MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Want some advice on my first rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Want some advice on my first rack
I_have_no_idea
My rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/505621
My case: https://www.thomannmusic.com/doepfer_a_10moneygrabbing9v_low_cost_case _ve.htm

I plan on making ambient & techno type stuff and patching stuff and having fun. Thanks in advance. I have the Mother
NotHerbert
I'm pretty new myself, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Overall, it looks like a pretty solid plan. I just have a few nitpicks/suggestions:
1. People starting out (myself included a few months back) tend to assume that they need ADSRs for envelopes, but it seems like more experienced people tend to have mostly AD/ASR EGs in their racks, with relatively few ADSRs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have them, just that you might not need as many as you think.
2. Euclidean Circles looks really cool, but it should be noted that Pamela's New Workout also does euclidean rhythms. The interface isn't as direct and immediate as EC, but it does other stuff like clock multiplication/division, synced LFOs, and envelopes, and takes up less hp.
3. I wouldn't use rack space for a passive mult. Those ninja star splitter dealies work fine. You might want an active mult, though.
4. Peaks is discontinued, but you might still be able to find it in stores, or get a used one.
5. I've never heard of Loafers before. 4 LFOs in 12 hp isn't too bad. A very popular choice these days is Batumi, which saves you 2 hp and has some cool features like clock sync and quatrature. I don't have one yet, but I plan to get one at some point.
6. If you freed up 6 hp, you could swap Peaks for Ornament and Crime. o_C has an envelope application that is derived from the Peaks firmware, and gives you 4 envelopes instead of 2. Be warned that if you have one, you'll probably want to use it for the other cool stuff it can do besides envelopes, though. You could free space by:
a) Getting rid of the Synthrotek ADSR
b) Getting rid of the 2hp ADSR
c) Swapping EC for PNW
d) Losing the passive mult
e) Swapping Loafers for Batumi
So you have some flexibility there.

Also, this should go in the eurorack forum. I'm sure the mods will move it.
I_have_no_idea
NotHerbert wrote:
I'm pretty new myself, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Overall, it looks like a pretty solid plan. I just have a few nitpicks/suggestions:
1. People starting out (myself included a few months back) tend to assume that they need ADSRs for envelopes, but it seems like more experienced people tend to have mostly AD/ASR EGs in their racks, with relatively few ADSRs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have them, just that you might not need as many as you think.
2. Euclidean Circles looks really cool, but it should be noted that Pamela's New Workout also does euclidean rhythms. The interface isn't as direct and immediate as EC, but it does other stuff like clock multiplication/division, synced LFOs, and envelopes, and takes up less hp.
3. I wouldn't use rack space for a passive mult. Those ninja star splitter dealies work fine. You might want an active mult, though.
4. Peaks is discontinued, but you might still be able to find it in stores, or get a used one.
5. I've never heard of Loafers before. 4 LFOs in 12 hp isn't too bad. A very popular choice these days is Batumi, which saves you 2 hp and has some cool features like clock sync and quatrature. I don't have one yet, but I plan to get one at some point.
6. If you freed up 6 hp, you could swap Peaks for Ornament and Crime. o_C has an envelope application that is derived from the Peaks firmware, and gives you 4 envelopes instead of 2. Be warned that if you have one, you'll probably want to use it for the other cool stuff it can do besides envelopes, though. You could free space by:
a) Getting rid of the Synthrotek ADSR
b) Getting rid of the 2hp ADSR
c) Swapping EC for PNW
d) Losing the passive mult
e) Swapping Loafers for Batumi
So you have some flexibility there.

Also, this should go in the eurorack forum. I'm sure the mods will move it.

1) I think i might want to keep the asdr (at least the big one; I'll think about that)
2)I can probably get more out of the circles but the workout is way more practical (updated)
3)forgot about those cables
4)good to know
5)well it's smaller and has 4 lfos so why not (updated)
6)it seems complicated but i can figure it out (updated)

thanks alot man/woman/attack helicopter
mirth23
(I think what I'm looking at may be a bit different than what NotHerbert was looking at)

Aside from the Mother 32, you have 5 oscillators and only one filter, three fx modules, no shapers, etc. That means you'll end up with a lot of raw sounds which you'll have to deal with in external fx or in a DAW.

