MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Senior Wigglers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Senior Wigglers
stike
Just checking to see what the population of wigglers over 60 is here. Have you always been into synths or did you get the bug late in life? Do you worry at night the your attraction to modular will drain your retirement account? How does your family react to the sounds of whale mating calls / aardvark death throes squeals coming from your studio?

Me - I was in a band during the 80's and my first synth was a Sequential Circuits Pro One. I have one now and I use a simple 104 hp setup to drive it, since its keyboard is broken.

Interested in hearing the wisdom of the elders.
melodydad
Nineteen forty-niner here!

No way could I have afforded a minimoog or odyssey, let alone my dream machine - the ARP2600.

However, produced many synth-based production music albums through the seventies and eighties and also, at work, had an early Fairlight, doing radio ads and suchlike.

Finally got into modular in 2012 and haven't looked back since thumbs up
cptnal
Thanks, guys. You made a forty six year-old noob feel young! Guinness ftw!
cornutt
Not quite 60 yet but I'm sneaking up on it. I've been interested in synths since I first heard Switched-on Bach as a child, way back in 1968. Like you, I played in a band in the '80s. My first synth was a Juno-106. I always wanted a modular, but back then, they were impossible to find. I DIY some to keep the spending somewhat under control (and because it's interesting), although I'm fortunate to be in a place in life where it isn't an extreme worry.

I generally use headphones so that the neighborhood doesn't become alarmed.
Parnelli
Just turned 60 a couple of weeks ago. I've always wanted to get into modular but could never afford it. Did have a Paia system with four boxes of modules, keyboard, and an Arp Odyssey long ago, but it wan't until Euro Rack that I finally have been able to step into this world with both feet.
cretaceousear
you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn

I'm planning on wiring up my Zimmer frame to a high power sample and hold that's connected to the mains - so every now and then I get a good shake.

Better add a brief how I got here:
There was a Synthi AKS at school which I was fascinated by but only had short goes on. Learnt to solder, built a stereo amp that never worked...

Started playing with mates after we all left Art College (bass then guitar) - we still play together 40 years later.

Kept up with electronics with fuzz boxes, then in 1980 saw the Digisound 80 on the cover of ETI. Mostly play guitar now but spend a lot of time in Reaper, the other band members have those pre-packaged synth sounds in their laptops. Meh..

Still like to boldly go and seek new places ..
hsosdrum
Even though I've been playing drums since I was 10, I fell in love with Moog modulars when I played one for the first time in 1971.

Fast-forward 46 years to 2017. Now that I'm single and have no one to answer to but myself, I bought myself a 65th birthday present:

Wiggling it is more fun than a fat, bald, cranky old guy like me should be allowed to have![
wiggies
I'm just a bit shy of 60, and have only been at this for about 9 months.

As a kid I was interested in synths, what with Switched-on Bach, Clockwork Orange, EL&P, Yes, etc. In college, I managed to get myself into a class in the music dept at UTexas on electronic music. The actual musicians in the class were using these small "Serge" units, but I played with a big Moog System 55. Later, in the early 90s I bought some cheap second-hand digital synths (and a MicroMoog!) but didn't make much headway with them. Life got in the way, and all that stuff sat in various closets until about this time last year, when I started digging it out.

My wife bought me a Mother 32 for christmas. And so it began ...
chamomileshark
a 1959er here so nearly there.

I started back in the late 70s with tape machines (music concrete i guess) and got my first synth (a Roland SH2 which I still have and use) in 1980.

I'm already retired (somewhat unexpectedly) but luckily my modular purchases were nearly a decade ago and I regard it as complete so no worries about draining funds (although I do fancy an OB6 module, a Roli Seaboard, Max / MSP, oh and...)

I make a variety of musics on the modular, some of it gaining spousal approval, some not.

oh and

you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn
gonkulator
My avatar is me in my glory days back in the 16th century. I was into synths before that youngster Ben Franklin discovered lightning.
Parnelli
I am honored to be among such an historic company! What were we talking about now?

I don't think I could have done this with much success when I was younger, as I didn't have the proper time to invest in it, not to mention a short attention span theater going on in my head back in those days. Now that I'm older and live alone I can spend as much time as I want mucking about without bothering anyone.

One of the things that age brings with it (sometimes) is increased difficulty in remembering things, so I am thinking on starting a journal on my experiments which will slow me down a little to write, but may prove to be invaluable in the future.

It would be very cool to get into some vintage modular equipment, but I'm afraid resources prohibit it at this time. I have enough in Eurorack to keep me busy for quite a while.

