MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noise Engineering in 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Noise Engineering in 5U
Eric the Red
Don't know much about these guys - https://www.noiseengineering.us - but they are taking a jump into 5U!!

They posted a bit on their blog about it: https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/

I've never heard of these guys, but I excited to some new blood in the 5U world

-Eric
Sugarfree
yes, they make great-sounding digital drum modules in Euro. I can't wait to have one MU.
I hope the module in the teaser photo is just a prototype and they don't try to bring their Euro graffiti esthetics to MU.
sduck
More than one manufacturer has been "dissuaded" from entering the 5U format because of the "aesthetic snobs". I just used a lot of quotes because I'm trying to be polite (probably not very well), which I strongly encourage in this situation! Remember, positive, constructive criticism will have better results than negativity.
Eric the Red
I do love the nice, neat, orderly aesthics of 5U. From Facebook where I originally saw this. The image was getting bashed for not following the "5U Aesthetic".

As long as they don't do something stupid like put the knobs in the middle, put inputs on top and outputs on the bottom, I'll be happy.

***just using this image as an example***


If something like this ends up in the 5U world, I personally would not buy it:
-the font is illegible
-inputs/outputs all over the place, would get in the way of wiggling
-there is just no resign space for the eye.

Anyway - I hope these "new" guys do well.
cupperwear
This could be a really nice addition to 5U percussion, but I agree regarding aesthetics, esp. considering the extent of their euro designs. There are clearly a lot of discussions about this topic in this corner, so whatever it turns out to look like, it'll create buzz. It's exciting to see more manufacturers join this world, esp. with less traditional designs. Be nice and don't scare them off!
newgreyarea
I don't think this or the 1space version in Instagram are the final designs. I've discussed with NE the importance of the format's aesthetics if he wants to sell any of them. I'll bring it up again when I meet up with Stephen (Noise Engineering) hopefully later this week. Can't wait to get my paws on this and the Loquelic!
Sugarfree
sduck wrote:
More than one manufacturer has been "dissuaded" from entering the 5U format because of the "aesthetic snobs".


I could reverse your argument and say that many customers have been "dissuaded" from entering Euro because of "form over function" esthetics for cool kids.

I'd say, requesting a panel which follows established, mature design guidelines is constructive criticism.
Jamnuska
I will buy whatever format is cheaper.
Noise Engineering makes some great modules (none of which I own)...
Eric the Red
Sugarfree wrote:
sduck wrote:
More than one manufacturer has been "dissuaded" from entering the 5U format because of the "aesthetic snobs".


I could reverse your argument and say that many customers have been "dissuaded" from entering Euro because of "form over function" esthetics for cool kids.

I'd say, requesting a panel which follows established, mature design guidelines is constructive criticism.


This is one of the things I like and don't like about Modular - in Euro land, you have people who make "readable" versions/basic versions of panels. grayscale I think they are called? I love that these tools are customizable, but at the same time every single piece of these things are customizable.

Anyway, the new modules are certain to make an impact and I'm looking forward to it.
bwhittington
Boy, some people never get tired of rehashing the ol' 5U aesthetics argument.

Complaining about label tape on a module in a teaser photo seems a little over the top to me. Surely it's a prototype, right? I mean, it looks like the mounting holes are off center too, if you want to get picky.
Sugarfree
Who said anything about label tape?
ba1
Comes in a nice bag though! hihi
ba1
I just checked out what I think is the euro version of this. Sounds awesome! Might have to sell my Tama TS306...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzwnqOkSEfM
ranix
Sugarfree wrote:
sduck wrote:
More than one manufacturer has been "dissuaded" from entering the 5U format because of the "aesthetic snobs".


I could reverse your argument and say that many customers have been "dissuaded" from entering Euro because of "form over function" esthetics for cool kids.


I was dissuaded from buying anything Eurorack a long time ago, before I knew anything about synthesis. The first modules I came across when searching for "Eurorack" on the Internet were Makenoise modules that look like the interface was designed by dumping a pile of components on the floor and doing board layout according to where they fell. I didn't even understand what I was looking at or what its function was supposed to be.
ranix
like look at this for example:

VS
Eric the Red
That's an Sduck panel, right? Always clear and easy to read. I have no idea what's happening on the left.
bwhittington
Sugarfree wrote:
Who said anything about label tape?


I'm sorry for the assumption. What else about it that is bothering you? It looks like a typically boring FPE job otherwise. I was assuming that the color is what you were referring to as "Euro graffiti."
Sugarfree
bwhittington wrote:
Sugarfree wrote:
Who said anything about label tape?


I'm sorry for the assumption. What else about it that is bothering you? It looks like a typically boring FPE job otherwise. I was assuming that the color is what you were referring to as "Euro graffiti."


The font placement. Function names partially covered by knobs. Overall "unfinished", misaligned look, consistent with the style of their Euro modules.
...or this is just another prototype.
bwhittington
I'd guess you probably don't need to worry too much, then. Those irregular mounting holes and everything else you mentioned do seem to suggest it is a prototype. And if it wasn't, you could always try smaller knobs on yours.

Nice module! I had never heard of it before. But if I got one, I would probably go with Euro. Seems like it would be right at home by a Varigate and Modcan Dual Delay. Plus, everyone's 5U runs always end up being an extra $100 or so.
unrecordings
Coming from a design background there are many many many things about Euro that could possibly offend me. But they're not part of my world, so they don't...

...though I clearly don't mind adorning other people's systems with my ancient letraset collection...

http://unrecordings.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/i-have-secret-identity-as.h tml
newgreyarea
you kids get off my lawn Slow down! This is a neighborhood! = This entire thread. Hah!




bwhittington wrote:
Seems like it would be right at home by a Varigate and Modcan Dual Delay. Plus, everyone's 5U runs always end up being an extra $100 or so.


Malekko has hinted at 5U versions of their sequencer bits! smile
Sugarfree
I hope Synthtech and Modcan come back to 5U.
Eric the Red
newgreyarea wrote:
you kids get off my lawn Slow down! This is a neighborhood! = This entire thread. Hah!

Malekko has hinted at 5U versions of their sequencer bits! smile


While you are at it, STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!!!
newgreyarea
Sugarfree wrote:
I hope Synthtech and Modcan come back to 5U.


I bug Paul about 5U stuff all the time and he just kinda seems to have no interest.
newgreyarea
Sugarfree wrote:
I hope Synthtech and Modcan come back to 5U.


I bug Paul about 5U stuff all the time and he just kinda seems to have no interest.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group