MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Really Good Ideas That Were Never Adopted.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Really Good Ideas That Were Never Adopted.
DanJGW
Feel free to chime in with suggestions; mine is as follows.

I wish there had been a trend that became the norm years ago for modules to have a passive/buffered "CV Thru" jack on the front. Yes, I know you can do the same with stackables and mults but think about it, there's room for an extra out jack on most modules and it would've make logical sense and sometimes potentially less spaghetti.
Trebbers
Sensible power connectors.
Standard voltages for triggers, envelopes, gates.
Multichannel connector for poly modules.
Orwell
Adapters and power for Buchla modules and serge
Kinda like what Buchla did with their eurorack blade adapters
ignatius
a bot feature on the forum that scans for duplicate/similar/multiple same topic posts and combines them no matter how old.
Xtheunknown
WMD standalone PLL module...
moremagic
DanJGW wrote:

I wish there had been a trend that became the norm years ago for modules to have a passive/buffered "CV Thru" jack on the front. Yes, I know you can do the same with stackables and mults but think about it, there's room for an extra out jack on most modules and it would've make logical sense and sometimes potentially less spaghetti.
you only want modules with a single CV input or is there something im missing
Blairio
Patch Cable holders? I'm pretty sure you could make one that only used up 2hp of rack space.

Or, small lights on goosenecks that illuminate your modular rig? Again, maybe these could be implemented in 2hp.
Jumbuktu
Blairio wrote:
Patch Cable holders? I'm pretty sure you could make one that only used up 2hp of rack space.

Or, small lights on goosenecks that illuminate your modular rig? Again, maybe these could be implemented in 2hp.

Didn't Synthwerks do this already?
Blairio
Jumbuktu wrote:
Blairio wrote:

You are right -

http://www.ersatzplanet.com/Synthwerks/usb-lamp-family.html
Futuresound
Blairio wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:
Blairio wrote:

You are right -

And I have a Lamp1 for sale wink

CV thru is great, I loved it when I had a WMD Amplitude.
Futuresound
Blairio wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:
Blairio wrote:

You are right -

And I have a Lamp1 for sale wink

CV thru is great, I loved it when I had a WMD Amplitude.
Paranormal Patroler
ignatius wrote:
a bot feature on the forum that scans for duplicate/similar/multiple same topic posts and combines them no matter how old.

This. Thank you!
kay_k
Jumbuktu wrote:
Blairio wrote:

I've set from Koma
DanJGW
moremagic wrote:
DanJGW wrote:

you only want modules with a single CV input or is there something im missing

CV output, not input. You could still have as many inputs as you like and so on a module with multiple ins either only one goes to thru or sum or difference maybe.
moremagic
DanJGW wrote:
You could still have as many inputs as you like and so on a module with multiple ins either only one goes to thru or sum or difference maybe.
this is the part im not getting, but ive never played without stackcables wink
arfo
The z3000mk1 has a buffered cv thru on its v/oct input - I was using it all the time.

A variant on that is what the a-188-1 has, which sums both cv ins with the main knob to provide you with a cv output that mirrors everything that's happening to the delay clock.
dubonaire
DanJGW wrote:

Oh you mean like Doepfer who invented the format. problem is for the last five years everyone has complained that his modules are too big and aren't covered in illegible text.

DanJGW
dubonaire wrote:
DanJGW wrote:

Oh you mean like Doepfer who invented the format. problem is for the last five years everyone has complained that his modules are too big and aren't covered in illegible text.

No, you're not understanding.

Say you run a lfo into a vco to modulate PWM, what I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice if all vco's had an extra output called 'CV thru' which mean you could then patch that into a reverb delay maybe.
starthief
That would just make every module larger and more expensive, regardless of whether you really wanted to patch that input to something else. Better to have mults or stackables or the star hub things.

o_C would need 20 jacks instead of 12. E370 would need 44 jacks instead of 24.
DMR
DanJGW wrote:

No, you're not understanding.

Say you run a lfo into a vco to modulate PWM, what I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice if all vco's had an extra output called 'CV thru' which mean you could then patch that into a reverb delay maybe.

I think the Doepfer A-175 jacks are exactly what you are describing. The two jacks are NOT mixed and sent to the inverter, but are rather a mini multiple. From the A-175 manual (http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A175_man.pdf):

Doepfer wrote:

Sockets 1 and 2 are the internally linked inputs for the A-175. This is where you patch in the signal you want to invert. Since in practice you very often need the original signal as well as its inversion (see user examples), you can use the second socket as a mini-multiple.

A number of other Doepfer modules have this feature.
gonkulator
DanJGW wrote:

I like the idea, though others have pointed out the practical limitations of it. I am curious as to why no one has implemented that on a module as you describe - built in to an otherwise independently purposed module. I doubt it would be much of a selling point now as things are. Though, if it had been part of all modules from the beginning, we would now probably be talking about how about we dispense with the CV throughs to save space/cost and use separate mult hubs.
DanJGW
gonkulator wrote:
DanJGW wrote:

I like the idea, though others have pointed out the practical limitations of it. I am curious as to why no one has implemented that on a module as you describe - built in to an otherwise independently purposed module. I doubt it would be much of a selling point now as things are. Though, if it had been part of all modules from the beginning, we would now probably be talking about how about we dispense with the CV throughs to save space/cost and use separate mult hubs.

Hallelujah- someone understands!
It's not something that have would be practical for every module of course but it would certainly maximise your modulation possibilities.
lm13700
The blue lantern modules I have implemented thru jacks on trigger inputs, and clock inputs. They did this many years ago. The simple adsr for example has a gate input with thru jack. It works great when products have this. The daisy chaining is more organized.
Bob Borries
I can think of one...

strangegravity
Use the Gate bus specified in the Euro power specifications to send gates/clocks to modules behind the panels.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2