MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best "random" <4hp?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best "random" <4hp?
wirelesswine
So I am squeezing down to a small travel case and looking at best 2 to 4hp "random" modules. I have owned wobblebug and sapel. Looking at Nanorand (discontinued but still around) and 2HP Random or perhaps one of the Pico modules? What is the most interesting, flexible and "usable"?

Thanks in advance for your input!
PatchMonger
Hi I have a nanorand and I absolutely love it! My system is quite small so space is an issue for me. Every now and then you can find then available second hand. Definitely recommended. By the way my only two "random" modules are nanorand and turing machine and they complement each other brilliantly well
cptnal
Does clocked random count? Pam's has 8 and is 8hp. That's 1hp per random. You could of course use the other 7 for something else.
joem
I think when you're considering 4hp or less for a random source, you need to have an idea of what you want from your random source and then find one that fits you needs. Do you want random gates? Random CV? Both? If both, which do you want more of? Do you want any CV control, like over the clock or over the spread? Do you want any knobs? Or do you want as many outputs as possible?
RoaFL
I've found the Pico RND to be the most conducive to my needs and it also has a straight up LFO, which is nice for the size.
I also use Harvestman modules which are usually 15-17-19 HP and the Pico helps even things out, so to speak.
It's a great bang-of-buck module.
beepbeep
Depending on what you want to do, disting as some useful random algorithms.
ShieldEyesFromLight
I love my Nano Rand. You can find them used, just can tak ea bit of time and effort. I use it a lot for more than just random.
Foghorn
As was said in earlier posts, you need to define what type of random you want and what you need it for.
I have a 2HP TM (Turing Machine). It is not the best Turing Machine in the world but it does what a TM is supposed to do.
I do not use it to make melodies, I use it to make modulation (that may be a little melodic).

2HP makes a pretty neat RND module, but I like the 3HP Pico RND better.
These are probably 2 of the best bets for you unless you can handle a 4HP module.
The rest of what I am going to list is 4HP.
Synthrotek RND works pretty good.
I like the Ladik R-120 Random even better.
Another module that I just bought, like the TM is not exactly random, but is great at making modulation.
The Ladik S-143_ 4 event sequencer.
An added bonus it makes great basslines, as well as modulation of sorts.
If you can find one, the Qu-bit Nano-Rand is a great module.
It has an internal clock but can be clocked externally.
When clocked externally, the clock out has what is called a "clock Randomizer".
The clock output is "musically random" where it adds little extra clock beats and rests when set on low to triplets and some hearty syncopation when set on high.
I use this feature quite often.
At the far end of the spectrum you could record something that sounds random on a Radio Music and play it back.

Foghorn
Chickonies
The disting is a fantastic way to fill 4hp no matter what you need.

I'll also put in a recommendation for the 2hp TM module for generating random melodies. You can attenuate the output range, set the loop length, and lock the pattern with the knobs or with cv.
Brennanib
I have the nano rand aswell and has done great things for my system workflow/inspiration really love that you can randomize the algorithms with cv really useful for just madness or at slow rates for for random spice
michaelfbates
RoaFL wrote:
I've found the Pico RND to be the most conducive to my needs and it also has a straight up LFO, which is nice for the size.

+1 for the Pico RND, very powerful for it's size and nice that it's clockable as well.
TheSolenoids
You might also look at Synthrotek's 4HP RND module. It's a clocked random sample and hold. I find its sliders very nice in performance.
pugix
I like the 2hp RND. It does not provide a noise source, if that's is one of your needs. But it does other things very well in 2 HP.

http://pugix.com/synth/2hp-rnd-module/
JakoGreyshire
michaelfbates wrote:
+1 for the Pico RND, very powerful for it's size and nice that it's clockable as well.

I just got a Pico RND and was using it last night for the first time...

I thought the Clock in was broken/ not working....

I read the "manual" ... Tried to trouble shoot it with different trigger duty cycles putting the rate knob in different positions... and nothing was changing the rate except the rate knob.... hmmm.....