Now considering recording I do have a studio centered around a computer I built long ago with Cakewalk Pro Suite 9 that works great, but has become antiquated by today's standards. Any good portable digital units out there that won't break the bank? (It's probably already too late...) It would be nice to share some experiments, but I'll have to learn how first.
wingcommander
Well I’m a late ’53 vintage. My first synth was a Wasp, bought in 1979/80 in Charing Cross Road.
Unfortunately It didn’t like being transported in the panniers of my bike and gave up the ghost years ago.
Obviously, when I started this modular thing at the end of last year, there was no contest for my first filter…
Joxer96
Not quite 60, turning 54 next month, but just wanted to say it makes me happy to see I'm not the only 'mature' Wiggler here. Like some of you, I lusted after modulars back when they cost as much as a house, so I really feel as if I'm in a dream these last few years. So many awesome, affordable options out there. It truly is the golden age of modulars.
thisoldmike
Another "not quite senior" (but only a couple of years away) checking in, glad to know there are a few of us here. I've been playing guitar for over 35 years and bought my first synth 5-6 years ago. It was love at first sight, one of those "where has this been all my life?" kind of things.

It's been a slippery slope, and when I saw my first Eurorack setup I knew I'd ultimately end up going down that road. About a year ago, I started off with a semi-modular (Pittsburgh SV-1) to get a feel for it then I picked up a second one (Moog M32) in a trade, and I was hooked. My bank account just hasn't been the same since.
kindredlost
Inception date: 1955

Started synth addiction in 1979 with an Arp Axxe and then built a PAIA P4700J modular with the 8700 computer interface. I then collected every synth I could afford on a modest factory-worker's income through out the 80's. including...

Elka Rhapsody String Machine
Roland Jupiter 4
Sequential Circuits Pro One
Roland Paraphonic 505
Korg Polysix
Korg Mono/Poly
Korg MS10
Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Sequential Circuits Sixtrack
Arp Odyssey

I played in a few bands and wrote some music but as is the theme here, i found other interests such as raising a family and building a business.

A few fits and stars occurred and between things I played some music with the advent of samplers and computer DAWS. First one was Master Track Pro and an Emu Proteus. Then later in the late 2000's I re-discovered the modular with synthesizers.com and the large format stuff.

Hearing Walter Carlos' Switched On Bach and discovering Tangerine Dream in 1972, then later finding Morton Subotnick in the late 70's, the whole discovery of electronic music has been an avenue of expression for me. I can't imagine how someone now can find the same satisfaction from the new and intriguing sounds we heard for the first time in those days. Of course it can happen but for us back then it was truly magic in every way. Computers were a fantasy and the pure tones of a sine wave were something of the Cosmos or science.
Morphology
Hey what a great thread! I'm a child of the Sixties (early 1960), so I'm a mere 57.

I too listened to Switched on Bach, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Shultz, Tomita etc., in the 60's and 70's.

I'm a classical flautist by training, a jazz Saxophonist by inclination, and an Electronics & computing engineer through education.

Synthesis allowed me to combine all three. My first synth was a Transcendent 2000 kit, built in 1977 - advertised in Electronics Today International to which I was subscribed and an avid reader.

I also built (and still have) the Practical Electronics String Ensemble built from a kit in 1978.

I yearned for an ETI 5600, though could never afford to build one.

As my final year project at Uni in 1980-81, I designed and built a wind controller for the Transcendent 2000, which used flute-like fingering and playing style.

I didn't realise at the time just how forward-thinking it was, and never touched it after graduating.

I drifted away from analogue synthesis following the death of prog, and stuck to playing Saxes (I've played in the same band for 27 years now), but always held an unhealthy fascination for the conjunction of Computers & Music.

As a side line to the day-job as an IT Manager, I wrote and published sample-editing software in late 1980's, then got into DAWs and recording technology.

The Sample-editing software led to commissions from the likes of Yamaha, Korg & Generalmusic to write sample-translation software for their synths - I was paid in Synths, so have a small collection of digital workstations & modules including Korg M1, Yamaha TG300, GEM S2 & Ensoniq ASR10.

It was when ex-Wife three left 2 years ago (expensive things, ex-Wives) that I finally dug my Transcendent 2000 out of the attic, bought an oscilloscope, and tinkered it back into life and I realised how much I missed electronics.

Modular synthesis gave me a route back in, and has given me something to do which, in turn, has stopped me drinking and being a miserable middle-aged lonely fuck-wit. Well, stopped me drinking quite as much, anyway.

I've just finished building a 15U x 84Hp rack, which I'm rapidly filling with modules (about half way through a Befaco Chopping Kinky at present), and I have been designing & building sequencers based on the Raspberry Pi, and having great fun getting boards fabricated in China.

Nobody around to tell me what to (or what not to) do, so the room I used to call my living room is now festooned with a jungle of wires, exploded electronics and breadboards.

Great fun!

Morph.
wackelpeter
Not a senior wiggler myself, i'm a 42 old freshie, but i think there are many more senior wigglers around.
I would go as far and say the great majority of modular addicts is above 40 or 50 years and as well a lot more than 60 years old.
I think so because i rarely see any people below 30 years sharing an similar love for modulars as we do.
Why all those teens and twens can't share the same love and enthusiasm for the modular world? What's wrong with that generation? grin

As another curious thought, i wonder what will happen when most or all of us will fade away into heaven, hell, nirvana or will be reborn as rabbit sometime.
Will the interest or request for modulars also fade away, similar like it did in the early 80's when most digital synths came out?
cretaceousear
Mutant rabbits might get into modular?

