MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DAW control of your modular over an AC coupled interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author DAW control of your modular over an AC coupled interface
robinv
I've been looking into this for a while and wanted to share my findings in the hope that other people find it useful. There's not a lot of hard information out there on using AC coupled audio interfaces so hopefully this will fill a gap. Thanks to Expert Sleepers for setting me straight on a couple of things and the comments from the community that constantly make me rethink my approach to it.

BenA718
Been following your journey on YouTube; actually watched the first half of this video last night. Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!
oberdada
Thanks for this pedagogical video. It's a bit on the longish side though, so I skipped a few parts of it. I think it would be useful to have a concise summary that explains what's going on and why it works, without relying too much on specific modules and DAW.

I experimented with sending CV encoded as amplitude modulated sinusoids a few years back, so I don't recall all the details. My idea was to use a rectifier followed by a slew limiter to transform the audio rate bipolar signal to slow unipolar CV. You can't get sharp transitions this way because of the sluggish response of the slew limiter. I think that I also found out that it was way too complicated to get any precise control of the CV levels.

The easiest thing to do is to send triggers through an AC-coupled interface, but you'll need an amplifier on the receiving end.
Navs
Not sure I understand - controlling the modular from a DAW is a cinch. The other way round is the more problematic of the two but, as you note, AM or Expert Sleepers can help.

With modular-to-DAW, the question for me is, which CV signal is so interesting that you would want to do this and not just use 'interesting' MIDI? I settled on the Nord Modular G2, but Pure Data etc. is also an option.

hmmm.....
robinv
oberdada wrote:
Thanks for this pedagogical video. It's a bit on the longish side though, so I skipped a few parts of it. I think it would be useful to have a concise summary that explains what's going on and why it works, without relying too much on specific modules and DAW.

Thanks for the comments. What I'm finding in my journey is that there's a lot of assumed knowledge to the point of there being a whole modular vocabulary and expected level of engineering required to even enter the conversation. So part of what I enjoy about making these videos is breaking things down to the simplest components. I want everyone to be able to understand and access this marvellous world of modular, so I'm aiming at people who don't know rather than those who do - and sometimes that takes longer. And the best bits are always in the bits you skip smile
oberdada
robinv wrote:
And the best bits are always in the bits you skip smile

Damn, that's what I suspected!

Anyway, I think the video is excellent for its intended audience.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1