MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LPZW.modules SCHLEUßIG Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author LPZW.modules SCHLEUßIG Module
kay_k
8 channel mute for logic signals (Gate and Trigger) with Toggle Buttons and a grouping feature.
Created for performance setups with drum modules etc. but there is no reason not to mute the gate of a synth voice for instance.

Toggle multiple channels at the same time (mute on or off) either on the release of the "Group" button or when in "sync mode" at fixed point of the beat.
The sync moment can be chosen while holding the sync button.
The sync selection is:
    quarter note (a.k.a. always start with the kick after the break)
    half note (a.k.a. never start with clap on 2)
    bar (a.k.a. get the rest in line too)
    2 bars
    4 bars (a.k.a. free both hands to modulate something else in the break)

For the prototype the sync information is derived from the MIDI input. The final version might receive a selectable Clock&Run sync input. (Jumper selection)
The MIDI input is 3.5mm stereo TRS, with our own invented auto-crossover (directly connect either Korg-like OR Arturia-like devices with a cheap standard cable).

Internal MIDI-Trigger Converter - if you do not pug anything into the input jacks you can use Midi-Notes for the trigger outs.

Please feel free to contact us with input, questions and feature requests.

Target release: November 2017

PT1 .. others down in the thread.

The prototype is a bit wide (12HP) by purpose. As you might think, this is a performance module: I didn't wanted it to be too fiddly.
I am open for discussion there. One suggestion was to move connectors to the bottom and buttons to the top @8HP, but for my drum rack it makes more sense like it is. I also like the space left of the buttons for marking the channel names.
uniquepersonno2
Wow, this looks awesome!! Does it work for cv/audio as well? Would be really cool to be able to use it as a multipurpose mute for anything.
Controls look great though, congrats on actually making a module that works for performance applause
kay_k
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Wow, this looks awesome!! Does it work for cv/audio as well? Would be really cool to be able to use it as a multipurpose mute for anything.
Controls look great though, congrats on actually making a module that works for performance applause

As it is it works only for logic signals.

Funny you ask tho because when I played with it today I thought the same. It should be 8 VCAs .. well you could actually just use a channel to control a VCA, but this would take more space.
In the moment I use two quad logic ICs to do all the muting but actually I might just use two quad VCAs (and some slew rate limiting and some opamp buffers).
Not sure if I will do it just now, I guess I have to read into the Datasheet first.
uniquepersonno2
kay_k wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:

As it is it works only for logic signals.

Funny you ask tho because when I played with it today I thought the same. It should be 8 VCAs .. well you could actually just use a channel to control a VCA, but this would take more space.
In the moment I use two quad logic ICs to do all the muting but actually I might just use two quad VCAs (and some slew rate limiting and some opamp buffers).
Not sure if I will do it just now, I guess I have to read into the Datasheet first.

Ah, makes sense. Either way, I'm sure it'll be very useful for a lot of performance duties. I'll be following this thread to see what you end up doing.
By the way, props for being open to criticism/suggestions! Really cool to see developers willing to interact with the community.
aroom
congrats on a new interesting module!

Quote:
One suggestion was to move connectors to the bottom and buttons to the top @8HP

would it not make more sense to do the opposite ? buttons on the bottom and connectors on the top, like Tempi or Varigate ?

I imagined two rows of 4 mute buttons and another row with functions. you could use your right hand thumb to hold the function button and your other fingers to select which channel to mute/unmute.

could be fiddly though
uebl
Interesting module. But how come you're using Leipzig neighbourhoods as names for your modules when you're based in Berlin? hihi
kay_k
uebl wrote:
Interesting module. But how come you're using Leipzig neighbourhoods as names for your modules when you're based in Berlin? hihi

born and grown up in Grünau. I left when I was 26 or so.
The guys doing the graphics/logo are still down there. Are you a Leipziger?
kay_k
aroom wrote:
congrats on a new interesting module!

Quote:
One suggestion was to move connectors to the bottom and buttons to the top @8HP

would it not make more sense to do the opposite ? buttons on the bottom and connectors on the top, like Tempi or Varigate ?

