MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Talk me out of an Oberheim TVS Pro vs Eurorack - bugs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Talk me out of an Oberheim TVS Pro vs Eurorack - bugs?
nikarga
Hi all,

I am on the fence about this guy.. i went into a shop, tried it out and loved it. I have about £3,000 to drop on a piece of kit and was thinking to build a second 6U in eurorack or to buy this guy...

But I am worried the small outfit may not be particularly reliable. I've read a number for posts on the net suggesting the firmware is a bit buggy and that the sequencer is somewhat gimmicky.

Is it worth the price, and have the bugs been ironed out? My God that sound...

Thank you!
Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Dave Peck
Maybe get just a SEM with patch points? That way, you get the sound, and it's easy to interface it with your modular. And it doesn't include any of the aspects of the TVS that see to be the subject of the complaints. And it's way cheaper.

nikarga
I've had a look at this and it looks appealing. But i'd have to get 2 to replicate the TVS Pro, I'd miss out on the mini sequencer which, with the updated firmware seems more straigtforward, and Id miss on the LFO i suppose...

I have a Cirklon incoming so I guess the sequencing is taken care of...

Hmmm...
Dave Peck
...don't know if you've seen this Euro rack version of the SEM, but I was very intrigued by it when I saw it at NAMM. I'm surprised it has not yet been released. Not sure what the story is with that... but anyway, for your viewing pleasure:

Note that it adds triangle waveforms to both oscs, changes the envelopes to ADSR type, and adds more features to the LFO.
nikarga
I have seen it l.

Although personally dont think it will come to mass production... especially as we havent seen any news on it since. Remember the Son of a a 4 Voice? That was shelved forever... in similar fashion.
jdkee
I was at Knobcon the past Sunday and Tom was doing an AMA. When asked about his latest synth, he said the Euro SEM would be out next spring or thereabouts.

Also, I have an early Marion Systems TVP and have had no issues with it whatsoever. The firmware is up to v1.4 and is bug free as far as I can tell.

YMMV.
dubnspace
jdkee wrote:
I was at Knobcon the past Sunday and Tom was doing an AMA. When asked about his latest synth, he said the Euro SEM would be out next spring or thereabouts.

As he's said for the last 3 years now...

Also, I have no issues with my TVP either.. I'd get one while you can.
nikarga
beige or black is the question ?????? MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
337is
Go beige or go home. ;-)

Chiming in to say my TVP is a dream for me, and I love all aspects of it ... playing the keyboard is a joy. Sequencing can be finicky, but it's so rewarding once it comes together.

That said, I routinely find myself in a motif and thinking "just one more! one more note of polyphony and I'll be happy forever!"

With that in mind, and having spoken at length with Tom over the past few years about his euro offerings, I think his euro entry will please many as he has credible plans for expanding polyphony.

tldr: I would jump on a TVP, and also start saving for his euro line if polyphony beyond 2 voices matters to you.
nikarga
I kind of feel the same way regarding colour but I am being told they only make them in black for the time being... i could source a display model but its an early model and the whole "tomoberheim.com" logo on the faceplates bugs the hell out of me aesthetically.

So I'd have to settle for a black one - which somewhat annoys me because I prefer the beige?! Am i crazy?

I still dont think eurorack is going to come... but hey, i hope im proved wrong.
nikarga
Went ahead and bought a black one... had to swap it out after attempting a firmware update to fix a keyboard transpose issue which bricked the keys!

Have had a few back and forths with Tom who was meant to call me and flaked twice. Comm is not good, which is to be expected from a one man show.

My interaction with him has led me to believe he’s about to close shop - at 82yrs of age he’s already achieved hall of fame status.

I wouldnt be surprised if production ceased at the end of the year or shortly thereafter. You can forget eurorack modules...

This is all just speculation based on my own experience - but you heard it here first hihi

He is a legend and I just want to say Tom thank you for your epic contribution to sound and synthesis.. and for the massive creativity your sound has inspired.

Despite its shortcomings, the TVS is a beast that has already become my favourite piece of hardware in the studio. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1