Aren't the youngsters too busy having fun in Euroraqueville?
wackelpeter
cretaceousear wrote:

I strongly believe all the youngsters are controlled by their smart phones... This must be some mind controlling device, which most people aged 40 or above seem to be immune to. wink
Parnelli
wackelpeter wrote:
cretaceousear wrote:

I strongly believe all the youngsters are controlled by their smart phones... This must be some mind controlling device, which most people aged 40 or above seem to be immune to. wink

TV, smart phones, computers, the internet, there's a reason they call their content "programming"...
Richie Witch
Less than 2 years shy of 60, started setting up my home studio four years ago. As a teenager back in the 70's, I could quote tech specs for high-end audio gear the way some kids could spout sports statistics. Not that I could afford any of that gear, but I would spend hours in the hi-fi shops drooling over the stuff and sneaking product brochures when the staff wasn't looking.

My dream was to become an studio engineer and sit behind that big console twisting knobs and pushing faders.

So life happens--career, family, kids, etc, etc, etc. I went for the more pragmatic electrical engineering and although I joined the audio recording club in college (the school bought us an 8 channel/4 bus mixer and a 4-track reel-to-reel), that was the closest I got to my dreams.

Then four years ago, I was looking for a new hobby and realized I could build that studio. Problem was... I'm not a musician. Passionate music lover yes! Musician no.

So with a recording studio all set up and no one to record, I realized I was going to have to record myself. The one instrument that immediately came to mind was the synthesizer--I had dabbled on keyboards off an on over the years--so I went to Craigslist and found a used Korg MS2000R cheap.

Four years later and a 30U rack of synthesizers, including 12U of Euro, a DX7 keyboard, drum machine, grooveboxes, etc, etc, and I'm living the dream.

Not worried about my retirement fund because with the studio I have now, I don't get GAS attacks that often. Even my Eurorack rig feels complete. So I'll save up for a Prophet 6 or some cool outboard FX, but for the most part, I'm right where I want to be.
alexbarbed
I like this thread. I'm only 50 but thought I'd join in anyway. It amuses me that the older gentleman's indulgence of choice is now a modular synth. A combination of tinnitus and hearing loss means I can hardly hear the bloody thing but I use a frequency analyser to make sure I'm not freaking out the young people and dogs next door.

My first exposure to electronic music was 'Popcorn' (the Hot Butter version, natch.) My first synth was the mighty Casio VL-Tone, followed by a Casio SK-5, a Roland W30 and only finally got a 'real' analogue synth in the 90s - the very cute Novation BassStation Mk I. I was more interested in tape-work than synths, mainly because I knew what I was doing with tape (and tape was cheap.) I worked under the name 'Barbed', but joined Add N To X for a year and was introduced to Moogs and Korgs... I had a Synthi in my front room for six months and didn't even know you were supposed to patch it to change the sounds very frustrating
mousegarden
I'll be 63 in October.
I became interested in synthesisers in the late 60's, my first one was a VCS3 it cost me £500 in 1975.
I don't have a family so no one worries about what I do.
I don't worry about buying studio equipment, money comes, and it goes, if I have it I tend to spend it. As long as I don't get in debt, and I have enough money to give my girlfriend treats, that's the most important thing.
My ambition is to own a Buchla 200e.
I owe my interest in music and electronics to Bach, Cage, The Shadows, Brian Eno, Jimi Hendrix, and all the "beautiful people" dead or alive.
ersatzplanet
Just turned 64 last August.

Bought my first synth, a VCS3 in 1975 right after a couple of years playing (and teaching) a ARP 2500 in collage. A couple of Synthi AKSs followed (at ~$500 a piece). I have owned and sold a ton of gear over the decades because I was never rich enough to keep them and had to sell them to get something new. Had 3-Pro Ones a TR808 and a 4-voice at one time, that was the most gear at one time for a while. Had a KYMA Capy 320 and a lot of rack synths Proteus, Wavestations, Yamaha, Obie 1000, etc) in my MIDI phase. Currently I have a six 6U 84HP cabinets of Euro, a NM, NM G2, three Mirage samplers, the keyboard one I bought NEW (the chips in them are worth more than you could sell them for), a WavestationSR, Proteus, and effects. I have thought of selling a bunch of the stuff but it is more hassle than what cash you would get for them.

Before Oberheim and a few of the "old timers" started making Eurorack modules, I was the oldest guy I knew making Euro modules. I didn't know everyone of course, but was the oldest of all the ones I ever met.
scottmoon
Age:63. Sign:Feces, Occupation:Deranged, Preoccupation:Noise lolspew
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3