MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pickup noise and power supplies - DI box?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Pickup noise and power supplies - DI box?
Rosaria
deleted
prscrptn
Single coil pickups are noisy, a humbucker would help. You can try mounting your pickup in an enclosure with copper foil to create a faraday cage, which would reduce EMI. Not having a hi-z input on your interface means you are not impedance matching which adds a significant amount of noise. I would suggest checking out the Eventide - MixingLink which will give you line output with variable gain and several other options.
Rosaria
deleted
prscrptn
Lifting ground will help but the majority of noise is probably from the unshielded pickup.
Rosaria
deleted
forestcaver
Maybe too obvious but have you connected pickup ground to the string/bridge? If you havent, that can be a significant cause of noise.... (when you say "piece of string" I presume you mean an *electric* guitar string ie ferrous if you are using a magnetic single coil pickup....). As I say, apologies if this is too obvious and basic....
Rosaria
deleted
Frendy
Must be single coils. Not much you can do maybe you could add some shielding around the pickups
Another simple point is to check string to pickup distance - the furher away the pickup is, the lower the signal and signal to noise ratio (too close and the magnets will dampen the string). With electric guitars that I own and have built, I line he pickup cavities with copper foil.
Rosaria
deleted
futureman
Im not an engineer by any means, but are you not also getting noise from a motor running near the pickup? I would have imagined you'd get all kinds of noise from stray flux, not to mention noise from inductive kickback when youre starting and stopping or changing the speed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1