Combine the above with the drum modules and you have quite a few voices. You can probably get away with this if you're planning to use several channels in an external mixer, but if you're expecting to mix down in rack, you're missing that capability if you're planning to run everything at once.

There also isn't very much modulation for the number of voices that are in this rack.

My general advice to anyone starting out is to only buy a few of these things to start out with to get a sense for what you want to do. Based on what's in there now you could spend a lot of time with the Mother 32, Maths, Batumi, Veils, another oscillator, and a couple of those fx modules.
I_have_no_idea
mirth23 wrote:
(I think what I'm looking at may be a bit different than what NotHerbert was looking at)

Aside from the Mother 32, you have 5 oscillators and only one filter, three fx modules, no shapers, etc. That means you'll end up with a lot of raw sounds which you'll have to deal with in external fx or in a DAW.

Combine the above with the drum modules and you have quite a few voices. You can probably get away with this if you're planning to use several channels in an external mixer, but if you're expecting to mix down in rack, you're missing that capability if you're planning to run everything at once.

There also isn't very much modulation for the number of voices that are in this rack.

My general advice to anyone starting out is to only buy a few of these things to start out with to get a sense for what you want to do. Based on what's in there now you could spend a lot of time with the Mother 32, Maths, Batumi, Veils, another oscillator, and a couple of those fx modules.

I plan to run it to a 2i4 and on the buying part that was my plan
Djumpmonkey
That is a whole lot of stuff. Dont get them all at once if you are just starting out. Just grab the M32 our enough of the modules you are interested in to create a basic voice. Youre just starting out, and the learning curve is immense. Experience will almost certainly drastically alter your view.
uniquepersonno2
I really don't like the Synthrotek ADSR. Super lofi, clicky on short attack/release, and jumps between stages. I feel there are better options and sold mine quite soon after purchasing.

Also, you could definitely use more filters, as was mentioned before. All the Doepfer filters are great and cheap if you need somewhere to start.
I_have_no_idea
Djumpmonkey wrote:
That is a whole lot of stuff. Dont get them all at once if you are just starting out. Just grab the M32 our enough of the modules you are interested in to create a basic voice. Youre just starting out, and the learning curve is immense. Experience will almost certainly drastically alter your view.

sorry I didn't put this but i have the mother
I_have_no_idea
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
I really don't like the Synthrotek ADSR. Super lofi, clicky on short attack/release, and jumps between stages. I feel there are better options and sold mine quite soon after purchasing.

Also, you could definitely use more filters, as was mentioned before. All the Doepfer filters are great and cheap if you need somewhere to start.

Thanks for this i will change it; honestly i am having cold feet on the wogglebug should i replace it?
natureclubcassettes
agreed this is way too much stuff. and the comment about ADSRs. Too many voices too.
I_have_no_idea
natureclubcassettes wrote:
agreed this is way too much stuff. and the comment about ADSRs. Too many voices too.

get rid of some voices? got it; which ones?
folpon
If you're just starting out I would ditch both uBraids, and probably the Dixies, too. The chances that you get overwhelmed here seem pretty high. You could easily spend an entire day wrapping your head around all the million things you can do with the m32 and a Maths. I would focus on a couple modules and just explore them really deeply. Clouds and Ripples are great. Clouds can be deep if you want it to, but it also has very simple uses (reverb) that sound great without much effort. Maths will really help you stretch your mind around what it means to patch, imo. (Disclosure, I'm vaguely new at this as well, but that's my two cents anyway fwiw)
folpon
deleted double post
I_have_no_idea
folpon wrote:
If you're just starting out I would ditch both uBraids, and probably the Dixies, too. The chances that you get overwhelmed here seem pretty high. You could easily spend an entire day wrapping your head around all the million things you can do with the m32 and a Maths. I would focus on a couple modules and just explore them really deeply. Clouds and Ripples are great. Clouds can be deep if you want it to, but it also has very simple uses (reverb) that sound great without much effort. Maths will really help you stretch your mind around what it means to patch, imo. (Disclosure, I'm vaguely new at this as well, but that's my two cents anyway fwiw)
Ok i made a compromise I don't know what I replaced it with is good but there you go
U.S.ynthuser
money, money ! That's an expensive rig, especially if just starting out.
You'll likely get confused & not know what your doing unless you have a decent amount of know how with modular synths. Id reccomend starting small with m32 then add to that a module or two at a time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group