MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synthrotek Quadrangle
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Synthrotek Quadrangle
novim
Teased today on Facebook. From the picture: quad envelope generator with end of attack/end of cycle outputs, attenuation, cv control over attack and decay/release, and a bit more. All in what appears to be 20 HP. On the face of it, could be strong competition for Intellijel's elegant but wider Quadra+Expander.

Looking forward to more details.

From the Synthrotek Fb page:
Quote:
Tomorrow we have 2 new #eurorack modules for sale and yes you can get them at #knobcon and on our web store. More info coming soon, but the Quadrangle is our FIRST SMT completed build with traditional Aluminum panel! Kits will come out in a few more weeks.

mecanikill
Nice I may have to pick up one of these.
kingspill
This looks pretty tasty.
funkyjunky
It doesn't compete with quadra since it doesn't have that musthave response curve knob. Yes, you can run it through a vca that has it but it will not provide you with the same flexibility as intellijel quadra + intellijel quad vca in terms of envelope response curve.

Also, can anyone provide a good reason for using small knobs instead big ones? I am not observing any — there is plenty of space for bigger knobs.
Chopper
Curious to see the spec (read:audiorate???)
adh82
This looks great but seriously they should have used large knobs! Massive mistake on a module this size
Trebbers
Interested in this, but do agree it's a bit of a shame about no variable response.

I can't puzzle out what the toggle switch in the middle column does. Maybe control for a quadrature mode?
AMillionMonkeys
Trebbers wrote:
I can't puzzle out what the toggle switch in the middle column does. Maybe control for a quadrature mode?

I'm hoping the side with the hand is a master mute switch. That would be a neat feature.
Jumbuktu
funkyjunky wrote:
It doesn't compete with quadra since it doesn't have that musthave response curve knob. Yes, you can run it through a vca that has it but it will not provide you with the same flexibility as intellijel quadra + intellijel quad vca in terms of envelope response curve.

Also, can anyone provide a good reason for using small knobs instead big ones? I am not observing any — there is plenty of space for bigger knobs.

I think the Quadra just has a linear / exponential switch. Agree that no control is disappointing, but you can fake different curves by patching the EG output back to attack or decay cv. It does have level control over the output, which Quadra does not have.

I don't mind the small knobs. There would not be much clearance for the left side jacks if they were bigger.

It has a very Intellijel look about it.
MindMachine
funkyjunky wrote:

That was my first thought. If you actually add it all up though, it may be just a bit cramped (esp. regarding graphics) if they went full knob on it.
chvad
Jumbuktu wrote:
funkyjunky wrote:

I think the Quadra just has a linear / exponential switch. Agree that no control is disappointing, but you can fake different curves by patching the EG output back to attack or decay cv..

That ain't faking it! That's doing it the right way! smile

Also think the small knobs was a miss.
Drilldoughzer
I hope that they will sell them has DIY kits with pre-soldered SMT"s...
Paranormal Patroler
This one reminds me of the a-143-1 in terms of features. That's a compliment! I love the Doepfer quad envelope options. This is super intriguing ... can't beat having comparators available on an Envelope generator.
joem
I'm into it. I've been eyeing the A-143-1, and I might be into this more. Small knobs aren't a problem for me, and also there's not enough room for bigger knobs on this anyway (without adding HP). Sure, they might technically fit in the space, but then your fingers won't fit (or at least mine won't).
kay_k
I just love the attenuverters! half my modules don't have any on their inputs.
lin/log/exp-switch would have been great tho
Bachelard
I think the cascading idea is extremely clever. Totally interested in trying it out.

lin/exp switch would be nice, but not a huge deal in my book because it's meant for combining the envelopes to generate more complex shapes. I think it's pretty awesome as it is.
createsounds
Interesting thing to me was they added my email to there email list...
Just because I order an item a few months ago...
hmmm.....

"Classic aluminum grey"
Psst...
novim
Anyone try one of these yet?

I'm looking for a quad envelope and this has jumped to the top of my list, for the combination of cost, features and size. Interested to know how it feels in person. Quadra + Expander and Doepfer A-143-1, as mentioned upthread, are the others I've been considering.
createsounds
novim wrote:
Anyone try one of these yet?

Quadra + Expander and Doepfer A-143-1, as mentioned upthread, are the others I've been considering.

synthro-shrek.
euromorcego
novim wrote:
Quadra + Expander and Doepfer A-143-1, as mentioned upthread, are the others I've been considering.

what about the QuBit Contour? Similar price, similar features (except for the EOC outs) but with real knobs. The envelopes can be cascaded as well.

never touched a quadrangle but i know how those tiny knobs feel. Totally ok for an input attenuverter but as the main knobs for an envelope? Not for me.
novim
Yeah, fair enough. The tiny knobs are a concern - for fine tuning, but also harder to nudge around under a mess of cables than a bigger one would be.

The Qu-Bit looks really tidy. Nice price also. The EOCs on the other units are are a major draw for me, but so is CV over attack and decay.

Am I correct that the A-143-1 doesn't have CV control over A/D? From pictures, I find that interface little more difficult to penetrate.
euromorcego
novim wrote:

Am I correct that the A-143-1 doesn't have CV control over A/D? From pictures, I find that interface little more difficult to penetrate.

no CV control on the a-143-1 indeed. It has a trigger input and an end-of-attack output. That's it. Additional features are a comparator for each envelope )can be used to cascade them also) and an attenuverter for the mix output. It seems designed to make complex envelopes by adding simple ones.

The quadrangle would have been a winner if they added 2hp or so and used proper knobs. Contour looks clean and useful. It seems to be digital (which some people don't like). On the plus side it has different envelope shapes (yes, you can patch this yourself but it is far easier with a knob) and can also cascade/chain envelopes (but no internal mixing).

However, to me Quadra+Expander still looks like the best choice. It is a bit more expensive and 4hp more, but has attenuverter on the CV inputs, quadrature modes, mixing, ...
SmokyClap
Whats the price onthe kits? will the kits be smt as well. Can we buy just panelandpcb?
Hek
Kits out yet?

Ppl enjoying this module? Hm looking at this or the contour by qubit.

How long are the decay times on this?
zaphod betamax
In AR mode, when you leave the gate up, does it stay at a sustain level until the gate is released, to go to release stage, or are these one shot actions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2