Disappointed that I thought I had a lemon. I called the store and, the clerk remembered that other Erica synths modules needed the knob to be set at 12:00 o'clock for external CVs to be effective! He went to his floor model and tested out his theory....
Sure enough it was as he said. d'oh! Now why is that not in the Erica "manual"? seriously, i just don't get it I was scratching my head and trying to troubleshoot this module for a half hour until I gave up.

Now I'm looking for a reason why to keep it. I would like to just plug in a clock and not have to remember that the rate knob needs to be set at 12 o'clock.... meh.. Kind of disenchanted by the thing... zombie

anyone got anything to turn this around on me?

@michaelfbates Did you have trouble find out how to clock the pico RND at first?

(EDIT later in the day..) Plugged the Pico RNDs outputs into Mordax Data.... Played around with it... It's actually a pretty spot on little module...
What I discovered is that there are white segments around the rate knob and while externally clocked, the rate knob won't divide or multiply until it goes into a new white segment.... So you don't have to have the knob perfectly at 12:00 to get it clocked normally. You can see where the knob is visually at a glance....

So glad my module dealer is a smart one...(not that others aren't smart) It's peanut butter jelly time!

I hope this is not too off topic...
Drilldoughzer
The synthrotek RND is fun to use and easy to build.
morgve
No love for the Brain Seed?

Depends what you want to do, but it's a really great module - love mine.
i had a nano rand. honestly, that is probably your best bet. fantastic little module. i sold it and currently have a pico rnd at the moment which is working great for me. if you can locate a nano rand though, id grab that if you can.
natureclubcassettes
another vote for nano rand
alanza
My thoughts would be MI Kinks or 2hp S+H
Xinod
Differences between pico rnd and 2hp rnd? Apart from the former having noise/s&h/lfo. By reading the 2 manuals it looks like the 2hp one has a probability control while the pico is missing it. Worth it? considering it costs 50% more...
pugix
Xinod wrote:
Differences between pico rnd and 2hp rnd? Apart from the former having noise/s&h/lfo. By reading the 2 manuals it looks like the 2hp one has a probability control while the pico is missing it. Worth it? considering it costs 50% more...

I have the 2hp RND.

Looking at the Pico RND manual, one big difference is that the internal clock is just manual, 0.1 to 20 Hz. Although it does say the Clock In can SYNC the internal LFO. But what's the range? The manual says that the random Pulse output rate (probability) is set by the rate control. It has a Sine wave LFO output, and a White Noise output. Note: It does not have a S&H input. Is it sampling the white noise?

Can someone with a Pico RND answer these questions? Esp. about the clock sync.

2hp clock is voltage controlled. Also, the AMP (amplitude) pot on the 2hp is extremely useful. The VC clock is the decider for me. And I like the way the internal vs. external clocking is designed.
christie
Another vote for 2hp rand - Ive used it in two different racks. Pretty full featured.

I do wish I got a nano rand when they were readily available though.
danfastlikeflan
How about arc? Three hp for tuned digital and analogue noise. Plus random pulses
pugix wrote:
Xinod wrote:

I have the 2hp RND.

Looking at the Pico RND manual, one big difference is that the internal clock is just manual, 0.1 to 20 Hz. Although it does say the Clock In can SYNC the internal LFO. But what's the range? The manual says that the random Pulse output rate (probability) is set by the rate control. It has a Sine wave LFO output, and a White Noise output. Note: It does not have a S&H input. Is it sampling the white noise?

Can someone with a Pico RND answer these questions? Esp. about the clock sync.

2hp clock is voltage controlled. Also, the AMP (amplitude) pot on the 2hp is extremely useful. The VC clock is the decider for me. And I like the way the internal vs. external clocking is designed.

I can't answer the clock sync questions as I haven't really had the need for that functionality yet. I just got it recently and have only used it in a few patches. I can confirm the s+h pulls from the internal noise source though.
Bjarlstedt
I'm lurking at S-090 from Ladik. Any love for that one?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2