I imagined two rows of 4 mute buttons and another row with functions. you could use your right hand thumb to hold the function button and your other fingers to select which channel to mute/unmute.

could be fiddly though

thanks, means a lot!

I am not 100% decided on everything but for now I like my design.
I am not sure how exactly it needs to look when I release it but one thing is certain: it needs to be not fiddly. That is also why I made it 12HP - it is visible thru the clear prototype panel that there is almost about 1cm of nothing on the UI-PCB, I wasn't lazy there, this is deliberately choosen. There are also 4 more footprints of LEDs but I think that I do not need them, they will be probably gone when I'm done.
kay_k
So the next main feature is implemented but I had no time to make a video for it.
I also added the module as is to ModularGrid so you can fancy looking at it in your virtual rack. grin
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/lpzw-modules-schleussig-prototype
Paranormal Patroler
I agree with the 8hp shrink by placing jacks on top and buttons on the bottom, that way the jacks are out of the way and will be easier to play in a busy patch. Just my 2 cents as a gigging performer.
uebl
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I agree with the 8hp shrink by placing jacks on top and buttons on the bottom, that way the jacks are out of the way and will be easier to play in a busy patch. Just my 2 cents as a gigging performer.

To be honest: I like the idea of going against the every-module-in-2hp-push; but you may be right: probably a lot more people will consider buying this if it's 8hp instead of 12.
Paranormal Patroler
uebl wrote:

To be honest: I like the idea of going against the every-module-in-2hp-push; but you may be right: probably a lot more people will consider buying this if it's 8hp instead of 12.

There is no such push; each module ought to be the size that is mostly suited for its purpose. The 2hp model is not there to replace other modules with similar functionality, it is there to cater to a market of people who have small cases and would rather fill some voids with smaller, purposeful modules. Why spend 4HP-8HP on a VCA when you need to add just one more channel for your 6U rack?

To answer your post with this design as an example: this module is supposed to serve one purpose, namely to be a playable mute module which will act enhance other gate and trigger modules. I made those two words bold on purpose. Since the module needs to be playable it would best not hinder the user's movements, hence my suggestion to move the jacks away from the buttons (see very recent designs such as ADDAC340 and 305).

In addition to that its main market will (probably) be people who want to be hands-on with the functionality of the module so, a lot of people who play their modular like an instrument. If it's a gigging musician don't expect them to lug a big case around, 6U-12U max unless the gigs aren't that often, or air travel is not necessary. Space is at a premium, even more so when the module is an addition to other modules and does offer a "standalone" functionality; it's an additional tool and thus it will be placed in accordance to what it is accommodating. Making it smaller helps to that end.

This is just my POV, coming from some experience with gigging, UIs and working besides manufacturers. kay_k knows best what is what and what the module should be; I trust the judgement of the designer.
kay_k
10HP is absolutely possible, 8HP should work from the layouts perspective.
BUT I think (at least for me) this is an essential tool in a performance/jam so I think one should really think about if the extra space is worth it.
With 12HP and the current layout my hand fits between the jacks (and my hand is really not Trump-ish)
With some velcro cable straps it should be great and clean for a performance. AND it is a straight forward layout IN->MUTE->OUT no need to think about anything with space for label stickers and all.
Anyway - this is a thing I might decide after I gave the prototype to some people for testing and got their feedback.

One thing I should make clear: The final version will have a RGB printed aluminium panel like all our other modules. The acrylic panel for the prototype was only the save money (and be able to use the remaining LED footprints w/o drilling).

One thing that is also almost decided:
I will change the layout so that you can mute anything with it (triggers, gates, CV and audio with 10Vpp). I have an idea how to do this elegantly but I still need to breadboard it for verification. Especially the impact from the synced unmute to the attack of the audio needs to be checked (i.e. the tau of the slew limiter).

