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11