MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010 music synthbox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 1010 music synthbox
Jumbuktu
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/1010-music-synthbox

Just saw this on modulargrid. Has it been around for a while and I just missed it?
Timmy
Jumbuktu wrote:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/1010-music-synthbox

Just saw this on modulargrid. Has it been around for a while and I just missed it?

Not available until 2nd October 2017, the 1010 web site says. But yeah, it looks very tasty indeed.
DruidTek
I beta tested this and it sounds huge and the modulation possibilities are deep. It reminds me a lot of my Virus TI2, with the wavetables / sub oscillator & dual filters.
1010music
Bitbox, fxbox, and synthbox share the same hardware.

The synthbox software is available now as a free update to bitbox or fxbox. The hardware with the synthbox front panel is still a few days out.

Thank you for your support.
cityz3n
It really sounds great!

http://youtu.be/0lZ6guXMKNg
Anechoic
The three options of sample, fx, or synth look great.
Apart from the front panel, what else is different between the hardwares?
Im thinking for example of SD card contents, display colour ecc.
1010music
Anechoic wrote:
The three options of sample, fx, or synth look great.
Apart from the front panel, what else is different between the hardwares?

The hardware on each of these is the same. The included firmware and content are different. So is the quick start guide. You can download all of this from our forums upon registering.

Thank you.
rayultine
1010: are the converters and display on the xyzbox fast enough to act as an oscilloscope? Are inputs DC coupled? Cause that would be an amazing alt firmware
1010music
rayultine wrote:
1010: are the converters and display on the xyzbox fast enough to act as an oscilloscope? Are inputs DC coupled? Cause that would be an amazing alt firmware

The current version has AC coupled inputs, so an oscilloscope is impractical. We will keep your suggestion in mind for next time. Thanks for making it.
Trooper Starship
The Synthbox realy sounds great, the only lack is loading new sounds, that takes 5-7 seconds.

Would also be good, if one can use it as 4 monos with separate modulations.
SunSpots
Can someone tell me a little bit about this? If I switch from one sound to the next because I'm trying to use these devices as a huge Performance Set up then do I have all sorts of delay in between switching sounds and presets?
Trooper
I tried it only shortly, because i wanted the Bitbox, but i think the FX are saved with the sound, also like modulations with the LFOs.
SunSpots
What I mean to say is how quickly can this system change from one preset sound to the next preset sound? Is there a 5 second delay in changing presets or is it instantaneous? Also is there any way to see CV control the preset changing?
2disbetter
As of right now it takes around 2-5 seconds for a sound change. The GUI will say it is still loading but if you start hitting keys the sound is already there usually a second or two after hitting load.

I don't believe because of all of the various components of each sound (filter, envelopes, lfos, effects, modulation, etc.) that quick loading like braids or plonk is really all that practical/possible.

It really is much more like a full synth than a mere oscillator.

2d
DruidTek
2disbetter wrote:
As of right now it takes around 2-5 seconds for a sound change. The GUI will say it is still loading but if you start hitting keys the sound is already there usually a second or two after hitting load.

Yes, it has to load all 4 voices separately, and there's 12 oscillators in total, plus all of the other stuff, like you say... That's why it takes a few seconds, I think.
DruidTek
So far my favourite feature of synthbox is how things can be modulated in both positive and negative values by 3 different sources at once. Using this in conjunction with the dual filters/envelopes leads to some really deep and expressive sounds!
2disbetter
DruidTek wrote:
So far my favourite feature of synthbox is how things can be modulated in both positive and negative values by 3 different sources at once. Using this in conjunction with the dual filters/envelopes leads to some really deep and expressive sounds!

Absolutely! I just plugged in gate, cv, velocity, and aftertouch into the synthbox and out of the box (inconjunction with a expert sleeper fh-1) was getting full MPE based expression out of it. Was very nice and surprisingly convenient to have all of the components (filter, envelopes, etc.) within one module.

2d
hippasus
This module sounds very interesting, could somebody tell me if audio rate modulation at the cv inputs is possible. I am thinking on fm.
1010music
hippasus wrote:
This module sounds very interesting, could somebody tell me if audio rate modulation at the cv inputs is possible. I am thinking on fm.

Hippasus,

I am sorry to report that the CV inputs are at a slower rate suitable for LFOs and envelopes. You'll have to find another way to do FM.

Thanks for the question,

Aaron
pauk
hi Aaron,
would it be possible to make fm internally possible modulating the pitch of a VCO with one of the others?
we're not worthy
DruidTek
Flipped UI mode for synthbox is now available for registered users.

