MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best part about analogue synths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Best part about analogue synths
rvbeers
No fucking software licenses.
cptnal
lol Liberating, what?

Made me laugh anyway.
cornutt
I've got digital synths and digital modules that don't require any licenses. I assume you're talking about software. That's a legit gripe; software vendors in general have made a mess of things regarding licensing, and there's no sign that it's getting any better.
cptnal
Just brought back memories of those fecking dongles zombie
rvbeers
cornutt wrote:
I've got digital synths and digital modules that don't require any licenses. I assume you're talking about software. That's a legit gripe; software vendors in general have made a mess of things regarding licensing, and there's no sign that it's getting any better.

Indeed. The day they bring license activations to digital modules, I will never buy one again.
Eric the Red
No software / firmware updates or upgrades and you don't need a super computer to run them. You really don't need something amazon, from the perspective of a computer - with the exception of my work laptop, I haven't owned a computer/laptop in almost 10 years. I finally got one to use with a CNC Mill...

I do not count iPads/tablets as computers...
slow_riot
I never used a dongle, but the simulation package I use to design analogue synths which I sold a bunch of my analogue synths to afford (£3000) uses a dongle. It hasn't caused an issue except for the paranoia of breaking it due to the possible cost of replacing it. I didn't break the dongle yet and I've used the software for 1000s of hours of R&D, it's my main axe.

For me, what left a sour note about the VST scene was 3 things.

1) manufacturers going AWOL after forking out £100s for products, e.g. Link @ Devine Machine which then became worthless.

2) Manufacturers charging £100s for products (e.g. Sonalksis, Fab Filter) then completely destroying the resale value by having 80+% sales.

3) Manufacturers selling their products to another company (e.g. Camel Audio) leaving their customers as in the first 2 scenarios, fucked.

I don't feel like it's fair to let those people tarnish that industry when U-He, Native Instruments etc. are running excellent companies with totally fair pricing structures and resale policies.

BTW, I would personally judge the hardware modular scene by what happens in 5-10 years when parts with limited lifespans start to fail and how the repair process has been factored into the design of the product and structuring of the company.
Chopper
Filters (sue me....)
rvbeers
two days without DAW now, all because Akai/AIR/VIP decided to nag me to update to VIP 3

- all my synth licenses were revoked
- not clear that now all synths work with a new licence key, shared with all synths. Had to learn this by contacting support.
- Except for eightyeight (piano synth) that just refused to re-activate, because "activation limits reached".

result: contacting Akai support, they will fix 88 license, but it will take 24 hours... Reinstalled all other synths, re-activated all licenses. Still Logic plays NO SOUND because the 88 license is still not ok.

It is a crying shame that people accept this crap, Logic pro wholly useless because of a single license issue that remains.
Outtatune
Thread title might be "Best part about hardware synths."

Today will be my third attempt at getting the 14 day trial of Roland Cloud to work on my laptop... purely so I can decide if I should buy the the hardware JU06 and D05. I just want to hear what they sound like first (more or less) and have a go at some programming!

The few other VSTs I use were easy.

I use software all day at work, but for music after hours I'm generally a hardware guy... near instant gratification!
leeski
is playing them nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1