I will probably still use it with triggers but people can do what they want that way.
kay_k
uebl wrote:

There is no such push; each module ought to be the size that is mostly suited for its purpose. The 2hp model is not there to replace other modules with similar functionality, it is there to cater to a market of people who have small cases and would rather fill some voids with smaller, purposeful modules. Why spend 4HP-8HP on a VCA when you need to add just one more channel for your 6U rack?

To answer your post with this design as an example: this module is supposed to serve one purpose, namely to be a playable mute module which will act enhance other gate and trigger modules. I made those two words bold on purpose. Since the module needs to be playable it would best not hinder the user's movements, hence my suggestion to move the jacks away from the buttons (see very recent designs such as ADDAC340 and 305).

In addition to that its main market will (probably) be people who want to be hands-on with the functionality of the module so, a lot of people who play their modular like an instrument. If it's a gigging musician don't expect them to lug a big case around, 6U-12U max unless the gigs aren't that often, or air travel is not necessary. Space is at a premium, even more so when the module is an addition to other modules and does offer a "standalone" functionality; it's an additional tool and thus it will be placed in accordance to what it is accommodating. Making it smaller helps to that end.

This is just my POV, coming from some experience with gigging, UIs and working besides manufacturers. kay_k knows best what is what and what the module should be; I trust the judgement of the designer.

thanks man, your passion is welcome.
I will give myself some weeks for that decision. It seems to be a quite crucial decision for the SCHLEUßIG
Paranormal Patroler
Just my opinion, as stated above. Looking forward to see how you move forward with it!
suboptimal
I love modules like this. Very nice idea.

I agree that with this sort of module it's crucial that the layout helps the module's role as a performance interface. Not that this side-by-side format is unusual, it will just dictate the module's placement to some extent.

Unrelated comment to builders generally: It would be helpful if the first post could open with a single sentence explaining what the module is. There are far too many new modules being announced on the forum with just a video and discussion that launches us into the deep end of the pool without first explaining the basic idea.
Paranormal Patroler
suboptimal wrote:
Unrelated comment to builders generally: It would be helpful if the first post could open with a single sentence explaining what the module is. There are far too many new modules being announced on the forum with just a video and discussion that launches us into the deep end of the pool without first explaining the basic idea.

Good point.
aroom
I totally concur with Paranormal Patroler

I'm sure there is a way to make the switches in an horizontal layout and still get a clear readability.

Because at the end of the day, even if you keep the In / Switch / Out in line for clarity, you still have to remember which goes to which modules, even more if you attach them on each side with velcro.

I don't know if I'm clear, my point being either way you'll have to memorize the destination.
kay_k
aroom wrote:

I don't know if I'm clear, my point being either way you'll have to memorize the destination.

thats why there is space for labels in my layout.

anyway .. I will decide that at some point. I thought of an top/bottom layout already, but we have time for that. I will not change anything before the software isn't bug free and other people tested it.

my son (3yrs) just requested me to add this Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
kay_k

Sync feature!
Paranormal Patroler
Nice! I can see the techno crowd getting interested.
uebl
Cool! Will it have MIDI thru and/or a "normal" clock input?
kay_k
uebl wrote:

Midi Thru isn't planned in the moment. get our WK3 razz
Normal clock in DIN/SYNC format is planned on the midi in TRS jack with a switch on the back of the module. Maybe a second switch for a pre-divider so you can also feed 4ppq instead of 24ppq clock.
uebl
kay_k wrote:
uebl wrote:

Midi Thru isn't planned in the moment. get our WK3 razz
Normal clock in DIN/SYNC format is planned on the midi in TRS jack with a switch on the back of the module. Maybe a second switch for a pre-divider so you can also feed 4ppq instead of 24ppq clock.

Sounds perfectly fine! nanners
kay_k
SO.. next and last feature. build in MIDI-Trigger Converter

.. only a few things to do software wise - the Midi learn mode isn't done and somebody suggested a different approach with the grouping that I want to implement and see if it works nicer.
I've already used the module in regular jams and it really is what I hoped for.
One thing I've to add is an indicator on how close you are the the toggle moment when the sync is set to longer than a bar. blinking LED maybe. Otherwise one can feel lost on how shit will happen.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3