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/products/firmware-downloads/synthbox -firmware-downloads/1297-synthbox-1-0-5-beta
dbeats
I'm surprised there is almost no discussion here about this module - or am I overlooking something?

Anyway, here are my first impressions. I am normally running a bitbox firmware on my series 1 module, but wanted to give synthbox a try.

Synthbox is not as self-explanatory as bitbox, IMO, especially the 4 voices architecture. Almost impossible to understand without reading the manual. I mean, no problem with manuals, just saying.

You can choose input routing between
- "Global", ie 1 set of cv inputs in common for all 4 voices. Only makes sense, at least to me, when using MIDI inputs, because then you have 4x polyphony, whereas with cv/gate inputs you end up with 4 copies of exactly the same single monophone voice (really?)

- "Per Voice", ie 4 sets of cv inputs for 4 voices, 1 set for each voice. Mostly makes sense, at least to me, when using cv/gate inputs, because with MIDI inputs you still have 4x polyphony but the flow of notes then "cycles" through 4 different sets of cv modulation - quite unusual.

In either mode, all 4 voices share the same identical sound configuration: the selection of 2 wavetables plus 1 osc, base note, mix levels, even the mapping of the 2 universal lfo's and 2 eg's as well as 3 ext cv mod inputs. You cannot configure a single voice separately. This is probably the biggest surprise, and also a bit disappointing.

So, in "Per Voice" mode, you could play chords using different note cv's (from Triad, for example) and mult the single gate.

Or you could map one of the mod cv input columns 1-3 to pitch (you would have to do this separately for each wavetable and the osc btw) and use a different cv in each row to get a hover or drone sound. You'd also need to physically mult to all note and gate cv ins. You cannot detune or FM the individual voices directly.

Apart from that, I found the built-in lfo's a bit restrictive: the frequency range is specified as 0.1hz - 12hz, and it cannot be modulated. I found most presets to be rather experimental for my taste. And because of the general concept of menu diving and context sensitive knobs, it was all in all a bit difficult for me to get where I wanted, although I wouldn't really call this a complex module either.

Having said all that, I still think this firmware has a lot of potential and sounds quite nice. And comes free of charge for bitbox users. applause
rayultine
dbeats wrote:
you cannot configure a single voice separately. This is probably the biggest surprise, and also a bit disappointing.

So, in "Per Voice" mode, you could play chords using different note cv's (from Triad, for example) and mult the single gate.

... You cannot detune or FM the individual voices directly.

Really? I asked a question about this on the 1010 forum (I don't have a v1 xyzbox yet - so close to saving the $ though!) and I interpreted Aaron's answer as the synthbox could behave like the Korg Mono/Poly where each successive note would cycle through the four voices.
pre55ure
rayultine wrote:
dbeats wrote:
you cannot configure a single voice separately. This is probably the biggest surprise, and also a bit disappointing.

... You cannot detune or FM the individual voices directly.

Really? I asked a question about this on the 1010 forum (I don't have a v1 xyzbox yet - so close to saving the $ though!) and I interpreted Aaron's answer as the synthbox could behave like the Korg Mono/Poly where each successive note would cycle through the four voices.

Thats sort of accurate. It does cycle through the four voices, and each voice can have different mod sources connected - so if you had four different (external) envelopes controlling the cutoff frequency of the filter, you would be able to cycle through and hear each voice responding differently to the external modulation. But... it isn't multitimbral. So you can't have a different patch using different oscillators etc... on each voice. (Would be awesome if you could).

I was really not expecting much from synthbox, it took me a long time to even bother trying the firmware. I have a lot of "real" synths hihi
and didn't see what synthbox would bring to the table. That being said - I was pleasantly surprised. I think that Aaron and co. made a good decision to use wavetables as the oscillators, as it kind of sets it apart from the other "all in one" semi modular synths available in euro. In some ways it reminds me a lot of an esq-1 in a tiny box, in my rack! (Which is awesome btw... I LOVE the Esq-1). The editing is a bit like the elektrons, 1 screen for each subsection, and if you know synths it's pretty fast and intuitive. There is definitely still stuff to improve, and tbh I'm not sure that I would buy synthbox in it's current state if you didn't get bitbox included for the price. But overall I think it's a really nice addition to the line, and I hope that they continue to work on it, it has alot of potential.
2disbetter
One thing I think that should be mentioned is that the synthbox works intuitively with mpe control either via cv (5 inputs per voice) or via midi through a proprietary TRS to DIN cable. You can map the inputs to essentially anything

It is a synth completely contained in the module that just happens to exist in the eurorack format. Pretty great.

2d
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2